Hospital Bed - Pee on Pee Pad (During Labor)

When my wife was in labor for my eldest (years ago), she had been given an epidural, which can make it difficult to pee (because everything down there is numb). Before "pushing" (beginning the birth process), the nurse wanted her to have an empty bladder.

Usually the normal process is to have a catheter inserted, but my wife was already in a lot of pain (despite the drugs), and apparently they didn't want to traumatize her more than she already was. So the nurse told her to just relax and try to pee on the bed (onto the pee pad that she was already sitting/laying on). Unfortunately she wasn't able to go (probably because I was watching, hehe). 

Days later, after it was all over, I asked her if that was common practice (she's a medical professional, and is friends with a few labor & delivery nurses), and she said yes, it's fairly common. She said it's less painful/traumatizing than a catheter and easier for the patient than going in a bedpan (especially if they've been given an epidural). The patient pees on the pad, the nurse changes it, and they're good to go.

Has anyone else experienced this? Either while in labor, or for any hospital stay? Did you think it was weird, or did you "go with the flow"? Was it difficult to relax and pee on the bed (pad)?

• Like 1

That's interesting because they told me the reason why I had to have a cath with both of my sections was because you can't control your urine when you have an epidural. 

I wish i would have had that option because just the thought of something going up my urethra makes me so queasy. The balloon in my bladder? My skin is crawling! Unfortunately if I ever have another baby Bacardi I'll most likely have to have another 😣 

I do remember once my last was born thinking it was cool to watch the pee go through the tube when I couldn't feel it once i was in postpartum. I also remember my midwife saying to me "wow, you've peed a lot! That's good!" She never showed me how much so I had to take her word for it lol. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Bacardi said:

That's interesting because they told me the reason why I had to have a cath with both of my sections was because you can't control your urine when you have an epidural. 

I wish i would have had that option because just the thought of something going up my urethra makes me so queasy. The balloon in my bladder? My skin is crawling! Unfortunately if I ever have another baby Bacardi I'll most likely have to have another 😣 

I do remember once my last was born thinking it was cool to watch the pee go through the tube when I couldn't feel it once i was in postpartum. I also remember my midwife saying to me "wow, you've peed a lot! That's good!" She never showed me how much so I had to take her word for it lol. 

There are different types of epidural, the one in labour helps with pain but doesn’t stop all feeling and you can still move and push etc. The one during c section is a full spinal block and stops any feeling what so ever so needs a catheter. It also depends how long you have it in for and how long feeling takes to come back, if it’s short they may not give a catheter as you can safely hold it that long, but if it’s too long they have to give it so you don’t either hurt yourself or pee yourself. Lol

1 hour ago, Peewee123 said:

There are different types of epidural, the one in labour helps with pain but doesn’t stop all feeling and you can still move and push etc. The one during c section is a full spinal block and stops any feeling what so ever so needs a catheter. It also depends how long you have it in for and how long feeling takes to come back, if it’s short they may not give a catheter as you can safely hold it that long, but if it’s too long they have to give it so you don’t either hurt yourself or pee yourself. Lol

I got my cath as soon as I got my epidural both times. Both times i was confined to my bed and couldn't move at all. Could still push but big headed babies (and a thin birth canal 😟) made it impossible. I do remember them telling me they had to crank the meds in my back up both times tho when it came time to go under the knife. 

• Hug 2

K's experience was somewhat different. Natural births both times. But when our first child was born, everything was a little messed about down there in the immediate aftermath, requiring a stitch or two. When she needed to pee afterwards, she just couldn't. The doctor (who had been there with forceps / ventouse at the ready - not needed in the end) and midwife (who didn't win any sewing prizes at school) didn't want a catheter putting in at that stage and suggested a warm bath, and peeing in the bath. It worked, eventually.

• Like 3