Any history lovers here?

I'd love to go back to the era of early flight, not much more than a hundred years. There's something very appealing to me in being among the first to soar above the earth and see what's on the ground from a totally new perspective.

Then again, if I could only back fifty or so, I'd want to be one of the astronauts who first stepped on the moon. At least I've been fortunate enough to talk to one of them.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, glad1 said:

I'd love to go back to the era of early flight, not much more than a hundred years. There's something very appealing to me in being among the first to soar above the earth and see what's on the ground from a totally new perspective.

Then again, if I could only back fifty or so, I'd want to be one of the astronauts who first stepped on the moon. At least I've been fortunate enough to talk to one of them.

I'd go back to that first rocket launch sent the first man into space 

• Agree 1

I have always had a keen interest in ancient history and mythology. I am well read in Egyptian, Greek and Roman history. I am particularly interested in Greek history and could talk about it for hours Particularly the life and conquests of Alexander The Great   

If I could bring something back from history, say if I had a time machine and could go back, I would love to bring back the knowledge and techniques of how they built the Great Pyramid of Giza. It still blows me away how they did that. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, marking my territory said:

I want to hear about your love of history! Any era! Any subject! 

Fashion, politics, war, weird phenomenons, religion, family history tell me about it! Whats one thing from the past you would bring back? I would probably bring back chamber pots and their everyday use.

Whats one part of history you can talk about for hours? The wild west? Revolutionary France? I want to hear it all!😍

If it's history related to peeing, I read a book several years ago about the French Revolution that commented at one point that when Marie Antoinette was being taken away to the guillotine from the place where she had been imprisoned, she stopped to pee in a corner of the courtyard before they led her away.  It was obviously in full view of everyone present for it to be recorded for posterity.  Apparently she didn't want to leave this world with a full bladder.  I don't know if she was just thinking about comfort in the moment, or if she didn't want her bladder releasing at the moment of execution in front of the crowd.  In another part of the book it stated that, before the revolution, the royal family was constantly surrounded by servants and members of the nobility in the palace.  Apparently even during their intimate marital moments there were always people within earshot in case the king or queen needed something.  So I assume they both would have been very comfortable peeing in the presence of others.

As far as something that I would like to bring back from history, I suppose for me it would be to go back to the time when I was growing up in the 1970s when undivided urinals and urinal troughs were commonplace everywhere.  I was too concerned about my privacy as a child so I never took advantage of the opportunity to use them.  Today the trend is to greater and greater privacy in public toilets so I feel like I missed out.

Edited by niceguy1
  • Like 2

Right around the industrial revolution, I would kidnap the guys responsible for greyhound and ford, transport them here to show them how they fucked with our transportation system, and then kill them so it never happens (assuming time works in a linear way of course, probably doesn't though). I could talk about how much industrial revolution leaders fucked with the united states for hours because I have a DEEP passion for trains as a freight and human transport system. We are missing out on so much technological evolution in that area because a few fuckers thought it'd be nice to make a quick buck by lobbying against public transport trams, installing non-functional bus systems, putting everyone in cars and then fucking up the environment by expanding roadways into highways and popularizing suburbs, thus promoting segregation. If not for that, I could almost guarantee you we would have three times more public land, a healthier environment, and less polarized political climate. If we were all conditioned to normalize public transport the way we normalize highways and personal transport, we could probably have something close to a Hyperloop ACTUALLY in development, and not the facade Elon put on just because he didn't want California to build a long distance public transportation system (WHICH THEY DESERVE! Of all the places the people working for that one front company whos name escapes me, they were the most successful in California).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, marking my territory said:

I didn't know about Marie Antoinette peeing before her execution, but I imagine thats fairly common for someone about to be executed.

Did you know that due to lack of bathrooms in Versailles it wasn't uncommon for servants to be seen urinating in the halls? And that some noble women were denied the bathroom while waiting on the queen? There are a few stories of some of the noble ladies having accidents, which I fond strange because of the prevalence of the bourdaloue at the time

main-qimg-d05e909b1e4579e470b6f214d2464085-lq.jpeg

Some of the ones I've seen looked like they wouldn't be able to hold all that much. Can you imagine being so desperate that you overflowed one and your stream was still going strong? 

