What makes you pee the most ?

Alcohol doesn't seem to bother me. But I drink mostly bourbon straight with a little ice and I don't drink beer, so liquid intake may play a part in that. My biggest problem seems to be caffeinated beverages. Caffeine is a known bladder irritant. I drink a lot of coffee at work (I work nights) and it will really work on me. I'll drink as many as four or five good size cups in an eight hour shift.

Too much coffee and cold weather will really make my back teeth float.

• Like 2

Water, alternate with a glass of beer and I'm hopeless. Break the seal and I have to leak every 15 min, easy. Ladies are the same, except cider is their choice, if we know we are going to get messy, lots of water to go with the giggly fun.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting information you have. I am the same way with having coffee it goes right through me. I have one or two cups coffee and water in the morning and my pee is around one minute long. I pee too for about the same time and amount.

Bladder irritation can be a cause of bladder-control issues. Many adults experience problems with bladder control, which can include incontinence. The caffeine in coffee can aggravate bladder-control problems by acting as a diuretic. Diuretic substances increase overall urine production, which can aggravate an already-irritated bladder. Additionally, caffeine can cause your whole bladder to spasm, increasing discomfort or irritation. Caffeine is a diuretic and has a high acidic content. This has been proven in clinical trials done by the "Interstital Cystilis Network", a medical study/support group. Every urologist I've ever talked with has said that caffeine will increase the amount of urine produced, thereby causing you to pee more often.

http://www.ic-network.com/

• Agree 1
I'm not referring to the diuretic effect. If that was the case different caffeinated beverages should (controlled for the amount of caffeine) produce the same amount of additional urine. In addition, it wouldn't account for the same total amount of urine, but voided as less more frequently. Being that caffeine is metabolized before being excreted I can't see it directly acting as an irritant to the bladder. Perhaps its effects on the CNS increases the chance of bladder spasms? But, still, that doesn't explain why coffee is so much more effective than another source of a diuretic. Also, prescription diuretics increase the amount of urine produced, but don't normally cause bladder spasms... Again... That leads to the diuretic effect not relating to the strong urge to go.

I will agree with you to a point; prescription diuretics work through a different pharmacotherapeutic pathway. They're metabolized differently and lack the acidic content of caffeine

Okay... But, how do we explain coffee being much likely to make for frequent, smaller, bladder voiding than other caffeine containing beverages?

In additon, this study states that "The average change of urine pH in the coffee group over an hour was found to be 1.5 ± 0.0. The average change of urine pH of the water group was 0.75 ± 0.52. The overall p-value was not significant, indicating there was no difference in the change of urine pH an hour after drinking coffee versus drinking water." Sure, it's a small sample size, but it doesn't support that the acidity of urine is the cause.

This still leads me back to it being some other substance, besides caffeine, that is causing the sense of urgency.

In my case, hot tea and hot coffee both have the same effect on me. They both make me pee about the same. Cold caffeinated drinks don't seem to have the same effect. This of course is a very unscientific study, just my own personal observations. Perhaps I should try drinking equal amounts of hot and cold tea using the same kind of tea and see what happens. Problem is; I'm too lazy to do that. BTW, I don't like iced coffee, so it would have to be tea.

We should apply for a government grant to do a study of this. I'm sure someone would be willing to cough up a couple million bucks. It sure seems important enough to me to warrant further study.

What do you mean by irritate? A painful feeling or the bladder / urinary system just getting rid of it?

I usually stop beer intake at around 6 stubbies, anymore and things get hard to rise ( think about it, lol) but I keep the water going. I found that too much water makes me feel uncomfortable, not painful, just uncomfortable. When this happens I stop water intake too. Another thing I noticed was that different brands of coffee work differently. If we have Inernational Roast, we find it makes more pee than Nescafé for the same quantity of coffee taken. Again, is there something in the coffee? Tea does not seem to create any more or any less either.

The girls Rekorderlig is in 500ml bottles, and they share, one glass each from each bottle, and alternate with water. Four bottles of the alcohol and they are in a giggly mood, and fun things soon follow. We only do this about once per week, but there are some random things that happen, and these are fun due to being totally unexpected, and these ones, understandably, are some of the more intense, more tasty ones.

• 5 years later...
On 3/2/2016 at 1:26 PM, pee01 said:

I am interested in what makes you pee the most this time ? For some people achoo l makes the pee the mos some its coffee etc. If you any stories too leave a message below about it.

Alcohol definitely, even more specifically beer. If not talking alcohol then definitely energy drinks. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Colormerose said:

Alcohol definitely, even more specifically beer. If not talking alcohol then definitely energy drinks. 

Beer does make me pee the most. I didnt think about energy drinks but I did hear they do make people bad.  

1 minute ago, Colormerose said:

Alcohol definitely, even more specifically beer.

Beer always seems to do the trick for me. Not only does it make me pee often, it seems to come out faster, usually further too.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pee01 said:

Beer does make me pee the most. I didnt think about energy drinks but I did hear they do make people bad.  

I swear alcohol i don't care who you are beer or not is the worst lol. If you are drinking you better be prepared to be peeing like every freaking 10 to 15 minutes I swear!! And its never like oh I should probably go soon. NOpe id your drinkning its you better get up and go or you are going to be soaked lol. Energy drinks defintely makes it happen quickly too but not like alcohol lol For me energy drinks is one of those ones where if i have more than one or I am adding it to liquid already drank. Makes it fill up a lot quicker

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, glad1 said:

Beer always seems to do the trick for me. Not only does it make me pee often, it seems to come out faster, usually further too.

Oh definitely beer, any alcohol seems to for me truly *i'm a girl I stay away from beer if i can lol* and I swear I start drinking and my bladder is like full to bursting every 10-15 minutes. and like actually truly full not like oh you feel like you it is.