A Destroyed Generation!

I totally agree. Our reliance on technology is absurd. Kids today cannot carry a conversation anymore, all they know how to do is message from their phones

That being said, i would be lost without my smart phone

• Agree 3

I grew up with phones and computers so i guess im one of those " spoiled punks"😂😂 but i like to hangout irl more then tallking on snap etc even tho i use it everyday and would go crazy without my phone i think tech is kinda like a drug you want to use it all the time and can't be without it. It makes your life easier tho but i guess banning phones at some places could work? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, steve25805 said:

Politicians and governments have done far more to shaft the young than technology ever has.

I'll be the first to say that schools are inferior to what they were 50 years ago.  So are the teachers.  So, I suppose one could place blame on the government for that.  This is true here in the USA.  I can't speak for other nations.  But, other than that, how has the government shafted the youth?  I fail to see that.

I think parents are most to blame.  It all starts at home!  It's up to parents to see that their children are learning social skills, etc., and I think they do a terrible job.  Single parent families don't help either.  A child needs both a mom and dad. 

Lastly, if I had a child growing up now, he/she would have a basic flip phone with no internet on it.  And the computer at home would have protective software to filter all that the child sees.  But, parents now buy their kids smartphones when they're still toddlers.  To me, that's insane!

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1

Teachers here aren't what they used to be either. Teachers cannot discipline their students and they have a hard time getting through to kids nowadays. Bigger class sizes don't help either.

You are also right when you say it starts at home. Some parents lack social skills themselves lol. It's hard to teach your children how to socialize when the parents don't know how.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
16 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Teachers here aren't what they used to be either. Teachers cannot discipline their students and they have a hard time getting through to kids nowadays. Bigger class sizes don't help either.

You are also right when you say it starts at home. Some parents lack social skills themselves lol. It's hard to teach your children how to socialize when the parents don't know how.

Bro some parents use their phones more then their kids the other day i was out wallking and passed a play ground and i see a mom and dad sitting on a bench both had their faces glued to their phones while their kid was trying to get their atention shouting something like " look mommy look" she didin't even care she just keept staring at her screen responding something like " mhm keep playing your doing great" poor kid got no atention at all so how is a kid going to learn how to be social when not even their parents cares 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
27 minutes ago, peeingone said:

These parents sound awful man. It is sad that they care more for their phones than their kid. How old was the kid? The parents were they young adults? It seems like they love their phones more than their kid. Such kinds of people should not be allowed to have kids. Having kids should be a privillage not a right. 

The kid was 5-6 mabye not sure and the parents were around 30 retarded parents man 

• Agree 1
On 5/30/2019 at 11:12 PM, 2prnot2p said:

how has the government shafted the youth?

I cannot speak for the USA, but here in the UK they tripled university tuition fees, slashed welfare entitlements to the under 25s, even those in work, legislated much lower minimum rates of pay for younger people, pursued housing policies that have priced them out of the housing market and trapped them either paying extortionate rents or stuck with their parents into their 30s. The jobs available to them are increasingly poor in terms and conditions with successive governments encouraging that in the name of "flexibility". Yet they are paying through the nose in taxes to fund freebies for pensioners which they know are not likely to be available by the time they get there. Welfare sanctions deployed in arbitrary, cruel, and draconian ways are also mainly targeted at the young. These have been encouraged and empowered by governments.

And young adults today are the first generation since the war expected to go through life being worse off than their parents.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

I cannot speak for the USA, but here in the UK they tripled university tuition fees, slashed welfare entitlements to the under 25s, even those in work, legislated much lower minimum rates of pay for younger people, pursued housing policies that have priced them out of the housing market and trapped them either paying extortionate rents or stuck with their parents into their 30s. The jobs available to them are increasingly poor in terms and conditions with successive governments encouraging that in the name of "flexibility". Yet they are paying through the nose in taxes to fund freebies for pensioners which they know are not likely to be available by the time they get there. Welfare sanctions deployed in arbitrary, cruel, and draconian ways are also mainly targeted at the young. These have been encouraged and empowered by governments.

And young adults today are the first generation since the war expected to go through life being worse off than their parents.

Pretty much the same in the USA. Out of control welfare and shrinking tax base, via record low native birth rates to sustain it. Our insane 22 trillion debt is mostly domestic, so we waste on ourselves, print and borrow, rinse and repeat and the younger generations are left with the bill, crushing college debt, pension obligations, health care costs, broken schools, all caused by the government. But at the end of the day, the government is the reflection of the people. We as the people allow this calamity to continue by voting for these corrupted politicians, while we worry more about the Kardashians and social media. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, steve25805 said:

Man, you sure know how to make a point!  I'm almost sorry I asked.  I don't know what to say except that I'd want you for my lawyer!  LOL!  I was unaware of conditions there.  It does seem like a dire situation for the young people of the UK.  So sorry.

Having said that, I still believe technology is to blame, in large part, for the mental issues and behavior of our youth.  I fail to see how the government affects those psychological factors.  But, yes, you are correct on all of your points mentioned.  Good thesis, Steve!

Edited by 2prnot2p
2 hours ago, Brutus said:

Pretty much the same in the USA. Out of control welfare and shrinking tax base, via record low native birth rates to sustain it. Our insane 22 trillion debt is mostly domestic, so we waste on ourselves, print and borrow, rinse and repeat and the younger generations are left with the bill, crushing college debt, pension obligations, health care costs, broken schools, all caused by the government. But at the end of the day, the government is the reflection of the people. We as the people allow this calamity to continue by voting for these corrupted politicians, while we worry more about the Kardashians and social media. 

