12 minutes ago, ABBYPEEGODDESS said:

I was wondering if we as a community could make a subsection for Spanish speakers?

I think this would add unnecessary clutter, and where do we stop? Do we add a subsection for French speakers too? and German speakers?

Besides, the forum rules state all posts must be made in English.

• Agree 1
21 minutes ago, Sophie said:

Do we add a subsection for French speakers too? and German speakers?

Don't forget us Italian people as well 😁

Maybe what would be easier to implement is if we had a tag to add to our profiles to indicate what languages we speak? Then maybe a way to filter people by language. 

But I realize this is an Admin thing and he is not often here so it makes it difficult. In the mean time I'm gonna add to my profile that I speak English and Italian 🇮🇹

• Like 1

And to add to @Sophie's point - the site staff are all first language English speakers and therefore able to review everything that's written.

If we were to allow use of other languages, it makes it much harder to pick up on whether a member was being insulted, harassed or otherwise abused or whether a member is breaking other site rules with selling content or similar.

Of course - it's easy to purchase a website domain name and content hosting package - there's nothing to stop anyone creating their own forum completely independently. 

• Thanks 1
Guest Wetling

There have been several such requests for different languages over time, and the argument against it is always the same: It would fragment the community. I know it can be more difficult to read and write in a non-native language. But you get something from it, over and above improving your english skills: You can meet and share with a lot of great people from all over the world. Languages create borders. Let's not create these borders here. The introduction of language specific sections would result in people from different countries no longer talking to each other, and that would be a pity.

3 hours ago, Bacardi said:

Don't forget us Italian people as well 😁

Maybe what would be easier to implement is if we had a tag to add to our profiles to indicate what languages we speak? Then maybe a way to filter people by language. 

But I realize this is an Admin thing and he is not often here so it makes it difficult. In the mean time I'm gonna add to my profile that I speak English and Italian 🇮🇹

Italian is my mother-language.

6 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

And to add to @Sophie's point - the site staff are all first language English speakers and therefore able to review everything that's written.

If we were to allow use of other languages, it makes it much harder to pick up on whether a member was being insulted, harassed or otherwise abused or whether a member is breaking other site rules with selling content or similar.

Of course - it's easy to purchase a website domain name and content hosting package - there's nothing to stop anyone creating their own forum completely independently. 

Content moderation is hard, and website hosting is even harder. 

Again, nothing is stopping you from creating your own forum, but I agree with the mods that it would just add unnecessary complexities and hurdles. 

I agree, English only. This forum is great because it’s a community. Other languages aren’t needed. On the other hand, creating a forum may be easy but getting the exposure is harder. This is where hard work of admins has paid off 

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 2:47 PM, zxcvbn said:

Content moderation is hard, and website hosting is even harder. 

Again, nothing is stopping you from creating your own forum, but I agree with the mods that it would just add unnecessary complexities and hurdles. 

Agree 100%