The PeeFans Sports Club

Looking for some advice: 

I've been having a good time lifting weights lol. I'll use them while I walk on the treadmill and try to do at least a few reps a day even if I'm not well enough/already got my steps in for the day. I started with 2 lbs and upgraded to 5 lbs over the last year and I feel like it's time to increase the size. Probably not to walk on the treadmill with, but just for reps or curls or whatever. I'm not an exercise expert lol 🤓

8 lbs next? 10? Something less? 

39 minutes ago, Bacardi said:

Looking for some advice: 

I've been having a good time lifting weights lol. I'll use them while I walk on the treadmill and try to do at least a few reps a day even if I'm not well enough/already got my steps in for the day. I started with 2 lbs and upgraded to 5 lbs over the last year and I feel like it's time to increase the size. Probably not to walk on the treadmill with, but just for reps or curls or whatever. I'm not an exercise expert lol 🤓

8 lbs next? 10? Something less? 

It's not always about increasing the weights but increasing the reps.

21 hours ago, Bacardi said:

I can do 30 plus with the 5 lbs weights before I have to stop and rest. 

I reckon 8lbs sounds about right if there are weights at that value. The gym machine increments would be 2.5lbs - 5lbs I guess. If you're doing 30 reps you're surely ready for the next challenge I should think. Disclaimer: I'm not a PT!

• Love 1

The weather was lovely here today: 12 degrees C and no wind, and even some sunshine, so I took the opportunity to run. I am pleased with 10k in 54:24; the pace was metronomic at around 5:25 throughout. I must try and build in some intervals next time! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Bacardi said:

I can do 30 plus with the 5 lbs weights before I have to stop and rest. 

30 in a set is basically cardio, so definitely use bigger dumbbells. The 'easy mode' way to progress is to pick a weight you can do 3 sets of 8 reps with relatively comfortably, then next session 3x10, then 3x12 and when you've done that move up to the next one. You should be able to do this across most exercises at once no problem

It's definitely slower but you'll get plenty working volume in and learn how to do it properly, most beginner lifting programmes will only have 3x5  in a few exercises which IMO isn't enough volume to do anything if you're pretty much untrained with weights. 

If you feel up to it try to separate it out from your running so go to the gym and try out how you feel with barbell lifts or even just dumbbell versions if you don't feel up to barbell squatting or deadlifting

Let me know if that was all gobbledegook, I tried to make it as non-technical as possible!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Hightower said:

30 in a set is basically cardio, so definitely use bigger dumbbells. The 'easy mode' way to progress is to pick a weight you can do 3 sets of 8 reps with relatively comfortably

Okay I can tell by your pfp that you lift so I feel like I'm in good hands lol. I'll have to go back to Target and see if I can get some more free reps out of their training equipment and see which size works best for me! 

Thanks friend. 

• Love 1

Today was not a good day for cycling. I did 20 miles but it wasn't a fun time. Not only was I absolutely freezing but my legs just weren't cooperating. I was cycling on the flats in the same gearing I would use for the hills! I actually stopped twice to check my bike because I thought I had a mechanical problem. I was tempted to phone my husband and ask him to come pick me up because I wasn't a happy girl at all but I soldiered on and eventually made it home.

2/10, would not recommend.

• Hug 4
48 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Today was not a good day for cycling. I did 20 miles but it wasn't a fun time. Not only was I absolutely freezing but my legs just weren't cooperating. I was cycling on the flats in the same gearing I would use for the hills! I actually stopped twice to check my bike because I thought I had a mechanical problem. I was tempted to phone my husband and ask him to come pick me up because I wasn't a happy girl at all but I soldiered on and eventually made it home.

Some days it's just like that isn't it? I hope you have managed to shake off the disappointment - next time it'll be better I know. Sending hugs 💞 

• Hug 1
2 hours ago, Sophie said:

I know how you feel. I too have had those days where you think your breaks are rubbing or you have a flat cos it seems hard to pedal.

You still did well to carry on.

• Agree 1
1 hour ago, LovesToWet said:

I know how you feel. I too have had those days where you think your breaks are rubbing or you have a flat cos it seems hard to pedal.

You still did well to carry on.

That's exactly what I thought! I had just adjusted my brakes to fix the squealing so I thought they were possibly rubbing, but lifting up the wheel it span freely.  The whole ride felt like my brakes were on, or I was in too high of a gear. Even small hills I barely even notice felt like a struggle.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:46 PM, Sophie said:

That's exactly what I thought! I had just adjusted my brakes to fix the squealing so I thought they were possibly rubbing, but lifting up the wheel it span freely.  The whole ride felt like my brakes were on, or I was in too high of a gear. Even small hills I barely even notice felt like a struggle.

