Feedback / Idea Reputation and popularity icons

This is just an idea and I accept that it might be too much trouble to be worth the effort but I thought I'd put it out there. Currently, popularity is measured by the number of positive icons received - like, love, hot, funny, agree, thanks - all of them counting equally. 

But it has always seemed obvious to me that certain icons express a higher degree of appreciation than others. For example, "hot" or "love" both imply a higher degree of appreciation than a mere "like". So how about different popularity points for different icons? For example, maybe 3 points for a "hot" or a "love", 2 points for a "funny", and 1 point for a "like", an "agree" or a "thanks"?

Just an idea.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hmm interesting idea. If this was implimented I wonder if this would change overall reputation points already given (I am not sure it would but still wonder). I don't know how others would feel if their existing overall reputation points were reduced if some of their posts were only liked or agreed to. I know that it might not bother the majority of people here (me included) but it could bother some. Not knocking your idea @steve25805 just thinking out loud really.

@Admin Another suggestion is in addition to showing the amount of points on a persons mini profile (once they have created or replied to a post) how about it also saying the popularity level in words for example outstanding etc.

Edited by lovestoseepee
  • Like 2

By all means @lovestoseepee, feel free to raise any potential problems.

Yes, if the system were applied retrospectively it might boost the popularity of some more than others.

I think to avoid that - if it were done at all - it would be better for all pre-existing points to remain unchanged, and only new ones going forwards to be counted under the proposed new set up. So no immediate radical changes in tallies for anybody. 

• Agree 1
53 minutes ago, Sophie said:

On a slight tangent, it would be nice if the points system was tweaked. At the moment it's almost impossible to win the day if you are not a big picture poster so it's a feature that doesn't include most members. Heck Spywareonya is still getting the most reputation of the day and she hasn't logged in for weeks. 

I'm not sure how, but I'd like it changed. It seems unbalanced. 

I fully agree, but am not sure how it can be tweaked fairly.

Unfortunately some users just react to every single post, so it simply becomes that more posts = more points. I mean there should be an element of correlation, but the quality should matter more than the quantity. For example, just posting 10 pictures in 10 separate posts will almost always earn more than a story that took hours to write. 

The thing is though reactions are meant to just be a fun way to show appreciation to someone, and I do wonder whether anything except the current system would just overcomplicate things a little.

On 10/13/2019 at 11:26 AM, Sophie said:

On a slight tangent, it would be nice if the points system was tweaked. At the moment it's almost impossible to win the day if you are not a big picture poster so it's a feature that doesn't include most members. Heck Spywareonya is still getting the most reputation of the day and she hasn't logged in for weeks. 

I'm not sure how, but I'd like it changed. It seems unbalanced. 

It is true that posting pics has always been a shortcut to high popularity/reputation status. I always seem to be in the top five entirely because I post lots of pics. I post them because I enjoy doing so however and often do so in large batches per post. I am well aware that if I posted all my pics singly, gaining likes for each one, I'd gain far more popularity, but I am not really bothered about that.

Perhaps different point values for different types of posting, eg one point for any likes or other icons for pics or video links, but three for likes for literary content? Drill down into the detail of such an idea though and it can get overly complicated. But pics are over-represented in the popularity stakes since they are so quick and effortless to post and each one can garner as many likes as a post which took hours to write.