The PeeFans Sports Club

1 hour ago, LovesToWet said:

Just got back from a ride. Really glad to be riding again and feeling stronger all the time but boy was it cold out.

This is what my computer said about the temperature during the ride

Screenshot_20231015_083611.jpg

Great that you got out! And well done for braving the cold!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

Just got back from a ride. Really glad to be riding again and feeling stronger all the time but boy was it cold out.

This is what my computer said about the temperature during the ride

Screenshot_20231015_083611.jpg

It's a bit nippy!

I went for a 15 mile bike ride today, I do love a Sunday ride where everywhere is so quiet. No interesting stats, or photos I am afraid.

I was listening to a podcast on my bone conducting earphones (Amazing things, try some if you haven't already) and I can only apologise to the cyclist coming the other way who I screamed "Jane Fonda" at. I'm not a weirdo,  I promise! It was the answer to the question!

141215-jane-fonda-01.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Sophie said:

I can only apologise to the cyclist coming the other way who I screamed "Jane Fonda" at. I'm not a weirdo,  I promise! It was the answer to the question!

It's a good job the question wasn't "What's a female dog called?"

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, harry_jones_1975 said:

Sub 2 achieved. Eased down with 2 lengths in the Lido. First time I have been here with clothes on. Off to the Wonky Donkey for a celebratory pint and am booked into a carvery nearer home later on. Not as Hank Marvin' as expected. 

Magnificent! Well done Harry! That pint and lunch is well deserved. (And if it's the Lido I think it is, I have also only been in it without clothes!)

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, harry_jones_1975 said:

Sub 2 achieved. Eased down with 2 lengths in the Lido. First time I have been here with clothes on. Off to the Wonky Donkey for a celebratory pint and am booked into a carvery nearer home later on. Not as Hank Marvin' as expected. 

Well done! You should be very very pleased with yourself.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sophie said:

I know it's too late for new years resolutions etc but I have already decided 2024 is going to be the year I spring back. I want to get back into cycling, swimming and running, like really get back into it. I want to take part in events, I want to go and explore the country. I want to do 100 mile bike rides. I do a little cycling on the weekends but it's not a huge amount and i am not training or anything like that.

So as soon as the weather gets nice again I'm getting out there. Look out world, Sophie is coming!

Good. You'll love it. It's great to have goals. 

What sort of events will you be doing? 

Now I'm back riding, all my goals I wanted to do this year I will be aiming to do next year instead. 

Edited by LovesToWet
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

Good. You'll love it. It's great to have goals. 

What sort of events will you be doing? 

Now I'm back riding, all my goals I wanted to do this year I will be aiming to do next year instead. 

I'm hoping to take part in a half marathon or something like that, maybe a triathlon but I've never been a huge swimming fan. It has always been my least favourite part of the event.

I want to do an Audax next year. I always thought they were huge distances, like crazy long but looking it up there's some that start at 50km and I know I can already ride that. I want to do a 100 mile ride by the end of the year if at all possible. My ultimate goal (probably not going to happen next year) is do something like riding from London to Manchester in one go.

• Hug 1
  • Love 3

@Sophie Those are basically the same as me. I was going to do a half marathon this year to try and better my previous time but I haven't run since my accident. Hopefully I'll be at it again soon.

I also want to be back to doing 100milers and 1 goal is sub 6 hrs for it. (I'm not quick, I just enjoy it).

I also want to do a C2C 200 mile ride which I was going to start training for this year but that has been pushed back too.

Its great that you have got things to aim for as I believe that helps with motivation and gives you a reason to get out. Just remember to enjoy it

• Love 2
19 hours ago, LovesToWet said:

Just remember to enjoy it

This is the part I have difficulty with. I get so caught up with the stats, and it turns into a chore. I feel bad if I haven't been training that day or whatever and my motivation just tanks. I go out and run etc because I have to, not because I want to.

In other news, I stepped on the scales today and wish I hadn't. I am 5kg over what I am happy with so that's fun....

• Hug 1
3 hours ago, Sophie said:

This is the part I have difficulty with. I get so caught up with the stats, and it turns into a chore. I feel bad if I haven't been training that day or whatever and my motivation just tanks. I go out and run etc because I have to, not because I want to.

In other news, I stepped on the scales today and wish I hadn't. I am 5kg over what I am happy with so that's fun....

I totally understand all of this, even gaining weight. I've had a shit year so I have been comfort eating a lot. 

I record all my runs, rides and walks. I have weekly and monthly targets I want to hit a d I even have a goal for the year and I get grumpy if I can't go out and end up missing them. Because of this, I find new ways of enjoying going out, like planning new routes or adding in pee stops. 

Race At Your Pace is a good thing I do sometimes, that's good for motivation. It's like Audax. 

How about a riding buddy or joining a group and turn it into a social thing too, that might take pressure away from the stats

Edited by LovesToWet
More ideas
  • Hug 2

I can fully see how all of that would affect you - and don't know the easy answer, other than just going out and running / riding without actually any recording of data.

As far as the weight thing - I'd bet that will vanish as soon as you get back to a couple of activities a week.   Is it a thing that our bodies store up seasonally for the winter anyway?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sophie said:

Motivation is a really strange thing, isn't it? Different for everyone. In life generally as well as in exercise. I think for me, if I can see some progress in terms of distance run, or pace, that is motivation enough to want to get out again the next time. Sort of medium-term motivation that will (often) overcome the short-term lack of motivation caused by the fact that it's below freezing, dark and blowing a gale. I think it is probably quite easy to get caught up in the stats and I am not sure how to deal with that other than maybe trying to record the bare minimum details: enough to see progress but not enough to distract.

Good luck with everything Sophie ... and ... time for a new set of scales? Maybe you could buy a set of connected, talking scales and write some code so the scales that would feed you random funny and motivating messages based on what they measure, and the history. So you'd step on one morning and they'd say: "61.4kg. Not bad Sophie, but your bum's still going to look big in that skirt, so get your arse out on the bike today", or "Hey Sophie! 60.2kg! Way to go girl! You can have a hot chocolate and three squares of Galaxy. For breakfast! Enjoy!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kupar said:

Maybe you could buy a set of connected, talking scales and write some code so the scales that would feed you random funny and motivating messages based on what they measure, and the history. 

"Hey Goose, 60.2kg - has somebody amputated a limb?"

• Haha 4
  • 2 weeks later...