Victorian Fires

Scot_Lover

This is the current state of the fires in our state, other states, particular the eastern states, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, have been the hardest hit. We now have a thick smoke haze blanketing out town, and smoke has made it to New Zealand, over 2000km to the east. 

You can see the scale of this from the map, our Aussie koala is now facing a bleak future with 33000 being killed.

4BE7A65A-632B-4EA8-8F85-432804837CC8.png

• Agree 1

Back on October 2017 me and my wife as well as many others evacuated out llr homes due to a huge wildfire. Terrible. I've seen the horizon on fire, not knowing if it's gonna burn your yard down is a terrible feeling

Thousands of cattle had to be shot afterwards, they were horribly burned and disfigured. They deer population were decimated for a year afterwards

Sorry for hijacking your thread, I know a little bit of what your going thru

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

@Scot_Lover, are you yourself and your lady safe? Are there any forests near you?

What is happening down there is terrible and apparently on an unprecedented scale.

I suspect it is one of a number of global signs of warming and climate change.

I read it was actually a deliberate fire started by 24 individuals. I don't know whether that means it was an arson attack or whether they decided to have one of those disposable barbecues that come in a metal box and set it down on the grass.

Either way, they're complete dickheads and the amount of damage they have caused to such a wonderful country is frankly abhorrent.

• Agree 2
1 minute ago, Scot_Lover said:

We are safe, we live in the south west of the state, it's so dry here though, no one is truly safe. 

We stay home on high fire danger days, we know how fast things can change, and how fast a fire can run before the wind.

The wildfire I experienced was fueled by 100km/h winds. The fire moved crazy FAST