I suppose, back in the days before Big Gulps, Starbucks Trentas and two-liter water bottles, bladders were much smaller.

Earlier I had a little discussion with my Nephew about my country (Scotland) producing trillions of pounds worth of oil, only for it to be stolen by our neighbours (England).

And now, instead of being an oil rich country, every week another part of the UK sector is going on strike.

Talking of pissing. England have pissed all of our wealth against the wall.

So yeah, in that respect, not a great fan of history... as we've been tethered to a fuckwit nation (England).

How the Scots Invented the Modern World

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
13 minutes ago, marking my territory said:

I didn't know about Marie Antoinette peeing before her execution, but I imagine thats fairly common for someone about to be executed.

Did you know that due to lack of bathrooms in Versailles it wasn't uncommon for servants to be seen urinating in the halls? And that some noble women were denied the bathroom while waiting on the queen? There are a few stories of some of the noble ladies having accidents, which I fond strange because of the prevalence of the bourdaloue at the time

Didn't people in Antoinette's day pee on the floor in those huge dresses they wore?

1 hour ago, marking my territory said:

I want to hear about your love of history! Any era! Any subject! 

Fashion, politics, war, weird phenomenons, religion, family history tell me about it! Whats one thing from the past you would bring back? I would probably bring back chamber pots and their everyday use.

Whats one part of history you can talk about for hours? The wild west? Revolutionary France? I want to hear it all!😍

I'm an archaeologist, so if you have anything to ask about that then feel free👍

I have a particular love of history, both for its own sake and because it helps us to better  understand the world we inhabit today.  Obviously the history of sanitation, and sometimes the lack thereof, is one of my interests.  

15 minutes ago, marking my territory said:

The book with the anecdote about Marie Antoinette is about more than just the French Revolution. It discusses the last decade of the 18th century, focusing on America, France and Russia during this period.  It's called "The Great Upheaval: America and the Birth of the Modern World 1788 - 1800" by Jay Winik.  It was a pretty fascinating read. 

I had never heard of the bourdaloue, I had to Google that one.  But I know that before the mid 1800s and the advent of indoor plumbing, chamber pots or peeing outside were the only ways to get the job done.  So definitely a much greater tolerance of public urination than today.  It seems like the bourdaloue may have been used by women in a standing position.  I don't know if they normally excused themselves to find a private place to do it, or if the long dresses provided enough coverage to simply pee without leaving whatever group they happened to be in. 

In another book that discussed the French Enlightenment philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who lived during the same time period, it mentioned that he had some kind of deformity to his penis that made public urination difficult for him.  Apparently he was seen outside at a party of one of his patrons in the nobility and ending up peeing all down his leg due to the deformity.  It seemed to contribute to the generally negative attitude he was apparently known to have. 

1 hour ago, glad1 said:

Some of the ones I've seen looked like they wouldn't be able to hold all that much. Can you imagine being so desperate that you overflowed one and your stream was still going strong? 

I suppose, back in the days before Big Gulps, Starbucks Trentas and two-liter water bottles, bladders were much smaller.

The older chamber pots and bourdaloues probably held enough, but their odd shape makes them seem small.  I doubt that bladders have changed that much in capacity.  Women's bladders may have been even larger back then, because of the lack of women's facilities and the need to hold until a socially acceptable place is found.

8 hours ago, niceguy1 said:

In another book that discussed the French Enlightenment philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who lived during the same time period, it mentioned that he had some kind of deformity to his penis that made public urination difficult for him.  Apparently he was seen outside at a party of one of his patrons in the nobility and ending up peeing all down his leg due to the deformity.  It seemed to contribute to the generally negative attitude he was apparently known to have. 

