Climate change

Riley

I know this could be controversial but it doesn't have to be. Even if you don't believe in humans role in climate change you can still be kind to our planet. Being nice doesn't have to be related to one party. We share this world and share the consequences of our actions. 

I also want to share a video on this year's IPCC climate report because things are not going well. I know there's not much that we can do as people but just knowing the facts behind what is going on is a start. 

I know this isn't for everyone but if you want to do a small part, ecosia is a web browser that puts a few ads on your search page, but they use that revenue to plant millions of trees. 

Anyways, here's the video

• Love 1

I agree.In a sense,we Homo sapiens are a kind of accident of nature.In our evolution,we developed the ability and even the will to wipe out other species.No other species has wiped out another species..

We kill for "fun",for economic reasons,for "sport".This would be like a Tiger,just going out a few times a day and killing a few Deer because it was bored,but then just biting off the antlers and taking them to its den,for show.We have exterminated Great Auk,Quagga(a kind of Zebra),the Passenger Pigeon,which once existed in huge numbers,a flock would take a day to pass over.Yet because they were so abundant,and we so stupid,we exterminated them,the last dying in 1914.Many species of Parrot face extinction,or are even extinct,simply because we need to imprison them for their gaudy plumage.

Dozens of others also we wiped out.This began with our ancestors,believed to have exterminated the Mammoth,over hunting a species with a low birth rate.On New Zealand,the Maori settlers found huge flightless birds,the Moas.These were tasty and easy to hunt.Within about 600 years-gone.

It is time we stopped all habitat destruction,and hunting for anything other than sustenance,of primitive tribes,that are part of the ecosystems they inhabit,and they respect and worship the very animals they kill to eat.

Over geologic time,the earths climate has changed many times,so we may be in another cycle anyway.But we dont help the situation.Theres no reason we humans cant change our ways,and live in peace with the earth,and all its other inhabitants.

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree that we need to do far more to protect our planet - the last 2-300 years have seen an exponential increase in the rate of damage. Mining, manufacturing, changes of land use and more recently a throw away society.

I think we are heading to the right side of it - new buildings have to comply with strict building regulations to minimise the amounts of fuels needed, and products are using recycled materials where they can.

One thing that really bugs me is the 'trend campaigning' of it all....

McDonalds impose upon us paper straws for the environment - so I can drink out of a plastic coated cup with a plastic lid, and eat my burger served in a plastic coated box. And when I'm done, it all gets scooped into one bin.  

Then there's this pummelling down our throats of certain issues whilst ignoring the elephant in the room.  Sure my petrol car may burn some hydrocarbons, but in it's lifetime it will probably emit less than the supertanker bringing the latest 'eco' car from the other side of the world.  My car is currently on 120,000 miles and should be good for another 60,000 or so.  How many sets of rare metal lithium batteries would that have taken?

If we're going to do it let's do it properly.  If you're not going to wear that dress more than once, don't buy it.  If you can buy local do it.  If you go on a climate change rally, take your flaming rubbish to a recycling facility yourself!!!!

Also (now you've got me started), all of the above applies to us in our cosy first world order.  Meanwhile in many parts of the world, life is a struggle - rampant mass production despite the environmental impact is seen as the only way to develop. Look at images of cities where smog clouds the air and the public have to wear facemasks to survive, continents being stripped of rainforests. People who are either starved by their governments or by natural hardships. We can't tell them to stop unless we can offer an alternative means for their daily survival.

In our first world we are a take, take, take society - we have to have the new phone even though there's nothing wrong with the old one - perhaps if more of the profits from that consumerism went back to restore the environmental damage (and if the goods cost more accordingly) we'd be more realistic about what we need and want).

(Typed on my £1500 Mac.....  I'm not perfect!)

• Like 2
8 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Then there's this pummelling down our throats of certain issues whilst ignoring the elephant in the room.  Sure my petrol car may burn some hydrocarbons, but in it's lifetime it will probably emit less than the supertanker bringing the latest 'eco' car from the other side of the world.  My car is currently on 120,000 miles and should be good for another 60,000 or so.  How many sets of rare metal lithium batteries would that have taken?

Very good point. We will always be reliant on gasoline and diesel fuel, especially us country folk. Having electric tractors, combines, heavy trucks and equipment will never happen. They are very expensive right now, I couldn't imagine the cost once you add all those lithium ion batteries. The cost to upgrade the electrical grid to charge all these vehicles will be through the roof. Iam all for saving the planet but let's go about it smartly

Let's start building things to last. Washer and dryers seem to only last 3 or 4 years then you have to throw them away, parts aren't available so instead of repairing them, replace them. What sort of ass backwards thinking this? Look at packaging, if in order something from Amazon it arrives in a box 5 times bigger than the item, like really? Manufactures of goods must be held accountable for recycling their own products, don't rely on someone else. Here in Canada we recycle products but not to the extent we should. Plus we dont manufacturers enough products here, like goldenwetgoose mentioned, shop and buy local.

If I lived on a city i sure would rely on public transportation. Out here in the country we have to drive. Plus when it gets -40 here we have to run our natural gas furnaces. -40 is hard on batteries as well. 

• Like 2