View from the tractor cab

56 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love them, once I tried to cuddle them but I just had them running away!!! So sad!!!

But I learnt a lesson: if you run toward them screaming "YUUUHUUUUU WHO WANNA BE CUDDLED???" they will run away

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Hahahahah yes they will. Have you ever seen them jump a 4 foot high fence at a flat out run? Very impressive 

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, spywareonya said:

Holy fuck!!!

Do you rent them or do they belong to you?

It's enormously expensive!!!

I don't rent them, our farm buys all of our equipment. We have to take out loans of course. Just the fertilizer,  seed, chemical, and other inputs for my farm costs me 1 million dollars every year. 

Our farm invests a million dollars into producing crops every year, more if we expand lol with no guarantee of a return on that money. Gotta like farming lol

• Like 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Hahahahah yes they will. Have you ever seen them jump a 4 foot high fence at a flat out run? Very impressive 

Amazing

Marvellous

Thank you...

12 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I don't rent them, our farm buys all of our equipment. We have to take out loans of course. Just the fertilizer,  seed, chemical, and other inputs for my farm costs me 1 million dollars every year. 

Our farm invests a million dollars into producing crops every year, more if we expand lol with no guarantee of a return on that money. Gotta like farming lol

WOW that is impressive

The love that emanates from you as you speak of it somehow flows through the screen and touches our hearts

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I can honestly say I love being a farmer. I mean there is lots of stress, all jobs have stress. The smell of the freshly turned dirt, seeing a new day being born each morning, all the little ducklings and goslings, coyote pups and foxes running around. Just being one with the land makes it all worth while

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I can honestly say I love being a farmer. I mean there is lots of stress, all jobs have stress. The smell of the freshly turned dirt, seeing a new day being born each morning, all the little ducklings and goslings, coyote pups and foxes running around. Just being one with the land makes it all worth while

Like I said earlier...never did I operate on that level...but I’m familiar.   

Sometimes I close my eyes and think about how I miss the ritual of checking, preparing and greasing the equipment.   Waiting for he dew to dry so we could start baling.  Smelling the freshly cut hay lying there.  Hearing the neighbor in the distance bring his equipment to life.  Listening to the killdeer screech.  The Serenity.  The satisfaction.  The peace.   

Same with cattle.    The morning spent with the wet grass soaking through my boots.   Saddling and preparing my horses for the days work ahead.   The smells.   The feeling of it all.   

Those mornings I froze my ass off.   I promised to escape the cowboy life.   I’d read those books and articles talking about the “crisp mornings”.   I used to get so mad at them.  I was sure I’d write articles correctly describing it as “miserably cold and unbearably and horribly numbingly painful”

Now, I’m sitting here typing and missing it terribly.    Now I know those WERE crisp mornings.   I’d give a lot to be able to go back to them.   Feeling my horse breathe between my calves.   Seeing his breaths in steamy blasts.   Smelling it.   Feeling it.  

Indescribable.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, HammerheadPilot said:

Like I said earlier...never did I operate on that level...but I’m familiar.   

Sometimes I close my eyes and think about how I miss the ritual of checking, preparing and greasing the equipment.   Waiting for he dew to dry so we could start baling.  Smelling the freshly cut hay lying there.  Hearing the neighbor in the distance bring his equipment to life.  Listening to the killdeer screech.  The Serenity.  The satisfaction.  The peace.   

Same with cattle.    The morning spent with the wet grass soaking through my boots.   Saddling and preparing my horses for the days work ahead.   The smells.   The feeling of it all.   

Those mornings I froze my ass off.   I promised to escape the cowboy life.   I’d read those books and articles talking about the “crisp mornings”.   I used to get so mad at them.  I was sure I’d write articles correctly describing it as “miserably cold and unbearably and horribly numbingly painful”

Now, I’m sitting here typing and missing it terribly.    Now I know those WERE crisp mornings.   I’d give a lot to be able to go back to them.   Feeling my horse breathe between my calves.   Seeing his breaths in steamy blasts.   Smelling it.   Feeling it.  

Indescribable.  

You can't beat the rancher and farming lifestyle if you as me. Its peaceful, it man and nature just as it should be

Hell Sunday gunday is a tradition at our place lol. Sometimes its gunday during the week if iam caught up on the work for the time being lol. 

Freshly cut alfalfa, another breathtaking smell

• Love 1
Guest UnabashedUser
3 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Farmer wins a million dollar lotto jackpot. Asked what he plans to do. He says "Now I can stay in farming until the money runs out." 