Perhaps a true medical case of a micropenis? Or maybe a tear in the opening of his urethra? Probably cause a very wild stream if it was but alas...we'll never know

7 hours ago, DoctorDoctor said:

The older chamber pots and bourdaloues probably held enough, but their odd shape makes them seem small.  I doubt that bladders have changed that much in capacity.  Women's bladders may have been even larger back then, because of the lack of women's facilities and the need to hold until a socially acceptable place is found.

Keeping in mind water wasn't as largely consumed as beer or wine. The alcohol encourages more urine output but I can't imagine they could drink watered down beer as much as today's modern woman nearly makes a challenge of drinking gallons 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, marking my territory said:

Perhaps a true medical case of a micropenis? Or maybe a tear in the opening of his urethra? Probably cause a very wild stream if it was but alas...we'll never know

It was a few years ago when I read this.  The author didn't give too much detail but he didn't say anything to make me think it was a micropenis.  I understood it to be some problem with the urethra or the tip of the penis that didn't allow the stream to come out neatly.  And it sounds like it wasn't a one-time occurrence, but something he struggled with throughout his life.  Obviously, there was no modern medical technology back then to correct the problem.

9 minutes ago, niceguy1 said:

It was a few years ago when I read this.  The author didn't give too much detail but he didn't say anything to make me think it was a micropenis.  I understood it to be some problem with the urethra or the tip of the penis that didn't allow the stream to come out neatly.  And it sounds like it wasn't a one-time occurrence, but something he struggled with throughout his life.  Obviously, there was no modern medical technology back then to correct the problem.

I bet its a very simple procedure now, how many times those in the past have been damned by ignorance. 

That being said, I would've liked to have lived in a time that was more accepting of public or non facilities based urination. Living in an era where women going commando wouldn't have been too bad either.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Hot 1
10 hours ago, Xanthous Gaze said:

Some time before 2010, I don't remember the year I was there...I was on Vacation in California. One of the old baseball stadiums had the piss troughs like the one you described. I can be an animal, but I will say... the piss sitting in that trough was beyond nasty brother. I think it might have been the Dodgers stadium. If that ball stadium hasn't been updated in all this time. You may be able to go there and have your nostalgia. 

Don't get me wrong, I've used plenty of troughs over the years as an adult.  In bars in college, and in gas stations, bus stations and markets when I lived in Mexico, and there are a few in parks where I live now.  I was just saying if I had used them starting in kindergarten it would have been more normalized for me and less likely to strike fear in me the first time I saw one in college lol.  I don't go to sports events too often but I know that is the best place to find undivided urinals and troughs, even today.  There is a convention center here in town that used to have open urinals but when it got renovated in the last decade they added dividers.  That is the general trend today.  In a nearby city, though, I went to a concert at a basketball arena a few years ago and there were shiny brand new urinals with no dividers there, so there is hope.  Obviously, regular maintenance is nice regardless of the type of facilities.  In Mexico especially there were sometimes some pretty nasty odors in the public bathrooms there. 

10 hours ago, marking my territory said:

I bet its a very simple procedure now, how many times those in the past have been damned by ignorance. 

That being said, I would've liked to have lived in a time that was more accepting of public or non facilities based urination. Living in an era where women going commando wouldn't have been too bad either.

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to relieve oneself whenever and wherever, within reason, when in public without fear of legal repercussions or social disapproval.  Certainly that was the case most often in the past, at least for men.  I confess that before you mentioned the bourdaloue I had always assumed that women on long carriage rides would have urinated in the bushes at the side of the road.  Now I realize that it probably was more often done inside the carriage, at least for the upper class women.  Today, the US is too restrictive with public urination.  More openness is to be found in Europe, China and the third world.  At this point in my life I'm not able to just up and go there, but I still may try to at some point in the future. 

You did make me think of one experience I had in Mexico before I met my wife.  I was at the beach with a close male friend and two girls, one a Mexican and the other one a Canadian who was something like a short-term exchange student (I don't remember the exact arrangement) who was also a friend of the first girl.  It was a rustic beach without any facilities.  As we were walking back to the car, the Canadian girl announced loudly, "I have to pee!"  She then started talking aloud about where she should do it.  Then she said, "I think I'll do it here!"  I thought she was going to just drop into a squat and do it on the path, but then she seemed to change her mind and walked around behind this little building that was there.  I'm not sure what caused her change of heart but she seemed like the kind of person who was not averse to public urination whenever the opportunity presented itself.

