View from the tractor cab

2 hours ago, spywareonya said:

LOVELY!!! This time I would not use my run&shout tactic HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Hahahahahahaa. No the run and shout tactic wouldn't work. Your best bet is ride a tractor lol. They are so used to farm equipment that I can get within 50 feet before the think about moving lol

• Like 1

So today iam seeding around my great grandpa's original homestead. He immigrated here from Germany in 1925. He went to work for my other great grandpa who immigrated from Russia in 1910. As payment for working from him he was given a quater(160 acres of land). Here is what left of the house and the out buildings. My grandpa was born and grew up in this house 

20190522_080444.jpg

20190522_080446.jpg

20190522_074128.jpg

20190522_150304.jpg

20190522_081748.jpg

• Like 2

@speedy3471 Thank you for the insight into modern farming life.   The technology on those machines is unreal.  I've driven a couple of tractors, but they were things like Fordson Majors and Fergies.   The most tech they had was a mechanical PTO shaft and automatic lift for the trailer.   Things like this:

image.png.cfb9be5da9ce1313f8c644ee8f1505a4.png

They didn't even have the luxury of a cab or cushioned seat - let alone air conditioning.  The air you got was whatever you were driving through - rain, shine, dust, hail, the lot.

image.png.e75d2ee7008c20c4a0afde92ec95efe6.png

Edited by Alfresco
  • Like 1
On 5/31/2019 at 4:51 AM, Alfresco said:

@speedy3471 Thank you for the insight into modern farming life.   The technology on those machines is unreal.  I've driven a couple of tractors, but they were things like Fordson Majors and Fergies.   The most tech they had was a mechanical PTO shaft and automatic lift for the trailer.   Things like this:

They didn't even have the luxury of a cab or cushioned seat - let alone air conditioning.  The air you got was whatever you were driving through - rain, shine, dust, hail, the lot.

Your very welcome. Farming has grown leaps and bounds in a very short time. Iam 36 this year, I've been actively farming since 1999, 20 years lol. I've seen alot of changes. I was in high school when I started farming lol 

• Like 2
On 5/31/2019 at 12:51 PM, Alfresco said:

Can't be fun riding one of those on a rainy day 

• Agree 2
On 5/30/2019 at 7:25 PM, speedy3471 said:

Today's view is from a kenworth, iam hauling red lentils today. Driving down backroads to get to the bins

20190530_085219.jpg

20190530_085212.jpg

20190530_085221.jpg

20190530_092316.jpg

That's a huuuige truck man i always wondered how you back one of those up must be impossible

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Peefreak99 said:

That's a huuuige truck man i always wondered how you back one of those up must be impossible

Once you get the hang of it you can back around corners lol. If you turn your steering wheel left, the pup trailer(rear trailer) goes left. I haul 44 metric tonne loads

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Once you get the hang of it you can back around corners lol. If you turn your steering wheel left, the pup trailer(rear trailer) goes left. I haul 44 metric tonne loads

Back around corners😨 i don't wanna think about what would happen if i tried that with a 2 trailer truck😂

• Haha 1
  • 11 months later...
15 hours ago, glad1 said:

Ground looks a little dry. I guess you haven't been by these fields recently. 😆

Hahahahaha

Actually moisture levels are darn near perfect, we actually have subsoil moisture this spring. But I will need to keep watering them hahahahahaha

Had a chat with my son yesterday....     Where we live most agriculture is sheep or dairy - but he's done lots of outdoor activities with scouts, cadets etc with kids from all over.  About 20 miles away are coastal plains where all the agriculture is vegetable growing and of course then there are city kids out in the countryside.

So the end effect there are kids who've never ever set foot in a field with livestock in it, and freak at the thought of thought of walking through a field with a dairy herd grazing...

It's a privileged like enjoying open countryside and fresh air.

• Love 1