How do you avoid splatter when peeing in the sink?

For the life of me I can't figure it out. It seems like an easy idiot-proof task as a male, but no matter how slow I pee and where I point my penis, after I'm finished I find there's splatter up to 2 feet away on either side. I don't understand how those tiny drops are going so far.

p_1000120643.jpg?product-images=l

I'd really like to be able to save the environment by routinely peeing in the sink. But I end up wasting more resources by having to wipe the splatter and flush it. I can't just let it dry, I don't live alone or with people who would tolerate that.

I don’t go in the sink much. Lately, just for a personal experiment, I’ve been pissing in a bottle then dumping it in the sink and rinsing it. I did an experiment years ago where I marked off ounces on a bottle and measured how much was in my bladder for various sensations. I started thinking about that recently and decided to do it again longer term.

10 hours ago, avatar said:

I kinda angle the stream so that it runs parallel to the sink basin, if you know what I mean.

Yeah I find this to be optimal. Just firing it at the back or directly at the drain is asking for splatter, gotta break the inertia up.

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve recently started to pee in the sink regularly.

I’m not very tall so if I stand on my tiptoes I am above the sink line - however I have also had success standing back about a foot, and aiming up and let it arc into the sink.  I do have to time my ending so I can scoot forward and finish on my tiptoes. 

I do enjoy watching myself in the mirror doing this.

So far I haven’t had a problem with splatter.

4 hours ago, LickerLover said:

I’ve recently started to pee in the sink regularly.

I’m not very tall so if I stand on my tiptoes I am above the sink line - however I have also had success standing back about a foot, and aiming up and let it arc into the sink.  I do have to time my ending so I can scoot forward and finish on my tiptoes. 

I do enjoy watching myself in the mirror doing this.

So far I haven’t had a problem with splatter.

I can barely reach it too. Yet I can't avoid splatter, if I hadn't wiped the counter dry before starting I would swear the drops came from somewhere else but they must be from my bladder.

1 hour ago, Foobar said:

I can barely reach it too. Yet I can't avoid splatter, if I hadn't wiped the counter dry before starting I would swear the drops came from somewhere else but they must be from my bladder.

Hmmm

I will wipe the counter before my next endeavor.

Maybe I am splattering without realizing it.

3 hours ago, Foobar said:

Urinals are similar. You think you are aiming good and don't really see the splashback but as you finish and walk away you see that the floor is covered in thousands of tiny droplets.

• Hot 1

Maybe,  just enjoy the splatter... Or accept as an occupational hazard , Or as a pleasing side benefit ... Or...

If none of that works,  then time to get inventive... creating a splatter guard... Penis reverse umbrella ? Kinda upside down rain guard sorta thing to stop it spraying upwards and outwards?

Re

11 hours ago, Xanthous Gaze said:

You plan to wash your hands in the sink later don't you?

Perhaps...?

• Haha 1

A certain portion of the issue is related to the shape of the sink's "bowl". 

I've mostly peed in round sinks.  If I can get the point where the stream meets the bowl to be to the side of and slightly in front of the drain, the curvature of the "bowl" will generally keep any splashes fairly small and within the sink itself. 

If you have a square or rectangular sink, or one with a decidedly flat bottom this won't really work...

14 hours ago, LickerLover said:

Well I paid closer attention.

There is splatter.

Maybe I should follow @Xanthous Gaze suggestion and pee down the back of my free hand.

Seems like I have a new skill to master 🙂

Thank God I'm not the only one. It had me questioning if I'm even a man since I can't pee in the sink. 

14 hours ago, Euro said:

Maybe,  just enjoy the splatter... Or accept as an occupational hazard , Or as a pleasing side benefit 

No can do, I don't live alone. The others would not approve of a yellower counter for a greener world.

I'll have to stick to the laundry sink which is idiot-proof. There I don't even have to aim, I just have to rest my penis inside the tub and my hands are free until I'm finished. In fact, I just did exactly that.

• Like 1

Remember back to your school science days - and the laws of reflection.   No?   As a reminder, the first rule of reflection (and this is a real thing) is that " The angle between the incident ray and the normal is equal to the angle between the reflected ray and the normal."

Another way is to think about hitting a snooker or pool cue ball off the side cushion - the angle it bounces off at will be the same as the angle you've hit it at.

