Tired of winter

speedy3471

Well I should be used to winter by now haha, but I am sick of it. We are heading down to -35C again tointe(feb26). Our first snow was Sept. 26, it melted, showed again Oct 13 melted away and arrived for good on Halloween. Iam done with winter hahaha. Sorry for the rant

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Well I should be used to winter by now haha, but I am sick of it. We are heading down to -35C again tointe(feb26). Our first snow was Sept. 26, it melted, showed again Oct 13 melted away and arrived for good on Halloween. Iam done with winter hahaha. Sorry for the rant

LOL!  That's funny.  I was wondering how you could be so cheerful about it for so long.  I guess you're only human like all of us.  But, that IS a long winter!

• Agree 2
57 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

We are heading down to -35C again tointe(feb26).

Wow!  +38C here today.  That's 73 degrees difference,  and we're forecast for +40 on Friday & Saturday.

Just took the cover off the pool and I'm going for a swim in a few minutes.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, likesToLick said:

Wow!  +38C here today.  That's 73 degrees difference,  and we're forecast for +40 on Friday & Saturday.

Haha that's quite the temperature difference. Our pool in town opens may 1st. By then it will be warm hahaha

11 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

LOL!  That's funny.  I was wondering how you could be so cheerful about it for so long.  I guess you're only human like all of us.  But, that IS a long winter!

At least the days are getting longer again. You would think I should like winter as its 5 to 6 months long here but i hate it just a little bit more with each passing year hahaha. Its warmer today, it will be a high of -13C so maybe my wife and I can pull out son around in his sleigh haha

8 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

3 nights ago it got down to -39C

I would be completely clueless about how to survive in a cold climate.  I would probably die because I did something completely dumb.

I haven't seen snow in more than 35 years,  don't know how to drive on an icy road, or how to use snow chains,  or what to do if stranded in the open.

I don't know how to avoid frostbite or even what kind of clothes and shoes are needed when it's minus 30C.

Good luck to you and I hope Spring arrives soon in your part of the world.

12 minutes ago, likesToLick said:

I would be completely clueless about how to survive in a cold climate.  I would probably die because I did something completely dumb.

I haven't seen snow in more than 35 years,  don't know how to drive on an icy road, or how to use snow chains,  or what to do if stranded in the open.

I don't know how to avoid frostbite or even what kind of clothes and shoes are needed when it's minus 30C.

O wow no snow in 35 years. I key to dressing is layers. A moisture wicking base layer and a wind proof outer layer. As for foot wear a good pair of winter boots and heavy wool socks lol

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

O wow no snow in 35 years.

Here's another one that will give you a laugh.  I have lived in Australia for more than 50 years.  In that whole time I have never owned an overcoat. 

Unless you are going hiking in the mountains,  the most you need in an Australian winter is a light parka or a leather jacket.  In the northern (tropical) part of the continent you would not even need those.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, likesToLick said:

Here's another one that will give you a laugh.  I have lived in Australia for more than 50 years.  In that whole time I have never owned an overcoat. 

Unless you are going hiking in the mountains,  the most you need in an Australian winter is a light parka or a leather jacket.  In the northern (tropical) part of the continent you would not even need those.

Wow lol. I've got jackets for all 4 seasons lol. Sometimes I only use a spring jacket and a winter one. Some years that seems to be the only seasons we have lol

12 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I am guessing you don't have a furnace in your house then?

That's right - no furnace.  

I have two air conditioners,  one at each end of the house.  It's 36 degrees outside right now,  so I have one of them switched on to keep the inside temperature down to about 24 degrees.

I do use them for heating in winter,  but only when I'm at home.  You can call me a wimp, but I like to keep the house at 18 degrees during the day in winter time.  I switch off all the heating overnight.  On the coldest nights the temperature inside the house might drop to 12 degrees or so with no heating.

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:36 AM, likesToLick said:

Now that's what I call rubbing it in, lol

• Haha 1
On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, likesToLick said:

I saw this documentary on TV, someplace in Russia where temps were down to minus 60 celcius and these guys had to drive somewhere in a van. They took two in case one broke down. In those conditions a vehicle breaking down and thus incapable of providing warmth or getting you anyplace would be utterly fatal, if you had no spare to climb into.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

I saw this documentary on TV, someplace in Russia where temps were down to minus 60 celcius and these guys had to drive somewhere in a van. They took two in case one broke down. In those conditions a vehicle breaking down and thus incapable of providing warmth or getting you anyplace would be utterly fatal, if you had no spare to climb into.

Yep, that's the city of Yakutsk, Siberia.  Coldest inhabited city on earth. 

31 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

Even here when its -30 or so traveling can be dangerous. I always make sure I have my winter gear with me

• Like 1
Just now, speedy3471 said:

To cold even for me hahahahaha 

But, wouldn't it be a fun challenge?  To see if you and I could stand it with our warmest gear?  I saw one short clip of a guy from England bundling up and going outside there.  He lasted 20 minutes before going back to the hotel.  He had a camera and gave minute-by-minute updates to the viewer.  He said things like, "My legs feel like needles are stabbing them!"  He did wear the best clothing too. 

But, another guy from the west wore a Himalaya body suit, with arms, legs, and hood in one suit.  He said he felt fine.  So, it would be a daring adventure.  You and I, speedy, would probably wuss out and have vodka and snacks in the hotel!  LMAO!

The Himalaya suit is made by The North Face.  They're super warm, but very expensive.

• Agree 1
9 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Even here when its -30 or so traveling can be dangerous. I always make sure I have my winter gear with me

Isn't also usually very windy where you are when it's that cold?  It is here, like a 25 MPH wind, which can make -12F unbearable.  With no wind at all, as in Yakutsk, it might be feasible?  Probably not for us!  LOL!