View from the tractor cab

7 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Had a chat with my son yesterday....     Where we live most agriculture is sheep or dairy - but he's done lots of outdoor activities with scouts, cadets etc with kids from all over.  About 20 miles away are coastal plains where all the agriculture is vegetable growing and of course then there are city kids out in the countryside.

So the end effect there are kids who've never ever set foot in a field with livestock in it, and freak at the thought of thought of walking through a field with a dairy herd grazing...

It's a privileged like enjoying open countryside and fresh air.

Iam very lucky and privileged to be able to live out here, I can't imagine kids not being able to step foot into a field and watch a crop grow(food that they will eat) or watch cattle and or sheep grazing in a pasture. 

• Agree 1

For those of you in the UK that might like to learn a bit more about farming and farm equipment, there is a YouTube channel called Harrys Farm, that i am subscribed to.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFNRLTPU9263dTOYgrVcnHw

He is a down to earth guy, runs a farm in the north of England/Yorkshire area i think.. He has a few videos where he takes you around his tractor and some of his farm equipment.

Well worth a watch. He has many videos about the farm, about crops, the effect of the storms in the early part of 2020 etc. very interesting, and he puts out a new video about once every week/10 days.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:00 AM, HammerheadPilot said:

At many airshows and fly ins, they have friendly competitions like flour bombing.    Ribbon cutting. Balloon popping with the propeller.  Spot landing.  Stuff like that.   I was practicing for a flour bombing in an airplane that didn’t have windows that open, as a Cessna does.  It ended up NOT working as the door would cause the plane to yaw and slow down to a speed dangerously close to its stall speed.   When I tried to speed up to stay safely above stalling speed, I was unable to open the door at all.   I ended up using a borrowed Piper Cub with the side opened up.  Lol.  I was still completely unsuccessful 😂

9BF013C4-2DB6-448F-80E7-0C6C37D4DD3D.jpeg

DE484A0C-B0E0-41D2-9976-A05DCE3F0990.jpeg

Flight Simulator picture

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, Sweets said:

I love the last view you sent me in Private where you was pissing out of the cab of your tractor. 😈

That was supposed to be private, now everyone knows about where speedy pees😉

• Haha 4
19 minutes ago, oliver2 said:

That was supposed to be private, now everyone knows about where speedy pees😉

Maybe I was encouraging him to share it 😘 it was a very lovely view trust me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, speedy3471 said:

Well iam happy to share lol. Even tho i don't have alot to share

Aw now don’t cut your self short.  From your picture it looks like you have plenty to keep a woman happee   

• Love 1
On 8/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, likesToLick said:

How do they get picked up afterwards?  Do you have to return with a baler?

Yup. Once the swath has cured(dried) we come back with a round baler. It takes time as the swath can't be to tough(wet) or else the bale will rot or actually catch fire and it can't be to dry as you will lose leaf material. 

• Like 1

I've just been watching this series "Wartime Farm" .   It's about agriculture in Britain during world war 2.   Before the war Britain was importing 60% of its food,  and these supplies were almost completely cut off by the German naval blockade.

To avoid letting the whole country starve, British farmers had to double the yield of their land with very limited equipment, and they actually managed to do it.   I was fascinated to watch people trying to re-create some of the things they did.

• Like 1
On 8/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, likesToLick said:

I've just been watching this series "Wartime Farm" .   It's about agriculture in Britain during world war 2.   Before the war Britain was importing 60% of its food,  and these supplies were almost completely cut off by the German naval blockade.

To avoid letting the whole country starve, British farmers had to double the yield of their land with very limited equipment, and they actually managed to do it.   I was fascinated to watch people trying to re-create some of the things they did.

We owe the greatest generation everything. If it wasn't for them the world would be very different 

I didn't realize that they had to double the yields, makes perfect sense tho. Ive only been farming about 20 years and I've seen our yields not quite double but certainly better lol. Its crazy how farming practices have changed 

• Like 1
Guest UnabashedUser

Heh yeah not that spam.

• Spam was created in the US  to specifically feed England during the Blitz.  Sent over by the shipload. Pork farmers in the USA were great patriots.

The Monty Python sketch is about being served spam - the food - with everything (traditional British customer service, that). As I understand it, internet spam was named after the Python sketch because you get spam whether you like it or not.

(“Spam fritters” turn up in WW2 nostalgia in UK, so the contribution of spam to feeding the nation under siege is not forgotten)

Edited by oliver2
Clarify