Gunpowder club

spywareonya

2 hours ago, fannywatcher said:

Brown Bess

Old Bess too

I love this rifle

This was fired by troops either standing on kneeling in long ranks of about a company of maybe 100 or so men,either in one long line,or 2 ranks kneeling and standing,depending upon the tactical situation.All firing at once upon the order to fire.

The second kind was also used for Death penalty about discovered betrayal. I am against Death penalty as I consider it un-necessary by now, but in times of war, it fucking was, a traitor can defeat a continent.

A good disciplined soldier could get off 4 rounds a minute

I utterly trust you but… reload and fire in 15 seconds?

Wow...

getting a ball out of your pouch,ramming it into the breech with the ramrod,replacing the ramrod,pouring some powder into the firing pan,cocking it and firing,whilst all around you men are falling,cannonballs are tearing holes through your comrades,and perhaps the dreaded French heavy cavalry,the Cuirassiers are coming to lop your arm off....

This is why both I abhor war and I also am so in love with it. What you described is the most intense scene a man can imagine. Even more than sex. I think it's Paramount

For its day a great weapon.This kind of line vs column battle would go on until nearly the 20th century,resulting in the over 600,000 killed in the American Civil War.

It was effective as a combat style, given the kind of weapons of that period. By now war has become a bit less honourable, suicidebombers hiding like rats in tunnels, killed by drones commanded by somebody who's on armchair 10 000 miles away, in a room with conditioned air.

I am happy as it makes less dead (and almost eradicated civilians getting involved, which is important for my concept of honour) but…

I don't know, I get excited at the tought of a heavy-bomber deploying 2000lbs blockbusters vaporizing an enemy fortification and killing hundreds is a second, but there is something too much impersonal in modern war

Indeed, by now, I love much more the items in themselves more than it use...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2018 at 10:14 AM, fannywatcher said:

Im not sure if it was the first ever semi automatic rifle,the Germans developed the Gewehr 43,and i think the Russians had one in service.But the Garand was the most reliable and produced.In combat its more important to supress the enemy,so you can move much closer into grenade range,accuracy isnt so important,just keeping the heads down...

The Russians had the SVT 38 later to become the svt 40. It's a short stroke has piston design with a tilting bolt. It also has an adjustable gas system which is something the germans couldn't figure out. It's a neat old battle rifle

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, spywareonya said:

Back in those times? Wow...

Its was almost to complicated for the ordinary Russian soldier who was conscripted into the army. Once the germans got their hands on them, they lived them. They eventually copied the adjustable gas system in their self loading battle rifles. The Russian also designed the m43 cartridge also known as 7.62x39mm used in the asks rifle and later on ak47 and their variants.

The germans designed the worlds first true assault rifle. Its known as the Stg 44. It made its combat appearance in 1944. It fired a scaled down version of the 7.92x57mm round used in the  mg 34 and 44 machine guns as well as the k98 rifles. Its round was 7.92x33mm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

ak47

I'll post this shortly as the next one of the thread, as it's my most beloved one

Thank you for these infos, it's Always marvellous to enhance one's knowledge of these so fascinating mechanisms

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

I'll post this shortly as the next one of the thread, as it's my most beloved one

Thank you for these infos, it's Always marvellous to enhance one's knowledge of these so fascinating mechanisms

You are very welcome young lady. I do believe that every weapon designer was ahead of their time. It's amazing that lots are still in use today. John browning designed weasons 100 years ago and many are still used today. Like the m2 machine gun

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

You are very welcome young lady. I do believe that every weapon designer was ahead of their time. It's amazing that lots are still in use today. John browning designed weasons 100 years ago and many are still used today. Like the m2 machine gun

The story of Kalashnikov is incredible

I'll take my time to prepare the post

What Russia was before Stalin made it worse than the Third Reich, was amazing

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spywareonya said:

The story of Kalashnikov is incredible

I'll take my time to prepare the post

What Russia was before Stalin made it worse than the Third Reich, was amazing

I look forward to reading it. All of Europe is so rich with history. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, fannywatcher said:

Back to firearms,the Browning 1919 M2.Known affectionately as "Ma Deuce".Designed during WW1 too late to serve,but in US service in the 30s and throughout WW2,and STILL in service.A very deadly heavy machine gun.

Weighing in at around 80 lbs,about 5' long.Firing a 12.5 mm calibre round at about 600-800 rpm.This could penetrate light armour,and easily bring down low flying aircraft.Also mounted on aircraft,such as the P-47,and P-51.A crew served weapon on the bombers,like B-17,where a formation of several dozen would put out hundreds of thousands of rounds,bringing down many opposing fighters.

Also mounted on vehicles in a "Quad" system,in A-A role.Deadly against attacking infantry.A fearsome weapon indeed.

M2.jpg

The .50 cal Quad

• Like 1
  • Hot 1

Do you think it's possible to build a .50cal using the technology that's available now? I don't mean something you can cart around, either.

My drone has several added circuits and it can detect wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature, relative humidity, GPS down to 1 meter, pitch, yaw, and roll. Imagine incorporating all of this into a rifle? 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Scot_Lover said:

Do you think it's possible to build a .50cal using the technology that's available now? I don't mean something you can cart around, either.

My drone has several added circuits and it can detect wind speed, barometric pressure, temperature, relative humidity, GPS down to 1 meter, pitch, yaw, and roll. Imagine incorporating all of this into a rifle? 

OMG delightful

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Scot_Lover said:

In may of 2017 a Canadian JTF2 operator had a confirmed kill at 3520 meters using a McMillan tac 50 rifle. I would think he took all of those variables into account. Long live the .50BMG round 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Before that during WW2,the Red Army had the PPsH 41.A very easily made very effective machine gun.Firing a 7.62 mm round.at about 900 rpm,from its 71 round magazine.The Germans captured many of these and preferred it to their own MP40.Some were re-chambered by them to fire the 9mm round.It was feared by the Germans as an effective close-quarter battle weapon,as in house to house combat in places like Stalingrad,Berlin,the Wehrmacht did have a reputation for not being great at hand to hand combat.Their squads were armed with the bolt action rifle,the Kar 98k,which whilst a good medium range weapon,is no match at street fighting ranges to the sub machine gun,the outcome of the war on the Eastern front,is proof enough.

Also produced by many communist countries and used in many post war conflicts like Korea,Indo-China etc.

Of all weapons ever made this is the one id love to fire the most.71 rounds going off full auto in about 10 seconds..oooh

red_army_soldier_with_shpagin_ppsh_submachine_gun_by_klimbims-daioybn.jpg

PPSh-41__1.JPG

• Love 1

Ok, now it's time for another big hard shaft, which I love so much!!!

This is one of the world's most powerful revolver

(officially THE most powerful, though indeed DO exist some unbalanced, playful only behemoth revolver twice her size… but they aren't "serious" guns)

Smith&Wesson 500

Five bullets, each one capable to release half the impact power of a close-range shotgun round, able to pierce a bullet-vest upon good proximity

• Love 2