Are We Alone in the Universe?

7 hours ago, steve25805 said:

I do think intelligent life is likely to be relatively rare

Sadly you are right

So right

I think it would be arrogant to do so

That's a good point, man

ps All you wrote in between I endorse ihihihi (beside the fact my Lore is a bit harsher, with my immense sadness. I Always fantasized a universe like Star Wars with countless races sitting in a bar chatting of you-know-what… it was hard to learn it's not that way… for now…)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Any Aliens will have the same problem that we have.  The speed limit is the speed of light and it will take them  time to travel between places as it does for us.  There are just a lot of years involved in traveling.  I think that I will just spend my time here on earth regardless of how bad it gets.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, bpb said:

Any Aliens will have the same problem that we have.  The speed limit is the speed of light and it will take them  time to travel between places as it does for us.  There are just a lot of years involved in traveling.  I think that I will just spend my time here on earth regardless of how bad it gets.

The way things are going, we are risking triggering a runaway greenhouse effect that could within a few centuries turn us into another Venus

• Like 1

The way things are going, we are risking triggering a runaway greenhouse effect that could within a few centuries turn us into another Venus

I really think it's too late already, Steve.  One scientist I saw on TV the other night said that even if we stopped all carbon emissions right now, we'd still see a catastrophic rise in world temps.  I found that very alarming.  I welcome your comments as you're the science guy here.  Thanks.

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:53 AM, 2prnot2p said:

I really think it's too late already, Steve.  One scientist I saw on TV the other night said that even if we stopped all carbon emissions right now, we'd still see a catastrophic rise in world temps.  I found that very alarming.  I welcome your comments as you're the science guy here.  Thanks.

The main problem - and potentially most worrying aspect - are the feedback loops. 

For example, if temps rise beyond a certain point, all the methane locked up in frozen ground or on the sea bed could start to be released. And methane is a much more effective greenhouse gas than CO2 (carbon dioxide). This could push temps ever higher.

And higher temps would result in more evaporation of water, increasing the water vapour content in the atmosphere. Water vapour too is a potent greenhouse gas, so this also could further accelerate global warming. 

Higher temps would also lead to the gradual disappearance of the ice caps and ice sheets more generally, raising sea levels disastrously, but also causing less sunlight to be reflected back into space, and more of it's light - and heat - being absorbed.

The sea is very much our planet's thermostat, heat controller, and coolant. If temps reach the point where it starts evaporating faster than it gets replenished by precipitation (rain), then we might well be passing past the point of no return at that point.

Because evaporation could increase to disastrous levels at temps well below the boiling point of water (100 C). It is worth bearing in mind that the highest temperature ever recorded on land (in both the Sahara desert and the Australian outback) is 57 C. This was of course over land. If temperatures over the sea ever started reaching or exceeding such levels, we would start to see substantial evaporation. If equatorial temps started to regularly surpass 60 C, not only would such regions become uninhabitable to us, but evaporation would accelerate to probably disastrous levels.

If the sea effectively starts boiling away we will be on the runaway greenhouse treadmill, with Venus-like conditions the ultimate destination.

• Thanks 1

@steve25805

That sounds quite awful.  Not very encouraging at all.  Think of all the undeveloped nations that are not working on climate change at all.  That's very scary too.

Oh, the highest official temp ever recorded in the world was in Death Valley, California.  It was 134F on a day in 1913.  It's also the hottest place on earth in terms of average high temps.  Temps of over 120F are very common for days, even weeks, at a time.  Yikes! 🤪

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

@steve25805

That sounds quite awful.  Not very encouraging at all.  Think of all the undeveloped nations that are not working on climate change at all.  That's very scary too.

Oh, the highest official temp ever recorded in world was in Death Valley, California.  It was 134F on a day in 1913.  It's also the hottest place on earth in terms of average high temps.  Temps of over 120F are very common for days, even weeks, at a time.  Yikes! 🤪

It's atrocious

And it scares me so bad...

• Agree 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

@steve25805

Oh, the highest official temp ever recorded in world was in Death Valley, California.  It was 134F on a day in 1913.  It's also the hottest place on earth in terms of average high temps.  Temps of over 120F are very common for days, even weeks, at a time.  Yikes! 🤪

That's way to hot for me hahah

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1