I also didn't realize that women's underwear is a relatively new invention, becoming more commonplace in the mid 1800s from what I read.  For those of you who understand Spanish, there's a funny phrase they use in Mexico for "going commando".  When my wife didn't have any clean underwear to put on, she would say, "Ando directa".  That always seemed like a blunt, descriptive term to me!  But from what I understand, it's more common today than in the recent past, at least for younger women.  But I suppose it depends on the situation.

1 hour ago, niceguy1 said:

I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to relieve oneself whenever and wherever, within reason, when in public without fear of legal repercussions or social disapproval.  Certainly that was the case most often in the past, at least for men.  I confess that before you mentioned the bourdaloue I had always assumed that women on long carriage rides would have urinated in the bushes at the side of the road.  Now I realize that it probably was more often done inside the carriage, at least for the upper class women.  Today, the US is too restrictive with public urination.  More openness is to be found in Europe, China and the third world.  At this point in my life I'm not able to just up and go there, but I still may try to at some point in the future. 

I also didn't realize that women's underwear is a relatively new invention, becoming more commonplace in the mid 1800s from what I read.  For those of you who understand Spanish, there's a funny phrase they use in Mexico for "going commando".  When my wife didn't have any clean underwear to put on, she would say, "Ando directa".  That always seemed like a blunt, descriptive term to me!  But from what I understand, it's more common today than in the recent past, at least for younger women.  But I suppose it depends on the situation.

Even when the first female underwear (bloomers) were introduced they were more similar pantaloons than what we think of. Since the fashion throughout history usually has been long and multiple skirts for women, the first undies were open crotch as you can see, easy for any quick urge to be relieved.

Minus the modern day thong, thats essentially the design. I can understand why women always moved in groups and never stirred in rough areas if they could avoid it, I can imagine how vulnerable a woman would feel wandering alone without even a thin layer of cotton to protect your sex from rapists.

I'm curious how common for the common woman public urination would have been? Certainly it was looked down upon by the middle class, always striving to the sophistication of their "betters". I have to think the odd woman would've ducked into an alley if they could help it but for the most part only the most lost and downtrodden women would've been pissing in the gutters. Don't quote me on it though, just a guess.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by marking my territory
Forgot the photo😅
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Hot 1
6 hours ago, marking my territory said:

I'm curious how common for the common woman public urination would have been? Certainly it was looked down upon by the middle class, always striving to the sophistication of their "betters". I have to think the odd woman would've ducked into an alley if they could help it but for the most part only the most lost and downtrodden women would've been pissing in the gutters. Don't quote me on it though, just a guess.

I imagine both the lack of facilities and the awkwardness of the clothing would have discouraged most upper class women from travel and exploration. But, surely they're must have been a few whose curiosity got the better of them. I love to read their accounts of how they dealt with those times when they got caught short.

And, there were all those pioneer women who trekked across the country in search of new land. In the days before fast food restaurants, convenience stores and tourist rest areas, one has to wonder how they fared whenever nature called. Somehow, I suspect nature provided the answer.

• Agree 1
22 minutes ago, peebus10 said:

These open crotch bloomers are very convenient for peeing. In China it’s not uncommon to see kids wear them so they can just pee on the street. There’s a rare shot from the Josephine Mutzenbacher series (part 3)where she is demonstrating it’s also very useful for peeing standing up. 

4C1501E4-99AD-4DE4-839A-E71380758D99.jpeg

omg that's the best invention ever.... 

• Agree 1

I enjoy the ancient history... especially the ancient Greece stuff.... all the God's of Olympus and the story of Troy especially...

Also back then there weren't the same public nudity laws and shit and no social media or daring apps... you had to actually go out and meet people.  And people didn't have all the stupid hang ups about stuff that they do now.

I would love to have been alive back then