Book Club

Colormerose

I used to be a big reader, especially in my teens and early 20s. I read a lot of classic fiction and contemporary fiction (of the time). I don't read much at all now (K does ... a lot ... mostly contemporary fiction in various genres), but I am currently enjoying a lightweight murder mystery by Richard Osman (it's probably just a UK thing, but he's sold a *lot* of books here in the last few years!)

Recommendations are tricky: everyone's tastes are so different. Among the classic novels I read, those by Thomas Hardy and by Turgenev (in translation!) stand out. But if anyone wanted to understand the landscape and history of the place I currently live, as well as reading a beautifully written story by my favourite living writer, it would be 'Waterland' by Graham Swift. If you saw the movie, try to forget it - it was awful. Or for something a little more contemporary, Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books are great if you like a crime novel 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kupar said:

I used to be a big reader, especially in my teens and early 20s. I read a lot of classic fiction and contemporary fiction (of the time). I don't read much at all now (K does ... a lot ... mostly contemporary fiction in various genres), but I am currently enjoying a lightweight murder mystery by Richard Osman (it's probably just a UK thing, but he's sold a *lot* of books here in the last few years!)

Recommendations are tricky: everyone's tastes are so different. Among the classic novels I read, those by Thomas Hardy and by Turgenev (in translation!) stand out. But if anyone wanted to understand the landscape and history of the place I currently live, as well as reading a beautifully written story by my favourite living writer, it would be 'Waterland' by Graham Swift. If you saw the movie, try to forget it - it was awful. Or for something a little more contemporary, Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie books are great if you like a crime novel 🙂 

I think it's so interesting to see what everyone's tastes are like and what they enjoy. Especially with all our different ages on here. For me lately it has been a lot of smut. I also love horror. 

I'm currently trying to tackle a Stephen King novel. He's a fabulous author but sometimes you really need to be ready to commit to one of his books. I'm reading The Stand. It's about 1200 pages. (definitely not smut more horror like) 

• Like 3

I have just finished a book by Ken Follett, 'The Armour of Light', the latest in his  'Kingsbridge' series.  I like those semi-historical novels.  A few months ago, I reread Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' series, now seven books.  My tastes are eclectic 

• Like 2

I am not into reading but on the odd occasion I will give it a try. The last book I read was called 'A Man Called Ove' and I loved it. It has since been made into a film starring Tom Hanks but I haven't seen it yet as I don't want it to take away from the book. The main character, Ove, I found really relatable and can see myself I'm him, just younger. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Maclir said:

I have just finished a book by Ken Follett, 'The Armour of Light', the latest in his  'Kingsbridge' series.  I like those semi-historical novels.  A few months ago, I reread Isaac Asimov's 'Foundation' series, now seven books.  My tastes are eclectic 

I don't know if I could do the historical ones. I've never been into history

Are they good?

37 minutes ago, LovesToWet said:

I am not into reading but on the odd occasion I will give it a try. The last book I read was called 'A Man Called Ove' and I loved it. It has since been made into a film starring Tom Hanks but I haven't seen it yet as I don't want it to take away from the book. The main character, Ove, I found really relatable and can see myself I'm him, just younger. 

Sometimes the movies really do ruin the books. I just read the Harry Potter ones for the first time and then watched the movies again and I'm like oh now I see all the mistakes or forgotten parts. Or changed parts. 

8 minutes ago, Colormerose said:

I don't know if I could do the historical ones. I've never been into history

Are they good?

It's a great series, it puts the story line against historical events.  I finished the latest book, which was over 800 pages, in a few days.

8 minutes ago, Colormerose said:

Sometimes the movies really do ruin the books. I just read the Harry Potter ones for the first time and then watched the movies again and I'm like oh now I see all the mistakes or forgotten parts. Or changed parts. 

I think it's sensible to try and keep them separate - treat movies on their merits and books on theirs. But it's hard to do!

I was so disappointed with the Waterland adaptation because the cast was incredibly strong (a superb line-up of British character actors, plus Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ethan Hawke - really, really good). But shifting some of the action to the US was a mistake, and the big scenes just didn't work ... and a lot of the interesting historical backstories were lost. Ah well - maybe someone else will have another go - there is a great movie to be made from it I'm sure.

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, Maclir said:

It's a great series, it puts the story line against historical events.  I finished the latest book, which was over 800 pages, in a few days.

Definitely doesn't sound like my kind of.boom being I hate history haha. But interesting none the less

5 hours ago, Kupar said:

I think it's sensible to try and keep them separate - treat movies on their merits and books on theirs. But it's hard to do!

I was so disappointed with the Waterland adaptation because the cast was incredibly strong (a superb line-up of British character actors, plus Maggie Gyllenhaal and Ethan Hawke - really, really good). But shifting some of the action to the US was a mistake, and the big scenes just didn't work ... and a lot of the interesting historical backstories were lost. Ah well - maybe someone else will have another go - there is a great movie to be made from it I'm sure.

Maybe it's one that should be made more into a mini series like tv episodes so they could expand more on certain parts 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Maclir said:

There have been so few movie adaptations of books, I won't see a movie version of a book I liked.  The only exception was the lord of the rings.  The movies were great, and true to the books.

That is one series I have never attempted. Though I'm 29 and just now reading Harry Potter so. 

Though I do really love all my smut books right now. I'm pretty positive those wouldn't be allowed as movies lol 

• Like 1
On 11/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, Maclir said:

That's next on my reading list! I have the audiobook queued up and ready to go as soon as I'm finished with what I'm reading now. Ken Follett is one of my favorite authors - I loved the Kingsbridge series.

On 11/2/2023 at 8:37 AM, LovesToWet said:

I haven't read the book, but just watched the movie ("A Man Called Otto"). Was really good!

I'm currently reading the "Silo" series by Hugh Howie. It's three books - "Wool," "Shift," and "Dust." It's kind of a distopian sci-fi series, set in the not-too-distant future, where people live in an underground silo because the outside is unsafe.

I'm currently about halfway through the third book, "Dust." The series is REALLY good - really compelling. 

The book series came out about 10 years ago, but has recently been made into a TV series, "Silo," on Apple TV. I'm looking forward to watching it when I finish the third book.