It may have been a struggle on that occasion but I would put money on you smashing your next ride

• Agree 1

In a similar way, I wussed out of a ride yesterday - and mine would just have been sitting on the trainer in the garage.  It was a very cold garage though, and a day busy doing other stuff.

But this afternoon I got myself home from work at a reasonable time and on it.   I'm using Zwift with a smart turbo trainer, and following a 'back to fitness' training plan.   One of my main constraints is keeping heart rate / blood pressure down, and I've found even when I was fitter that my cycling heart rate was always on the higher side.   So it's now that that's going to limit my activities.  It's still higher than I'd like on the screen shots below, but early days yet.

Today though was a 31 minute interval type training session, and after it I added a virtual lap of Glasgow - just because I felt I had the energy and time to do so.   All in all, feeling pretty good - just another couple of rides a week to keep up with.

480495041_Screenshot2023-12-04at18_15_32.thumb.png.32a3cbdb71f4ea2f4fd777c47b1d6110.png 781795552_Screenshot2023-12-04at18_14_58.thumb.png.1d07c75cedf66d37525b07694ef0a9d1.png

• Love 3

So I had a pretty big one at the weekend, running the Valencia marathon. It was my first marathon and I suffered a calf injury in early October, so it’s somewhat safe to say my training prep was far from optimal 😅 as such, I just went out with a goal of finishing it - which I did in 4hrs 33! Very pleased with myself. 

I appreciate this is the ‘sports club’ section of the forum, however I feel it would be slightly amiss to not also mention the combination of 33,000 (well hydrated) runners and a notable lack of portaloos led to instances of public pissing, both before the start and along the course - mainly by men, but I was pleased to see some women also doing so too. It’s just a shame I had to carry on running and couldn’t pull over to admire the view! 😉

Anyway, a couple of weeks rest now before starting training for Manchester marathon in April! Anyone else in here tackled the 26.2 miles before? 😊

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, James_erased said:

So I had a pretty big one at the weekend, running the Valencia marathon. It was my first marathon and I suffered a calf injury in early October, so it’s somewhat safe to say my training prep was far from optimal 😅 as such, I just went out with a goal of finishing it - which I did in 4hrs 33! Very pleased with myself. 

I appreciate this is the ‘sports club’ section of the forum, however I feel it would be slightly amiss to not also mention the combination of 33,000 (well hydrated) runners and a notable lack of portaloos led to instances of public pissing, both before the start and along the course - mainly by men, but I was pleased to see some women also doing so too. It’s just a shame I had to carry on running and couldn’t pull over to admire the view! 😉

Anyway, a couple of weeks rest now before starting training for Manchester marathon in April! Anyone else in here tackled the 26.2 miles before? 😊

Wow! Well done! I have run a few halves before, but I would never manage a full one. Kudos!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kupar said:

Wow! Well done! I have run a few halves before, but I would never manage a full one. Kudos!

Cheers! It’s certainly quite the challenge, but a huge sense of achievement for having completed it. We said after completing our first half marathon (last September) that we’d never do a full marathon, saying it’d be ‘too far’ etc - but within a couple of months of that, we were booked up for Valencia! 😅 are you still doing the half’s these days?

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lovely little bike ride to the shops with my daughter. Not very far, less than ten miles total but we didn't do it for the distance.

I loved it! The roads were wet which I actually really enjoy for some reason, I had my music on my bone conducting earphones, and I had a conversation with my mini me. What's not to like? Best of all - I got twiglets!!!

Highlight of the trip must be when we was leaving Tesco car park and I was rolling along no handed playing air guitar to the song only I could hear. The mixture of confusion and hysterical laughter from my daughter was just priceless.

TELEMMGLPICT000131530650_trans_NvBQzQNjv

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Sophie said:

Lovely little bike ride to the shops with my daughter. Not very far, less than ten miles total but we didn't do it for the distance.

I loved it! The roads were wet which I actually really enjoy for some reason, I had my music on my bone conducting earphones, and I had a conversation with my mini me. What's not to like? Best of all - I got twiglets!!!

Highlight of the trip must be when we was leaving Tesco car park and I was rolling along no handed playing air guitar to the song only I could hear. The mixture of confusion and hysterical laughter from my daughter was just priceless.

TELEMMGLPICT000131530650_trans_NvBQzQNjv

That sounded really nice right up to the twiglets lol

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

I went out for a couple of hrs this morning, managed to get 33miles in. Not too bad considering the wind. Felt like I could have done more but I've got a few things to do today so headed home. 

Excellent! Well done

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

I went out for a couple of hrs this morning, managed to get 33miles in. Not too bad considering the wind. Felt like I could have done more but I've got a few things to do today so headed home. 

Great effort - well done.