Racing driver fined for peeing behind a post

1 hour ago, JesseP said:

I have been to the UAE (and Yas Marina for the F1) umpteen times, and any slight indescretion runs a risk of prison. There is not shortage of toilets at the circuit, so he should have known the likely result.

Yes, Arab countries tend to be very strict about such things.

I forget which country but am certain it was in Europe if not here, the runner Paula Radcliffe popped a squat and peed in the road. They'd have had a fit if she'd done that in the UAE, lol. Dunno whether she won the marathon or not but she was definitely "going for gold". 

And I am proud to say that Paula Radcliffe is British. It warms my national pride to think that we can produce such celebrities prepared to pee in public. When it comes to the Public Peeing Olympics, there's a potential medalist for team GB. Lol

Mind you, when it comes to going for gold in the public peeing olympics, Team USA's champion  - Myley Cyrus - would be a tough one to beat. Mind you, Myley Cyrus herself could be blown out of the water by a new young contender, Sophia Urista, who recently peed on stage in front of a vast audience on a fan's face, lol. Now that's a real class act. lol

Edited by steve25805
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just Googling the driver - and he's German, so I wonder if cultural practices and the German openness for nudity, pee and the like have a little to do with it.   But of course, the practises of the country must be respected.  Not only that, but this took place during a period of race stoppage and right in the vicinity of the grid, so there could easily have been many families watching.

For those not familiar with the 'Red flag' reference, it means that an incident has occurred and the race director has temporarily halted the race.  Perhaps an accident which needs a recovery vehicle or marshalls on the track.  All the competitors stop on the grid - the spaces on the main start straight in the order they're currently running.  Teams mechanics are allowed to do limited work on the cars and drivers can get out of the cars.  Since they're very close to the pits there's no reason why drivers can't leave the grid to use the toilets.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, steve25805 said:

I forget which country but am certain it was in Europe if not here, the runner Paula Radcliffe popped a squat and peed in the road. They'd have had a fit if she'd done that in the UAE, lol. Dunno whether she won the marathon or not but she was definitely "going for gold". 

It was the London Marathon in 2005.  Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6I2-YP42rs

She pulled over just next to the spectators barrier, dropped into a squat whilst pulling her shorts to the side, she took just a few seconds before she stood up and carried on.  She was well ahead of the field and went on to win the race.   The cameras were obviously filming her because she was race leader and it was live on the BBC at the time.   When they saw her slowing down and pulling over, they thought something was wrong, so zoomed in on her.   As I remember, the commentator didn't really know what to say, starting off being concerned about her stopping and then getting a bit flustered when he realised what she was doing.   Unfortunately the YouTube video doesn't have the commentary.  However, various reports on the internet quote her as blaming food that she had eaten, so it may not have been pee.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

For the driver, I'm very surprised he didn't go into the pit lane toilets.   That was an expensive pee for him, but as @JesseP  has said, he is lucky it wasn't a jail sentence.  UAE are definitely very strict on such things.

I am wondering what would have happened if the race hadn't been stopped.  Maybe he was planning on wetting himself in the car - which I believe is quite common in many types of endurance racing.

34 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

It was the London Marathon in 2005.  Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6I2-YP42rs

She pulled over just next to the spectators barrier, dropped into a squat whilst pulling her shorts to the side, she took just a few seconds before she stood up and carried on.  She was well ahead of the field and went on to win the race.   The cameras were obviously filming her because she was race leader and it was live on the BBC at the time.   When they saw her slowing down and pulling over, they thought something was wrong, so zoomed in on her.   As I remember, the commentator didn't really know what to say, starting off being concerned about her stopping and then getting a bit flustered when he realised what she was doing.   Unfortunately the YouTube video doesn't have the commentary.  However, various reports on the internet quote her as blaming food that she had eaten, so it may not have been pee.

I recall her in the post race interview commenting that stomach cramps were hampering her pace - and for that reason I'd also always assumed that it wasn't pee.

For an athlete of her experience and commitment to winning, if the issue had been her bladder I cannot imagine for a moment that she wouldn't just have peed in her shorts as she ran - but her instead stopping and squatting over a grid was a conscious 'balancing of need' decision.  I can't really think that she'd have prioritised stopping, pulling shorts aside etc as needed for just a simple pee?   Lots of lady athletes finish races with suspiciously wet shorts...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2