Hobbies

LovesToWet

I've recently began painting and drawing again, which is something I used to do a lot. It's really nice and I find it can be very relaxing. 

My others hobbies are more energetic as I enjoy walking, running and cycling. 

What do you like doing to relax, what's your passions and hobbies? 

• Love 2

I sing in choirs, and make wine, for fun. Other things I really enjoy doing might be considered chores, like cooking ( I am very happy in the kitchen 🙂) or keeping on top of the garden. I walk in the countryside and I run.

• Like 1

My main hobby is model railroading - as a kid, I had a train set, set up a double oval track on a sheet of 8' x 4' board.  But with retirement imminent, I wanted a hobby where I could use and develop lots of skills.  Now all I need is a nice big room where I can build my layout.  Until then, I run my trains on a club layout here in Jacksonville.

20180708_110241.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting question.

My lifelong interest has been model aeroplanes, but I also grow stuff mainly tomatoes potatoes chilli peppers, I collect vinyl records

Oh and motorsport

Edited by JesseP
Added another interest
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Kupar said:

I sing in choirs, and make wine, for fun. Other things I really enjoy doing might be considered chores, like cooking ( I am very happy in the kitchen 🙂) or keeping on top of the garden. I walk in the countryside and I run.

I don't find cooking a chore, I always do it at the weekends and if I'm home in time during the week. Gardening on the other hand is a chore, I don't really enjoy that.

Walking is nice, I too enjoy that and my youngest is starting to like it too. She wants to hike up Snowden next year so that's our challenge

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Peenicks said:

I used to be really into Lego building, I'd like to get back into it but shit's expensive. My hobbies nowadays are collecting playing cards and bowling

Same. I splurged recently and bought one of those Creator sets. I always liked those cause you can build three in one- best value. Anyway, it's a pirate set. I built the ship and the bunker, just gotta make the skull island.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Peenicks said:

I used to be really into Lego building, I'd like to get back into it but shit's expensive. My hobbies nowadays are collecting playing cards and bowling

I still love that, I've managed to get few good sets over the past few years and my wife has got me a great set for Xmas (it's sat on top of my wardrobe teasing me at the mo). I would love to  uy more as there's some lovely sets out there but it's far to expensive to be a main hobby. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not that I have any time for anything that brings me joy anymore, but when I did (and maybe when school lets out for myself and the kiddos) I really enjoyed playing video games. I primarily played on Ps5 and Switch, but because the kids always hugged the TV I really only got to play on the Switch lol. I like open world, play at your own pace games like Fallout and Outerworlds, and cozy games like Animal Crossing. Also the occasional FPS like Overwatch and Borderlands. 

I also really liked to draw. Was never any good at it but I still did lol. I've been wanting to break out the good Ole sketch book and fancy pens and markers to draw a picture from my favorite game Fallguys, but I just haven't had the time.

• Like 3

I used to fly small aeroplanes as a hobby,  but haven't done that for a few years.  It really burns through the money.

@Sophie we do seem to be interested in many of the same things.

I took piano lessons as an adult at one time,  but I never seemed to find the time to practice.  I'd still love to play,  but arthritis is beginning to creep into my hands now,  so probably it won't happen.  I did get as far as hooking up a MIDI keyboard to a laptop running Synthesia,  but still haven't done much with it.

Have played with electronics in the past - built a personal computer when I was a student back in the 1970s,  before you could buy them in shops, and programmed it in machine language with binary switches.  I still have it,  but it's extremely primitive by modern standards.   The last thing I built was a pulse width modulated speed controller for my watchmaker's lathe.  A friend has given me an Arduino to play with,  but life is full of other projects right now.

Now I am learning how to use lathes and milling machines.  Grinding lathe tools that will produce a good surface finish is my major bugbear.  Offhand grinding needs steady-handed dexterity that I don't seem to have.  High on my list of projects to make is a toolroom-style grinding rest that should solve this issue.  I seem to be constantly involved in adding improvements to the machine tools,  rather than actually making stuff.   (DRO,  quick change toolpost etc.)