Guest UnabashedUser

Grew up on a hardscrabble diary farm in Wisconsin before I joined the Navy. You learned how to work, weld, fix things, tote bails, bottlefeed heifers, deliver calves, shuck corn, patch fence, avoid bulls, start diesels when it was 10 below zero, fire guns, gut and dress deer, milk cows by hand and by machine, twitch a horse, ride, rope, wrangle.

And shoot guns. 

Lots of guns.

Now in Texas and that's what we do.

Just now, UnabashedUser said:

Grew up on a hardscrabble diary farm in Wisconsin before I joined the Navy. You learned how to work, weld, fix things, tote bails, bottlefeed heifers, deliver calves, shuck corn, patch fence, avoid bulls, start diesels when it was 10 below zero, fire guns, gut and dress deer, milk cows by hand and by machine, twitch a horse, ride, rope, wrangle.

And shoot guns. 

Lots of guns.

Now in Texas and that's what we do.

Dairy farmers are hard working individuals. Starting their day at 3am isnt for the faint of heart, it's hard work 

You learn alot about life growing up on a farm. I've probably said this to you before, but I will say it again. Thanks for your service. Anyone who serves their country has my reapect

• Love 2
Guest UnabashedUser
3 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

airy farmers are hard working individuals. Starting their day at 3am isnt for the faint of heart, it's hard work 

You learn alot about life growing up on a farm.

When that milk truck shows up at 7 am that bulk tank has to be full. Light bill alone was 1,200 a month 10 years ago, LP gas to heat water to wash cows was  300/month. Beefers  are the only stock to run IMHO.  You don't have to milk them.

1 minute ago, UnabashedUser said:

When that milk truck shows up at 7 am that bulk tank has to be full. Light bill alone was 1,200 a month 10 years ago, LP gas to heat water to wash cows was  300/month. Beefers  are the only stock to run IMHO.  You don't have to milk them.

Yuppers lol. Calving season is only once a year, you don't have to be up at 3am everday of the year

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, HammerheadPilot said:

My grandpa used to own trucks, too.   He used to have a saying 

“You want me to tell you the secret to making a small  fortune in trucking and farming?   It’s really easy.   You simply start with a large fortune.”

😂😂😂😂

Hahahahaha 

• Like 1

The whole farming thing is different in our community, machinery, for instance, is rented. One company has all of the required machinery, and when a farmer wants a field turned and planted, he rings them up, books them in and a convoy of machinery arrives. Same with the silage / hay baling service, ring the company, arrange a booking. A 60 tonne lawn mower will arrive, followed by the tractor / bailer combination.

There is not a lot of broad acre in our local area, it starts getting large 40 km to the north of us where things are done differently.

A lot of sheep and dairy here, with a cattle sale yard every Tuesday, which can be heard from our place. One guy we know raises beefers for Mc Donald's, gets him $12 million AUD yearly, so he says,  he calls it money for nothing. 

• Like 3

Wow that is a different way of doing things. Lots of big farmers lease their equipment here. John Deere has an attractive lease program. These farmers sign a 1 year lease. That way they run new equipment every year

Last year one of our combines broke down, it was October the 27th it looked like rain coming in so instead of fixing it right away we rented a combine from our dealer. Well we didn't ask the price right away(just wanted to get harvest done lol). It was $350.00 per hour to rent!! Needless to say it costed us a few dollars lol

• Like 2
1 hour ago, HammerheadPilot said:

Holy crap.  $350/hour??

Or...how about a six seat twin engine Piper Seminole? 

Or  a BRAND NEW luxury Cirrus?   Super fast    Super luxurious  

BOTH cheaper than that!!

3A831894-F96C-411E-9E1B-D0630F4D52CC.png

DCB7A248-1A1B-45B9-82BD-9174B4EC08AD.png

Lol wow. Iam beginning to think I'm in the wrong business lol. What's diesel fuel worth down south? Up here for farm fuel(its dyed red) for $1.05 per liter. That worke out to $4.76 per gallon!

Good thing our farm fuel is carbon tax exempt! Thank you mr trudeo

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

What's diesel fuel worth down south? Up here for farm fuel(its dyed red) for $1.05 per liter. That worke out to $4.76 per gallon!

Now days, it costs me $0.00/gallon 😂😂😂😂.     I’m currently in the middle of nowhere in Kansas, and at a small mom & pop truck stop at the junction of a couple of little two lane highways, it is $2.94/gallon

• Like 1