Advice

Hi folks.Next week I shall be heading off to a warmer climate for a couple of weeks.This will involve a long haul flight of about 12 hours.Now,I'm generally a good traveller and have flown long distances before.This time however,I think as it's an overnight journey,when it co mes to needing to relieving myself without disturbing others I may have to hold it.Any advice or tips on how I might do this?Especially if I find myself at a window seat with others(who may include my fellow travellers) next to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12 hours seems long enough that peeing at some point is inevitable (at least for me) but i mean the greatest thing you can do to make sure you dont have pee is to not drink a lot, especially caffeinated or alcohol beverages. The other option is to sleep through the flight.

Tbh airplanes kind of scare me due to their pee constraints. I've almost wet myself so many times due to turbulence or take off delays and so im just a little terrified. Last time, the plane had to be deiced and so it was a significant amount of time before we could take off and i had had a headache so I had been drinking water and it was just a nightmare. I leaked several times before I could finally pee and I was second in line for the bathroom and during that time i could just feel my pee slowly leaking out. Luckily I was wearing black jeans and the plane was very dimly lit but I was super super embarrassed because I just felt like so out of my control idk. Sorry 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Hi there @Riley Thanks for replying and your advice.I have quite a long wait between connecting flights,so I may have a coffee at some point.Hopefully,I'll be able to pee before I board the flight.I will try and sleep on the plane although i often find this difficult.I guess if I have to pee during the flight,then so be it.I may be lucky and get an aisle seat which would make getting up to pee easier.

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences of flying.I guess we're all different when it comes to air travel.As i said,it's not something that bothers me,except the worry of disturbing others.

38 minutes ago, Adyguy6970 said:

I think if it was me I'd not only limit my fluid intake but make sure I was well diapered up in the circumstances.  That way if I needed to pee I could at least let some out without too much risk.  

I agree with this, even though I've never tried a diaper before.  I wouldn't mind getting up to go to the bathroom if those next to me were awake.  But a diaper would be helpful if I didn't want to disturb someone who was sleeping.  I would test them out first though.  Can it be seen?  Can it be heard?  How much will it hold? Etc...

• Like 2

@Rewdna Dont worry tbh it's not all bad. I kind of weirdly enjoy needing to pee when I know I can't go and an airplane in turbulence is a great place for that, its just sometimes, I get pushed a little too far over the edge where I start to worry about making a mess xD 

I don't have anything major to add - not in an earth-shattering positive solution at least.  If anything perhaps a little more negative.....   Deliberately dehydrating for a. long-haul flight can be bad for you, so I'd suggest keeping normal fluids up.

Normally on a night flight the cabin crew will serve the meal early and drinks, then will let everyone settle to sleep - just as they do that is a good point to pay a visit to the bathroom and hopefully you'll be able to sleep through the rest of the night.  They'll then encourage everyone awake some time before landing and that's another good time to pay a visit (or join the queue at least) - reason being that once the seatbelt sign is on, apart from the actual approach you could have a long taxi on the ground potentially a wait for a gate and then maybe a long queue through immigration before you reach a bathroom.

The good news is though that even in standard class, because you're long haul it may not be too difficult to get out of your seat.

Have an amazing trip!

Edited by gldenwetgoose
  • Like 2

I have to drink durning my flights. I get nauseous.  I have a lot of problems with my ears and it causes me A lot of problems so I keep some sprite or ginger ale available. Once u get thru security they usually have a place to buy some.  I wear pads if I know I might leak.  And I do take the opportunity when u can to go toy the bathroom before I get to desperate. The pads are pretty discreet.  I wear loose fitting closed to be comfortable. Jean can be too tight when setting down and having something moist tightly pressed up against you can cause you to get sore and even cause a yeast infection if worn to long.  Good luck and don’t stress about to much.  Hope u have fun. 

I haven't done many long haul flights, but I just drink as normal and if I have to go to the toilet then I do.   However, I've only flown with my family, so it is only them that I have to disturb if I get up.   I can see that it would be somewhat awkward if you were in a window seat, blocked in by strangers who were asleep - I wouldn't want to wake them up, but may have no choice.   The option of a nappy/daiper might be an idea.   Alternatively, wear a loose skirt that would allow you to pee in a cup with a lid.  If the people next to you are asleep then they wouldn't notice if you peed in a cup.   If you want to be really naughty, you could always wet your seat or sit on a blanket and wet that, but my biggest issue with that is that they know who is sitting in each seat, so it could come back to haunt you.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Lilipee said:

I agree with this, even though I've never tried a diaper before.  I wouldn't mind getting up to go to the bathroom if those next to me were awake.  But a diaper would be helpful if I didn't want to disturb someone who was sleeping.  I would test them out first though.  Can it be seen?  Can it be heard?  How much will it hold? Etc...

Well diapers vary somewhat.  As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to avoid the cheaper brands.  I say this as I've found they're cheap for a reason.  Tena heavy duty pants are a good choice I've found as are Depends.  Certainly with the Tena pants their absorbency is indicated on the side of the pack.  I always go for the most absorbent ones I can find in my size.  Here I am wearing a pair of Tena pants.   

Diapered 2.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and words of advice.I guess I'll just have to deal with it as the need arises.I'm sure I'll be fine and will make sure i've peed before I get on the plane and try not to overdo it on the drinks etc.One thing is for certain.I'll enjoy my holIday.It's been a long time coming and is very much needed.I've had to deal with a lot of things this year.BRAZIL,HERE I COME!!