Women's Pee Talk in Mainstream Media

Public Restroom Use by Women - Mainstream Media

Ran across an interesting article in the NY Times "At Home" section, on July 5, 2020 (paper edition). It is entitled "Don't Panic Entirely If You Have to Use A Public Restroom," and was written by Jen Gunter, MD, a woman gynecologist, who writes extensively on women's health issues. It has a lot of general information about the real and imagined dangers of public restrooms, especially for women, which are not very erotic, but factual, nonetheless.

She does comment directly, and make recommendations on some aspects of women's peeing styles and habits, which I found interesting:

"Bathrooms have another unique hazard: toilet plume. With each flush, the toilet releases an invisible army of microbes into the environment,, where they land on walls (which you may touch while hovering over the seat -- more on that later), the floor and the toilet door handles."

"Skip the paper toilet seat covers. They are probably a placebo -- it isn't known if they offer protection from bacteria or viruses -- and they could easily be contaminated with toilet plume, so touching them with your hands could be a source of infectious transmission."

This dispels the myth widely held in my mother's generation, that toilet paper or seat covers protected them from germs on toilet seats.

"And please, have a seat (or raise it). "

"One final request, particularly of women (up to 85 percent of whom report avoiding this): Please sit down. Sitting directly on the toilet seat isn't going to put you at risk for an S.T.I., so don't hover. This often leaves urine on the seat, which means you or the next person has to wipe the toilet seat -- the surface with the most exposure to the infectious plume -- before sitting. This also goes for those who stand: Please raise the seat."

This last was the most interesting of her recommendations, to me, since I find watching women peeing while hovering or standing over a toilet to be very erotic, so it was disappointing to see her recommendation against it.

But her statistics were very similar to mine, gathered from either asking directly or watching the peeing styles of several girlfriends. Of the 6 women of my generation, whom I asked, 5 said that they did not sit down, on public toilets, which comes out to 83%. My survey was totally unscientific, based only on women whom I had the nerve to ask, or was allowed to watch. (One of them preferred to stand, and she demonstrated her stance for me, very proudly.)

Since the author is a practicing gynecologist, I would guess that her statistics would be much different, and better than mine. I was surprised that the percentage of women who squatted or stood, in public facilities, was so high. I had always thought it would be around half, 50 or 60%.

If I add my mother's behavior into the mix, even though she was of another generation, the percentage who prefer to hover goes down to 5 of 7, or 71%. I know what she did in public facilities, since I went with her, as a little kid. She papered the seat with t.p., and sat down.

I had three other girlfriends whom I never dared to ask, but my best guess is that two of them squatted, and one sat down. If I am correct, the percentage who hover goes to 7 of 10, or 70%. If we eliminate my mother, from a different generation, the percentage who hover goes to 7 of 9, or 89%, in my generation. So my very limited statistics bracket those of the doctor, for my generation, and the number of women who squat or stand, when they pee in public facilities is higher than I had guessed.

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...

Women's Pee Talk in Mainstream Media.

By Dr.P

I have recently noticed an apparent increase in the number of women talking about their peeing, on mainstream TV, in the States. I am delighted, of course, but I wonder why it is happening? Many of these remarks by the ladies do not appear to be solicited by talk show hosts, producers, etc., but seem to be spontaneous, initiated by the ladies themselves, for their own reasons.

So I wonder if the recent deluge of ads for "leak protection" underwear, have dulled their sensitivities to this formerly taboo topic of conversation? Is it now just a mundane bodily function, a lot like menstruation, and so no longer a big deal to talk about? Or do the ladies actually believe it is erotic, a turn-on to the audience, and/or the hosts, as I do?

Sharon Stone, of "Basic Instincts" fame, is a recent case in point. She appeared on James Corden's Late Late Show (CBS) on May 13, to sell her new book "The Beauty of Living Twice," which tells the story of her stroke and near-death experience, in 2001. Near the end of her narrative, she describes how she woke up, on a gurney, in a hospital, and a doctor asked her, "What do you need?"

She says she answered, "I really have to pee!" to which the doctor responded with a hand gesture indicating the Ladies room. Although Sharon has always been quite open about her sexuality, in both dress and conversation, this particular comment seemed to be outside the context of this interview, at least in my mind. The thought that she put it out there, just to pique the interests of dirty old men, like me, crossed my mind. What do the rest of you, both men and women, think?

Dr.P

• Like 1

The other night around a campfire, one of the women kept talking about peeing.  Got me horny.

My guess is that women are subconsciously trying to call attention to their pussies.  But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 2

I agree that there is more pee talk in mainstream media. The other night on Blue Bloods a woman had to make an excuse on why she couldn't come to thr phone and she said "Tell him I had to pee." 

I would like to see peeing mentioned more frequently.

• Like 2

@The99Club, I agree that Sharon's comment is rather tame, but it is placed near the end of an account of a very serious medical emergency, which is why it seemed not to fit, imo. So I wondered why she said it. The old sitcom, "Friends," had many more erotic pee comments from women, than this.