So - if you're peeing into a deep square sided and bottomed sink and your pee either hits the back edge straight on (guys and skilled ladies) or you pee straight down into the bottom of it (anyone) at roughly a right angle, then there's that chance your stream will bounce off at the same angle, disrupting itself and splattering everywhere.

Perhaps instead peeing at a shallower angle will mean the stream bounces off at a shallower angle too.   So guys standing in front of a kitchen sink, maybe try peeing against the side face of it, so your pee runs down the side onto the bottom and down the plughole.   Or even easier on the average bathroom sink which is more rounded, to just let your pee run down the slope to the plughole.

And if all else fails just a quick swill around with water will wash away any splashes anyway.

(Just my thoughts)

• Like 1

I don’t generally have any issues with splatter.  Maybe it helps that I am tall, so my penis naturally hangs into the sink rather than having to aim upwards.  The factor of angle of incidence equalling angle of reflection as described by @gldenwetgoose is definitely a major factor.  In a bathroom sink I pee down the front face so it just flows down rather than impacting it and therefore no bounce back.   In the kitchen sink I do tend to pee along the left or right side, which again avoids perpendicular impact.  Once done, a quick splash of water is all that is required to “flush” and is much less wasteful than a whole cistern of water used in the toilet.   If washing your hands, then you are using the same water.  Win, win.

• Agree 1
On 2/27/2023 at 12:54 PM, gldenwetgoose said:

And if all else fails just a quick swill around with water will wash away any splashes anyway.

17 hours ago, Alfresco said:

Once done, a quick splash of water is all that is required to “flush” and is much less wasteful than a whole cistern of water used in the toilet.   If washing your hands, then you are using the same water.  Win, win.

Just to be clear I meant splatter on the counter. Splatter in the sink I don't care about, I flush that when washing my hand.

When I'm done, the counter looks something like this, the drops are smaller than shown in the picture. 

2062822521_p_10001206432.jpg.db865424afc02714a51d376a3165c173.jpg

On 2/27/2023 at 12:57 PM, Chrissy89 said:

Anytime I pee in the sink it always gets a thorough bleaching afterwards (inner clean freak here)

usually when I sit on the sink I can keep things self contained as my legs will be closed over so there’s little risk of spatter elsewhere 

That smart. I'm not sure if the counter would support my weight though.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lemonade drinker said:

Men - why not just sit on the bog and piss? No mess, no missing, and an appreciative wife.

Yes, that’s fine and good advice if the desire is just to pee cleanly, but I think @Foobar wants to enjoy the fun of peeing in “naughty” places that are not the toilet.

5 hours ago, Foobar said:

Just to be clear I meant splatter on the counter. Splatter in the sink I don't care about, I flush that when washing my hand.

Yep, totally get that - splatter in the sink is a non issue.   For me, with the technique I mentioned, I don’t get any outside the sink.  I may try an experiment with putting tissue around the sink to test as that would show any splatter.

On 2/9/2023 at 3:55 PM, Foobar said:

For the life of me I can't figure it out. It seems like an easy idiot-proof task as a male, but no matter how slow I pee and where I point my penis, after I'm finished I find there's splatter up to 2 feet away on either side. I don't understand how those tiny drops are going so far.

p_1000120643.jpg?product-images=l

I'd really like to be able to save the environment by routinely peeing in the sink. But I end up wasting more resources by having to wipe the splatter and flush it. I can't just let it dry, I don't live alone or with people who would tolerate that.

I have the same problem too, so I don't piss in the sink anymore. My piss stream's too thick, it just splashes all over too much and I actually feel the drops hitting back at me.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, lemonade drinker said:

Men - why not just sit on the bog and piss? No mess, no missing, and an appreciative wife.

Toilets are weird. A toilet is filled with water that comes from the same source as our drinking water. But people will taint this water (that could have been their drink) just to relieve themselves. It doesn't stop there, most people can't tolerate "if it's yellow let it mellow", so it's flushed with new clean water that will inevitably get tainted too. When I tell this to people who are more environmentally conscious than me they retort that "water is a renewable resource", as if they weren't the ones telling us to reduce water consumption.

I do sit on and pee in the toilet often. I really want to do my part to save the environment (and have some harmless fun as @Alfresco said, win-win). 

• Like 1