The Christmas Shout Thread

DBBoy

As the big day is only around the corner, I wondered if people would like to participate in letting us know their favourite Christmas song and a present that brings back memories from their Christmas past.    

My favourite song is embedded below.  Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I bet many of us have been humming the tune at one point in the past few weeks.  

The one present that brings back memories for me is a Pogo Stick that my sister got one Christmas.  I recall the ol man having a go and nearly bouncing straight out of the window. 

1175182140_PogoStick.thumb.jpg.4d2e7cf350c800223ab3eceeb9c9a532.jpg

Christmas wishes to the whole peefans community.  Hope you all have a great time! x

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This Christmas doesn't quite feel the same for me for some reason. Guess it's just the seasonal depression, but nevertheless Christmas is still my favorite time of year. My favorite song is Cold December Night by Michael Buble. I listen to it year round lol. I cant quite think of my favorite Christmas gift that I've gotten, but this year I've worked my ass off to get my little ones exactly what they've wanted the most as well as some nice stuff for my husband, and I'm really hoping this Christmas, our first Christmas in our new home, is going to be great for them!!

We have a family tradition of throwing a little Christmas party on Christmas eve every year, with movies, crafts, and music. I'm looking forward to that. 

• Love 1

Ooh - good idea for a thread @DBBoy. I like the Wizzard song too. I saw Roy Wood and his band in the mid-80s at a uni gig - he's an amazing musician.

The songs I like to hear at this time of year include The Pretenders' '2000 Miles' (naff video - though Chrissie Hynde is looking gorgeous)

and Greg Lake's 'I Believe in Father Christmas'. If you're going to do overblown arrangements, you might as well do it well 😉 

My favourite carol is 'It Came Upon The Midnight Clear" but I cannot sing it without crying. Something about the description of the sadness of the human condition and how it could be put right is deeply affecting. And I am not a religious person *at all*.  

But top of my list of three and a half minute Christmas music is the masterpiece that is Tomas Luis de Victoria's 'O Magnum Mysterium'. Exquisite.

As for presents - the one that stands out for me was a Merit chemistry set. Both my parents were scientists, and this helped set me down my own academic path.

Merit Chemistry Set No. 1 | Chemical Heritage Foundation | Chemistry set,  Heritage foundation, Chemistry

Edited by Kupar
  • Like 1

Personally there are several songs...    Wham - Last Christmas, Wizzard, Slade...  But there is one that always puts me right into the Christmas spirit.

This year and in our enlightened diverse times I haven't heard it played once.  Personally, I'll be totally honest, I'm saddened by that.  I can tolerate the historical legacy of one unpleasant word. It's a song, portraying the dialogue of a person in a historical context. Discussing an event of maybe forty or fifty years ago.  Using the word in a derogatory sense too which even (to my mind) emphasises the unacceptability of the word.  

So - if you can tolerate the word, then please feel free to listen to my favourite Christmas song.  If not then please exercise your right to click back on your browser and move onwards.

And just for a bit of variety - a cover.  Not a bad one at that.

And best Christmas gift...   Well, does giving a gift rather than receiving count?  And does December 18th count rather than 25th?   If so then it was an engagement ring.

xxx

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

And best Christmas gift...   Well, does giving a gift rather than receiving count?  And does December 18th count rather than 25th?   If so then it was an engagement ring

Aww ... you old softie! That is very sweet.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

And just for a bit of variety - a cover.  Not a bad one at that

Better than the Pogues. I have a problem with the Pogues. Shane MacGowan. Just don't like him. Don't know why. There.

Edited by Kupar

Most memorable present would be the bike my younger sister got. She learned how to ride on my bike and on the following Christmas she got one of her own. We rode on those every day, even just around the neighbourhood we grew up in we would spend all day on our bikes, trying to do tricks, jumping off ramps made from a couple of bricks and a piece of wood we found. I remember us spending over an hour just riding through a shallow puddle after it had been raining, fascinated by the ripples in the water. I remember it like it was yesterday. If we was out together we would almost always be on our bikes. 

This continued until she became a teenager and boys were more interesting to her than hanging out with her big sister but I will always treasure the memories those bikes created and how close they made us. I still have mine! 

• Like 1
  • Love 2