Many, if not most, of our problems are due to the rich people and corporate America getting off way too easy!  People under $35,000/year should pay zero federal income tax.  If the rich and corporations paid their share, we'd be okay.  People much smarter than myself have said this many times, including Warren Buffet.  Tax rates for the wealthy were higher in the 1950's when Eisenhower was president!  That was the most prosperous decade in the history of the USA!  Look it up if you have any doubts.  It was.

Why do you think Trump refuses to release his tax returns?  Could it be because Americans would be shocked by how little, if any, tax he paid?  Nah, that couldn't possibly be it.  🤣

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
42 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

Many, if not most, of our problems are due to the rich people and corporate America getting off way too easy!  People under $35,000/year should pay zero federal income tax.  If the rich and corporations paid their share, we'd be okay.  People much smarter than myself have said this many times, including Warren Buffet.  Tax rates for the wealthy were higher in the 1950's when Eisenhower was president!  That was the most prosperous decade in the history of the USA!  Look it up if you have any doubts.  It was.

Why do you think Trump refuses to release his tax returns?  Could it be because Americans would be shocked by how little, if any, tax he paid?  Nah, that couldn't possibly be it.  🤣

You could bleed the rich dry and it wouldn't make a dent in the national debt or address the governments massive wasting. With the way things are now, taxing the rich and corporations more will cause them to leave to different countries, or simply decrease their domestic investment, which leads to higher unemployment, reduced wages and reduced tax revenue for the government. It may seem like they don't contribute fairly but they invest in the growth and expansion of businesses and leads to economies of scale and massive job creation for society. It's simple, if they tax you more, you spend less because your money is weaker. Same with the rich. And once enough people spend less, businesses go under and people get laid off. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brutus said:

You could bleed the rich dry and it wouldn't make a dent in the national debt or address the governments massive wasting. With the way things are now, taxing the rich and corporations more will cause them to leave to different countries, or simply decrease their domestic investment, which leads to higher unemployment, reduced wages and reduced tax revenue for the government. It may seem like they don't contribute fairly but they invest in the growth and expansion of businesses and leads to economies of scale and massive job creation for society. It's simple, if they tax you more, you spend less because your money is weaker. Same with the rich. And once enough people spend less, businesses go under and people get laid off. 

Spoken like a true ultra conservative.  You are wrong!  If they go offshore, you tax them more.  What are they going to do?  LOL!  Your argument is absurd to anyone who truly understands economics.  People and companies have money stored abroad in amounts that would blow your mind!  Apple is just one example of a corporation that has taken advantage of our system.  The list is endless.

It's been proven time and time again that when a company makes huge profits, they DO NOT invest in the employees, communities, etc., under our current system.  It does not create more jobs in the long run.  They simply buy more stock, issue more bonuses to executives, and outsource even more in foreign countries.  Where have you been?   This is common knowledge. 

I see that this chat is pointless.  I won't reply anymore.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think I probably fit into this generation is I've grown up with technology and holy crap is this stereotyping a whole generation fo people off of a few cases. I know that this thread has shifted topics slightly but I wanted to respond to the original post in this thread.

I will admit that phones have created an environment in which it is possible for people to stay at home and not connect with people but that's not the full story.

So let me share my experience. I obviously still go out in the world, going to parties, hanging with my friends, and going to the mall. Honestly the biggest motivator for me to ever stay home isn't my phone, it's my classwork. But even if I do have an evening alone instead where it used to be I would be totally disconnected from the world now I'm not. I'll video chat my friends while cooking or even talk to people completely new from across the globe. I've met people from Australia randomly like this and we still text all the time. Without the internet I never would have even known this person existed.

Yes technology has bad effects on a few people but it is a tool for humans to use and it's isn't going away. So instead of complaining about it use technology to all of your advantages. Use it to video chat friends you wouldn't have been able to before, meet people you haven't even heard of from countries you haven't even been within 5000km of. Use it to even just share memes to your friends if that's what you want. Use technology to stay connected to the world, don't fight it. 

Sorry, rant over.

Written on my mobile phone,

Raven.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My 2 cents.

Do I think the younger generation really has no interest in human interaction... yes. (exaggerating this but there's truth to this). Does the younger generation hand write letters to each other? No. Does the younger generation actually call their friends on the phone and talk for hours? No. 

Do most generations that have a smartphone cling to their phones and care more about them than human interaction..yes. Take a holiday in the US. Let's say...Thanksgiving dinner. How many people have their smartphones/cell phones nearby or even holding them, texting, watching something instead of actually spending time listening and talking to the family right in front of them. 

• Like 1
On 6/1/2019 at 7:57 AM, steve25805 said:

Most of these things are also being done in Australia, but you seem to be a few years ahead of us.  Sadly the Tories own the news media here, so the people most hurt by this stuff are the ones who consistently vote for more of it. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Riley said:

Yes technology has bad effects on a few people but it is a tool for humans to use and it's isn't going away. So instead of complaining about it use technology to all of your advantages. Use it to video chat friends you wouldn't have been able to before, meet people you haven't even heard of from countries you haven't even been within 5000km of. Use it to even just share memes to your friends if that's what you want. Use technology to stay connected to the world, don't fight it.

Well spoken.

I lived the first 35 years of my life before the Internet became available to the public.  To go back to those times would be a terrible loss, isolated from knowledge and isolated from people.

• Agree 2

To go back before the internet would be like going back to the stone age lol. As much as I want to sometime it would be impossible. Society is built around the internet. Just imagine of we couldn't share information with anyone, stay connected with our friend's 

• Like 2