Any history lovers here?

A lot of my graduate study centers around American westward expansion and its social consequences, both for individual communities and the nation’s identity as a whole. I’ve always loved studying why systems are the way that they are and why we act the way that we do, and history is the primary context for all of that.

Internal shame kept me from doing much research on the social history of peeing/bathrooms in undergrad, but I’m finding a few resources now that I’ll be ordering from Thriftbooks in the near future. This article by The Washington Post is immediately fascinating to me—it summarizes the dramatic shift that industrialization and sanitation had on our society and how modern public restrooms have been used to maintain social hierarchies, i.e. patriarchy/gender binary, white supremacy, and economic class. 

That’s one of the features of all of this, that in public restrooms people are exposed, and they are made socially vulnerable in a way they are ordinarily not. Things like clothing, and our habits, mask our animalistic privacies, and the bathroom unmasks, or risks unmasking them. So the distinctions among human beings, and who has the right to see whom, come fiercely into play.

Will try to update if I find anything particularly cool in my research!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I love history and I have a related education but the only path forward was the doctoral track and I was firmly turned away when my favorite professor told me how stressed he was about his minivan's tranny going out. It just hit me that if a man this smart and educated with a job at a major university was worried about a transmission in a relatively cheap car I needed to do somethings else. (So I did red neck shit and made a bunch of money and bought a house). The outcome is that I am board, have a house and an easy job. Regrets? some

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2023 at 6:53 PM, marking my territory said:

I remember reading this one legend that said this one greek waterfall formed because Zeus came down from mount Olympus and relieved himself off the side of a cliff. 

Great natural sites always seem to attract men's interest in peeing. So many men piss off into the grand canyon, to mark, to conquer such a majestic place.

Dr4iucmhj78mj6wAnCOQOGOqrWlz7C_sTtHNJ4eIeDw.jpg

Then u ll like the myth of how Orion the Hunter was born.

It is said that one time the Gods visited King Yrieus in Greece.

The king let them stay in his Palace and while they were there they heard the king's plea about giving him a son and heir as he was a widower and old.

The Gods took pity on him and asked for the skin of the bull that the king sacrificed in their honor.

The King brought the skin of the animal and then all the gods and goddesses urinated on it. (In some other versions its onlyb3 Gods who urinate the skin but in most version all the Gods pee on the skin)

Zeus took the skin with the divine pee and buried it and before leaving he told the King to undig the skin in 9 months.

After 9 months the King dug out the skin as told only to find the baby Orion inside it.