Allergies.

F.W

Anyone noticed these days how all the time you hear of allergies?Someone died through eating a Gummibear or something?

IWhen i was a kid,you never heard of it.Maybe one kid in school was allergic to washing up liquid or something,but no one died from eating crisps.

Now OF COURSE,i absolutely sympathise with people that are afflicted with these.But i just wonder why more people people seem to be allergic to more stuff?

Also,if youre born with maybe an allergy to strawberries,surely the first time you know is when you eat one,then you die,so how do people know they are allergic to things.

Now,i was watching an article about this,and it seemed to be a lot of kids saying they were allergic to carrots,peas,vegetables etc.I got the impression that just perhaps a lot of these allergies are psychosomatic.In that in order to avoid eating things that these kids didnt want to eat,somehow create an adverse reaction psychologically?So that upon eating vegetables,they WILL become sick and come out in a rash.

As i say,i do sympathise with those afflicted,but why is this condition SO prevalent lately?

• Like 1

I can't do mushrooms, I turn into the elephant man, bee and wasp stings mess up my day too. Any other food is fine.

Hayfever, and thunderstorm asthma are a concern here, 10 people died back in 2016, people are urged to get tested, be aware of the risks. If heard of all kinds of things, from nut allergies to lactose intolerance. When I was a kid, lactose intolerance was a stomach ache.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess it's a sad but true fact that as little as half a century ago we were less inclined to try and over-control the world we lived in.  Today we have this scenario where we sterilise every kitchen work surface, pot and pan. We throw out food based on some printed best-before date and most of what we eat typically is manufactured full of preservatives and other modifying chemicals. (I'm as guilty as anyone in that respect).

Before that, maybe a century ago kids ate food dropped on the floor, drank whole milk and those sort of things. It probably the case that infant mortality rates were higher than they are now, and step back a little further they almost definitely were - I do wonder how much 'natural selection' was a thing then, in that a baby with an inherent medical issue such as a severe allergy wouldn't survive.  Tragic though it was, it was part and parcel of life.

Now we don't tolerate such circumstances - are we playing God whilst just scratching the surface - sustaining life where previously it couldn't have sustained itself, but at the cost of penalties like intolerances and allergies?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good topic.  I suffer from allergies, but not to any foods.  I have allergies to dust, pollen, mold, cats & dogs.  I take generic Benadryl for them, 2 or 3 times a day, depending on how bad I'm feeling.

Still, overall, people are living longer and are in better condition while they're living than ever before.  In the USA , in 1860, life expectancy was about 47, if I recall.  Influenza was often a death sentence, as were many other things that are rarely fatal today.

Some say that food allergies could be caused by the chemicals that farmers use.  This could be true.  Much more research must be done, for sure!

• Like 1

My worst allergy is to asprin.  I took it for the first time just a couple years ago.  I had always used other pain relievers such as Tylenol or Advil.  Anyway, it was very scary.  The skin all over my body turned bright red and got very itchy.  I scratched so hard that I left bloody scrapes everywhere.  Next my airways tightened, so I could only take labored, shallow breaths.  I called a friend for a ride to the emergency room, then went to lay down.  I had my epi pen just in case, but I didn't use it.  The friend took way to long to arrive, and when he did, my symptoms were improving, so I didn't go to the hospital.  It was the scariest medical issue I've had.

I'm also allegic to most inhaled allegens (pollen, grass, weeds, animal dander, dust, mites, mold, etc). I get allergy shots and they work very well.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, Lilipee said:

My worst allergy is to asprin.  I took it for the first time just a couple years ago.  I had always used other pain relievers such as Tylenol or Advil.  Anyway, it was very scary.  The skin all over my body turned bright red and got very itchy.  I scratched so hard that I left bloody scrapes everywhere.  Next my airways tightened, so I could only take labored, shallow breaths.  I called a friend for a ride to the emergency room, then went to lay down.  I had my epi pen just in case, but I didn't use it.  The friend took way to long to arrive, and when he did, my symptoms were improving, so I didn't go to the hospital.  It was the scariest medical issue I've had.

I'm also allegic to most inhaled allegens (pollen, grass, weeds, animal dander, dust, mites, mold, etc). I get allergy shots and they work very well.

My wife also is allergic to pollens, grass, dust and animal dander. Especially cats and horses. She takes antihistamines everyday and is fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1