@LetMeWatch said,

"The other night around a campfire, one of the women kept talking about peeing.  Got me horny."

That would get me horny, too! I envy your good fortune. What did  she have to say?

"My guess is that women are subconsciously trying to call attention to their pussies.  But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part."

It very well may be wishful thinking, on all of our parts, but it is a big change from the times I remember, when women would go to great lengths to avoid talking about their peeing, although they would talk freely about their periods, orgasms, etc. They didn't seem to think that peeing was sexy, then, but now, maybe they do.

@muffinhuntr said,

"I agree that there is more pee talk in mainstream media. The other night on Blue Bloods a woman had to make an excuse on why she couldn't come to thr phone and she said "Tell him I had to pee."

That is encouraging. I occasionally watch that show, and I wouldn't expect that kind of comment, there.

"I would like to see peeing mentioned more frequently."

I agree. Attitudes seem to be changing, but in what direction, it is hard to tell.

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1
Guest UnabashedUser

Most guys will get hard in a flash if a girl nearby drops her panties and pees.  Women know that men get aroused by this activity and use it to their advantage sometimes, and as that occurs they talk about it and the word spreads.

It does seem to be more and more in the mainstream media and in society these days.  And that's a good thing.

• 6 months later...

Great spot @Alfresco - and quite apart from the imagery this conjures up for all of us, it's a fantastic message she's spreading.

Go out and live your lives. Pee happens, it's not going to kill you, and doesn't have to be a major trauma. So what if you get a bit wet....   (and that's without adding 'and you never know, you may enjoy it')

• Agree 3
49 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Great spot @Alfresco - and quite apart from the imagery this conjures up for all of us, it's a fantastic message she's spreading.

Go out and live your lives. Pee happens, it's not going to kill you, and doesn't have to be a major trauma. So what if you get a bit wet....   (and that's without adding 'and you never know, you may enjoy it')

She is quite relaxed about talking about what others might deem to be embarrassing.  She often talks on the radio about things that have happened to her - although I haven't heard her mention peeing on the radio, I'm sure she probably has at some stage (I just don't listen often enough) or I certainly get the impression that she wouldn't be embarrassed to talk about it if the subject came up.   Yes, she is certainly spreading a positive message and it does seem like people in general are becoming more aware and accepting of pelvic floor issues and considering minor leaks not to be a major issue.

• Like 1
On 5/20/2021 at 2:14 PM, Guest UnabashedUser said:

Most guys will get hard in a flash if a girl nearby drops her panties and pees.  Women know that men get aroused by this activity and use it to their advantage sometimes, and as that occurs they talk about it and the word spreads.

It does seem to be more and more in the mainstream media and in society these days.  And that's a good thing.

And I'm sure many women would get turned on if they saw a guy unzip his pants and pee.

I think it’s more a general awareness and openness about the trauma of pregnant and child birth to be honest. I remember having my son and people openly talking about pelvic floor exercises and perineal massage etc. After we had our children suddenly we realised that being private was pointless as having a baby is so exposing and embarrassing by normal standards that talking about pee and pelvic floor is nothing. All these things used to be taboo but now people realise being honest helps others and so it’s more openly spoken about. I know so many who have suffered since kids, even young fit mums. But hey, if it turns people here on who cares the reason behind it. 😉

• Agree 2
7 hours ago, Peewee123 said:

I think it’s more a general awareness and openness about the trauma of pregnant and child birth to be honest. I remember having my son and people openly talking about pelvic floor exercises and perineal massage etc. After we had our children suddenly we realised that being private was pointless as having a baby is so exposing and embarrassing by normal standards that talking about pee and pelvic floor is nothing. All these things used to be taboo but now people realise being honest helps others and so it’s more openly spoken about. I know so many who have suffered since kids, even young fit mums. But hey, if it turns people here on who cares the reason behind it. 😉

I agree that there is a refreshing willingness to talk more openly these days about previously taboo things like mental health problems, menopause, death as well as childbirth-related issues, etc. It's all good. Let's talk 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Zogan said:

Who is interested in real pee stories from real people found on the Internet? I am.

So I dedicate this topic to it 🙂

Hi @Zogan - You'll see that there was already a topic dedicated to Ladies Pee Events in the media, and I've merged your post into it.   You may enjoy reading the content that was already there, and hopefully it will bring more people to see your post (and to let more content be added).

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

On UK TV at the moment, a new series Sue Perkins’ Big American Road Trip - where as the name suggests, UK comedian Sue Perkins makes an American Camper trip in a surprisingly ill-equipped camper.

The basic nature of her van (which wasn't by any means the typical RV) meant we had a quick very tame glimpse of her squatting behind a bush, discussing where to pee and telling us of her weak pelvic floor.

Whether that's enough value to make the programme watchable is your own decision.  I've formed my opinion...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 1 year later...
On 7/10/2023 at 3:02 PM, Kupar said:

Somewhat disappointing attitude from one of the people in this weekend's Guardian article on real life sex.

Somewhere, loungewear fetishists are similarly disappointed

• Haha 3