Smells & Tastes ?

Euro

For me, The most evocative senses are both smell & taste. They tend to stay in the memory for a V long time.

All sorts of stuff, like, Places of work, Home, School,  B-or-G friends, Food, Sheds, Shops, Streets, all sorts of places and things....

The triggers that set the memory off are so very  V subtle.

Don't quite know why, but a trigger clicked this eve that reminded me of a GF of my mid teens ( a good while back) that had a particular smell. A Very pleasing one at that..

Her name was Helen.. Well that narrows it down to a few Million on the planet. There really are so many things that set the mind off into wild places when the senses trigger all that stuff partially forgotten.

Anyone else get these smell-taste triggers ? Eg. Various brand name cleaning products set off all kinds of things, soup, anything,  or whatever????..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sophie said:

This might be a strange one... sawdust.

My husband has worked in a factory with wood for as long as I have known him and his work clothes always have this particular smell to them. Whenever I walk past someone doing DIY (or doing it myself) the smell of sawdust just reminds me of the man I love.

Woody smells are evocative for me too. My maternal grandfather was a joiner, and my paternal grandfather was an amateur furniture maker and carver. Wood is in the genes (no, not 'I have wood in my jeans'). And there are many woody smells that are lovely. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lavender will always bring back memories of childbirth - or at least, being in the delivery room with K for the birth of our two kids. It's the smell she had around her to try and relax her. I'm not sure it worked!

On 4/18/2023 at 3:37 PM, Kupar said:

Lavender will always

Lavender is quite something, one of those historical, enduring aromas. Don't know why, but....

Kinda stretches from Grandma to the youngest small child. One of many smells and stuff that does, could and *!?  that does that magical thing.... For good or bad? Usually good though

xx

• Like 1