The awesome grandeur of nature

This is the Hoba meteorite in Namibia. It has been uncovered here but never moved due to it's large mass. The man-made observation area around it was constructed with the meteorite already in situ.

This thing originally hurtling through the solar system must have made quite a bang when it came down...

The World's Largest Meteorite.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, steve25805 said:

This is the Hoba meteorite in Namibia. It has been uncovered here but never moved due to it's large mass. The man-made observation area around it was constructed with the meteorite already in situ.

This thing originally hurtling through the solar system must have made quite a bang when it came down...

Wow. Imagine the kinetic energy that had. Incredible 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Wow. Good thing for air conditioning lol

Lol, 2 of them, and we also have a HRV that lives in the roof, filters and cools air into the house and it also ventilates the roof space, pumping hot air out. It can be 40c outside, only 20c inside, but Maigh likes a bit higher, 24c. Apparently it's the ideal temp to walk around naked, lol.

6 minutes ago, Scot_Lover said:

Lol, 2 of them, and we also have a HRV that lives in the roof, filters and cools air into the house and it also ventilates the roof space, pumping hot air out. It can be 40c outside, only 20c inside, but Maigh likes a bit higher, 24c. Apparently it's the ideal temp to walk around naked, lol.

Lol. I would say even 20c is walking around naked temperature lol. But in my experiance it's best not to argue with a naked women lol 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, steve25805 said:

-20 C. That sounds as cold as it looks.

O it's not that cold once your used to it. I've lived here my whole life so iam used to long cold winters. When it drops below -30 is when I consider it very cold lol. The wind can make those temps feel twice as cold lol 

• Like 3
On 1/17/2019 at 5:58 AM, steve25805 said:

This is a great shot.  Thanks for posting it.  I saw a documentary the other day on PBS about the meteor that hit the earth that caused the dinosaur extinction.  It was fascinating.  It was estimated to be 7+ miles in diameter and was speeding at 40,000 MPH at the moment of impact!

On 1/17/2019 at 8:52 PM, speedy3471 said:

O it's not that cold once your used to it. I've lived here my whole life so iam used to long cold winters. When it drops below -30 is when I consider it very cold lol. The wind can make those temps feel twice as cold lol 

That is cold, Speedy!  Here in Detroit, the coldest record temp was -22 F as the overnight low with a high the next day of only -6 F.  That would be -30 C for the low and -21 C for the high.  At that time, I had a job that required me to work outside off and on throughout the day.  I'll never forget how cold it was.  And, it was windy too!  I don't recall what the wind chill made it feel like, but it was scary!  That was in January of 1994.

Then, in January of 2014, we had the polar vortex winter.  One night at 8PM, it was -12 F with a 27 MPH wind, making it feel like -37 F.  But, I had the right clothing.  So, I was able to check on my car several times that night.  I wasn't cold as I'd learned over the years what to wear.  Most warm weather folks cannot imagine that kind of cold. 

Edited by 2prnot2p
8 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

That is cold, Speedy!  Here in Detroit, the coldest record temp was -22 F as the overnight low with a high the next day of only -6 F.  That would be -30 C for the low and -21 C for the high.  At that time, I had a job that required me to work outside off and on throughout the day.  I'll never forget how cold it was.  And, it was windy too!  I don't recall what the wind chill made it feel like, but it was scary!  That was in January of 1994.

Then, in January of 2014, we had the polar vortex winter.  One night at 8PM, it was -12 F with a 27 MPH wind, making it feel like -37 F.  But, I had the right clothing.  So, I was able to check on my car several times that night.  I wasn't cold as I'd learned over the years what to wear.  Most warm weather folks cannot imagine that kind of cold. 

You've got that right. It's hard to tell some people just how cold it gets lol. 

You can dress for the cold, but the wind is another ball game. It bites right through you. It's a balmy -18c this morning, no wind tho lol

• Like 2
4 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

You've got that right. It's hard to tell some people just how cold it gets lol. 

You can dress for the cold, but the wind is another ball game. It bites right through you. It's a balmy -18c this morning, no wind tho lol

Here's what I wore during the polar vortex winter of 2014:

HEAD: polar fleece balaclava, baseball cap, duct tape on exposed nose

TORSO: poly/cotton t-shirt, Polar fleece pullover shirt, insulated vest, winter parka with hood

LEGS: dual layer thermal poly/wool long johns, blue jeans, dual layer polyester wind pants

FEET: merino wool socks, pac boots (w/felt liners)

HANDS: thinsulate gloves rated at -40 F

I was out for over an hour and not cold at all, even with that wind.  🙂

4 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Here's what I wore during the polar vortex winter of 2014:

HEAD: polar fleece balaclava, baseball cap, duct tape on exposed nose

TORSO: poly/cotton t-shirt, Polar fleece pullover shirt, insulated vest, winter parka with hood

LEGS: dual layer thermal poly/wool long johns, blue jeans, dual layer polyester wind pants

FEET: merino wool socks, pac boots (w/felt liners)

HANDS: thinsulate gloves rated at -40 F

I was out for over an hour and not cold at all, even with that wind.  🙂

Layers are critical lol. Make sure your base layer is moisture wicking and you will be good to go. Glad you dressed appropriately 

• Like 1
On 1/24/2019 at 11:07 AM, speedy3471 said:

Sun rising on a cold morning. -27C

20190122_090531.jpg

Speedy, I just saw that our high for the day next Thursday will be -3F.  That's not the wind chill, but the actual temperature.  When that happens, it's usually from cold air coming down from Canada.  Thanks for that!  LOL!  I still love your country.  But...brrrr...that will be sooo c-c-cold!  Yikes!  Thanks again.  LOL!

On 1/23/2019 at 9:32 PM, Scot_Lover said:

It's so hot here, the Roo's are taking to the ocean ...... 

Hot_Roo2.jpg

Hot_Roo1.jpg

Too bad you can't cuddle them.  They're so cute.  Do farmers still have troubles with them eating the crops?  I saw a show on them on PBS.  Tell us, Scot.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Too bad you can't cuddle them.  They're so cute.  Do farmers still have troubles with them eating the crops?  I saw a show on them on PBS.  Tell us, Scot.  Thanks!

Nah, not in our area, they share grazing with sheep and cattle. The one shown here is a Red Kangaroo, big buggers, can be over 2 meters tall and weigh 250kg, you wouldn't want to cuddle one. We have Eastern Greys here, about 1 - 1.5 meters.

They get into the water, feet and forearms mostly, there is no fur on these parts, the roo's get them wet, and cool off when it evaporates. They also lick forearms to get the same effect, but if it's too hot, this is not effective. Some suburbs on the fringe of the city have had them in backyard pools.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Speedy, I just saw that our high for the day next Thursday will be -3F.  That's not the wind chill, but the actual temperature.  When that happens, it's usually from cold air coming down from Canada.  Thanks for that!  LOL!  I still love your country.  But...brrrr...that will be sooo c-c-cold!  Yikes!  Thanks again.  LOL!

Lol your welcome. It's because we care that we share our cold weather lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...