Gunpowder club

spywareonya

I'll start by introducing one of my world's favourite

It is called commonly "Beowulf" from the name of the cartridge (ispired to the UK medieval hero that was said to have killed a dragon in single combat)

and its true name is Colt AR - 15 Beowulf Customized Cal 50

The original AR - 15 was the predecessor of M16 and dates back to the 1957!

While this utterly new, customized version relys on the same name, but is so modified even in its internal structure that many simply calls it Beowulf 50

This little boy shoot CAL 50 cartridges in FULL AUTO, though many that tried it said to prefer the semi-auto to avoid the recoil (light however) to build up hurting the wrist and the shoulder, thus diminishing comfort and precision

A single shot can pierce an armored vest, and it is effective also against light vehicles

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The M1 Garand rifle,the standard US Infantry weapon of WW2,described by Gen Patton as the best battlefield weapon ever devised.Semi-automatic,gas operated.

With an 8 round clip,in the hands of good troops could lay down in 5 seconds well aimed fire.Enough to keep down the enemy heads whilst the assault squad moved in for the kill.

garand.jpg

• Hot 1
4 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

Semi-automatic

It is unusual for guns devised with this shape

One of the first models I suppose...

4 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

Enough to keep down the enemy heads whilst the assault squad moved in for the kill.

It has Always been one of my favourite tactics

Suppressive fire and infantry ahead

The only problem with tactics based on suppressive fire is that you need a clear firepower superiority

I bet this boy served the purpose!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Im not sure if it was the first ever semi automatic rifle,the Germans developed the Gewehr 43,and i think the Russians had one in service.But the Garand was the most reliable and produced.In combat its more important to supress the enemy,so you can move much closer into grenade range,accuracy isnt so important,just keeping the heads down...

Edited by fannywatcher
  • Hot 1
6 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

Gewehr 43

Yes, indeed

6 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

into grenade range

also flamethrowers when trenches were well done and hard for a shell to get through

useful to force them out

The smoke could even jeopardize a little enemy group and force them to surrender, prisoners are the most usfeul weapon of a war if you know how to make them talk

The problem with flamethrowers is that they are REALLY shortranged

9 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

accuracy isnt so important,just keeping the heads down…

The best tool for these are the gatlings, also called chain-guns, but they are heavy to move, and I am sure that boy you posted up there was much more effective

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/6/2018 at 6:11 PM, spywareonya said:

It has Always been one of my favourite tactics

Suppressive fire and infantry ahead

The only problem with tactics based on suppressive fire is that you need a clear firepower superiority

I bet this boy served the purpose!!!

Wow, I didn't know you fought in  a war! O_O

Which one was it? o_0

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, WantonLee said:

Which one was it? o_0

I am Always sad when humans have to fght against each other, as the only battle is against the meaninglessness of our lives to make them great again

But the masculine danger and honour of war, the fight to the Death, the fear, the capability to keep one's blood cold, the tactical thinking...

WOW

It's supreme!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Back to firearms,the Browning 1919 M2.Known affectionately as "Ma Deuce".Designed during WW1 too late to serve,but in US service in the 30s and throughout WW2,and STILL in service.A very deadly heavy machine gun.

Weighing in at around 80 lbs,about 5' long.Firing a 12.5 mm calibre round at about 600-800 rpm.This could penetrate light armour,and easily bring down low flying aircraft.Also mounted on aircraft,such as the P-47,and P-51.A crew served weapon on the bombers,like B-17,where a formation of several dozen would put out hundreds of thousands of rounds,bringing down many opposing fighters.

Also mounted on vehicles in a "Quad" system,in A-A role.Deadly against attacking infantry.A fearsome weapon indeed.

M2.jpg

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, WantonLee said:

Which one was it? o_0

Just what ive read and found out..in WW2 an infantry platoon was basically 2 squads,one would be the fire team,which would attempt to pin down the enemy keep their heads down,with rapid rifle fire,and the assault team,who would attempt then to advance closer to the enemy position,whilst the fire team were pouring fire on them,to grenade and machine gun range to wipe them out.Obviously the enemy are doing the same thing so probably not everyone going home for Xmas....c'est la guerre mon amis...

• Love 1

Ok, not it's time to get wet (for me)

638863977_f-18E-D_gun1.thumb.png.e138bab61f0dfcd22d40d06fbdde72fa.png

M61A2

The most powerful gatling gun ever created

6600 rpm (it means more than ONE FUCKING HUNDRED rounds per SECOND)

Installed also on the most modern interceptors F22 Raptor

It has a 3000 rounds ammo standard, but can be upgraded to a 9000 which means more or less one minute and a half of full fire (usually never completely exhausted)

Effective agains any kind of target

I really consider this iron storm to be the ultimate [light] weapon of destruction

A marvellous item

• Like 2
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Scot_Lover said:

image.jpeg

Alex got a 96% bullseye percentage

And the sniper psychology… I wrote a short story years ago about a sniper self-hypnosis techniques I had been told by actual soldier friends when I was younger...

I ADORE sniper rifles

and this one is HUGE Indeed it struck something in me... wet by now...

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The Land Pattern Musket of the British Redcoat from 1722 to the mid 1800s.Meaning when used at Waterloo by the British,in 1815,it was already nearly 100 years old.This would be like the modern British Army still using the Lee-Enfield bolt action rifle.(then again,the 1919 M2 machine gun is still in service so....)

Otherwise known as "Brown Bess".Weighing around 10 lbs,5 feet long firing a lead ball about 20mm in calibre.This was fired by troops either standing on kneeling in long ranks of about a company of maybe 100 or so men,either in one long line,or 2 ranks kneeling and standing,depending upon the tactical situation.All firing at once upon the order to fire.

In those days of the Napoleonic war,combat ranges would be about 200 yards.The enemy would advance into a hail of bullets,in huge battalion sized blocks of columns,each maybe of 8 companies wide,and perhaps 50-100 men long.At 200 yards perhaps the order to fire would be given.

With these smoothbore weapons,range and accuracy were variable,probably not a chance of actually hitting a man until he was 50 yards away.A good disciplined soldier could get off 4 rounds a minute,despite the mess of loading.Involving getting a ball out of your pouch,ramming it into the breech with the ramrod,replacing the ramrod,pouring some powder into the firing pan,cocking it and firing,whilst all around you men are falling,cannonballs are tearing holes through your comrades,and perhaps the dreaded French heavy cavalry,the Cuirassiers are coming to lop your arm off....

For its day a great weapon.This kind of line vs column battle would go on until nearly the 20th century,resulting in the over 600,000 killed in the American Civil War.

Brown-Bess-1280.jpg

• Love 1