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Sophie said:

I have an interest in hobbyist electronics, 3D printing and programming. To relax at home I enjoy playing video games and I love cycling. I also have an interest in hobbyist machining but my equipment is very basic. 

My main hobby is music, particularly playing the piano. I have been playing since I was 6 years old and I cannot imagine life without it. 

I have just started playing with an Auduino microcontroller, combining electronics and programming.  Good fun.  And I played the piano for many years 

• Love 1

Hmmm. I’m semi retired, and have enough time for a few things.

Computers, I have several, main desktop pc (Windows 11) a full server running Ubuntu server, Raspberry Pi 8gb, Alienware Laptop running FreeBSD 13, another  Alienware Laptop with windows 10. 
The garage has a couple too, a windows 10 pc setup as a midi/music workstation and a generic pc with a Ubuntu Desktop. 

I also restore old amps, replacing tired capacitors, giving them new life, currently have an old Roland P.A and a Marantz studio amp. These sound impressive even to my old ears.

I did have others, but for some reason, people like the ‘old, tough’ sound as one person put it. Made considerable $$$ from this. 

Gaming as well with a PS5, PS4, Xbox and the main pc which has VR too. 
M is not forgotten, she gets involved it’s all of this, not afraid to tinker either.

You did ask, lol.

• Like 2

Interesting how many of us have 'techie' hobbies - and yep, that's me...

I picked up an interest in photography from my Dad as a kid, and carried that on through teenage years.  Back around 15 years ago I got back into it with digital photography tech having advanced sufficiently and set up a part time business doing all manner of charity balls, events, weddings and the like.  That was brought to a controlled stop just before lockdown but I still keep a few key clients on the go - the really fun stuff I enjoy doing, like a week long live music event where I'm principal photographer.

I really don't have an ego about that, but at the same time I know I've cracked a formula of understanding that the actual taking a photo is maybe 30-40% of the task.  The rest is communicating with the organisers, interpreting and often pre-guessing what they need, then capturing and delivering a finished product which is 110% of what they'd tried to express. That and building a team rapport with them and with the public I'm working with.  The likes of Bailey, Rock and other pro photographers didn't get to rock their worlds just by being geeks behind the cameras. 

Other than that I dabble in techie stuff like teaching myself how to use Arduino micro-computers during lockdown.  I've lost count now how many of the little devices I've got about, all doing vaguely but not quite what I had in mind.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as @gldenwetgoose I also enjoy the fine craft of photography. It's been a hobby of mine ever since I was a teenager. I mostly take landscape photos since I grew up (and still live) in the alps. Beautiful nature all around, how can you not take pictures of that?

And speaking of nature, I also like to spend my time hiking and doing outdoor activities in general (rock climbing, slacklining or just chilling on a meadow up high in the mountains).

Other hobbies are drawing, which might not be much of a surprise for those who've been following me on this site for the last few years lol 

Writing is something I enjoy too, and recently I picked up reading again!

Also, does peeing count as a hobby? Lol

• Love 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I've recently gone back to my old hobby of model building.  I did it a lot as a kid but always thought I could do better.  As an adult, I have more patience, focus & understanding ... and my recent efforts are some of the best small models I've ever done.  Currently working up to a major project to be started in the new year.

5C11569B-1C89-4BE5-9F17-265F5B0D521A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • 2 months later...
On 10/8/2022 at 3:02 PM, LovesToWet said:

I've recently began painting and drawing again, which is something I used to do a lot. It's really nice and I find it can be very relaxing. 

My others hobbies are more energetic as I enjoy walking, running and cycling. 

What do you like doing to relax, what's your passions and hobbies? 

In my free time, I like to do something active. I like to ride a bike and a motorcycle, but more on a motorcycle. We have traveled many roads with him, and I love this feeling of speed. When I feel like exploring the views and a quieter ride, then I take my bike and ride it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have probably mentioned in various parts of the forums in relation to my peeing exploits and experiences, but my interests include driving and maintaining steam locomotives and general maintenance as a volunteer at a preserved railway.  I also like the great outdoors including kayaking and cycling.  

• Like 2