Any older men experience piss desperation?

I am just on the upper side of fifty.  There are times when I find my bladder requires to be emptied NOW or I end up with a couple of little spurts in my boxers, but I put that down to drinking far too much tea and water.  In a day when I am not drinking lots, I can hold for hours on end.  There is also some kind of psychological thing going on - I can hold forever on a long car journey, but the second I get out of the car at home I need to pee!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
7 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

I am just on the upper side of fifty.  There are times when I find my bladder requires to be emptied NOW or I end up with a couple of little spurts in my boxers, but I put that down to drinking far too much tea and water.  In a day when I am not drinking lots, I can hold for hours on end.  There is also some kind of psychological thing going on - I can hold forever on a long car journey, but the second I get out of the car at home I need to pee!

I've clicked on agree - and then noted the 'upper side of fifty' introduction...  Still, I'm not too far behind.

Car journeys, the impact of caffeinated drinks and the psychological effects of being close to a toilet (or indeed worrying about the impending need) are things I can definitely relate to. 

• Like 2

I am in my "upper fifties". I don't think age-related changes have resulted in noticeably more desperation, and certainly not accidents (deliberate wetting is another thing entirely and for me that's done for pleasure without the need to be desperate). But certainly there's been a decrease in the time between wees, more of a need to get up in the night, and most upsetting of all, a huge decrease in peak flow rate. In fact, I am seriously considering consulting a GP just to check on the old prostate situation. I don't want to die just yet. But I know that the diagnostic tests aren't hugely selective and sensitive, so that sort of puts me off. As does the horrible pressure the health service is under right now.

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

In my sixties and have noticed very similar things happening recently.  It must be at least partly psychological, as it does not seem to relate to the bladder being full at all.  Getting out of the car at a shopping centre does not bring it on,  but getting out of the car after arriving home triggers that "RIGHT NOW OR ELSE" feeling.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I am 60 and I have had those moments of desperation where I was dribbling before I made it to the washroom. But after having explored this site for a while I am ok with dribbling or worse in my pants. Doesn’t always happen but when it does I need to be able to pee. Usually have to get up once or twice a night. 

Well, I'm 63, and for the last 4 or 5 years, I've noticed the effect of an enlarged prostate.  I can go maybe 3 hours before I need to pee, the strength of the stream is not as strong as it once was, and it can take a little while to start, and getting my bladder completely empty is difficult.  I notice that I can go from 'yeah, I need to pee sometime soon' to 'shit, it's leaking out!' in about 30 seconds.... and the closer I am to the toilet, the more the desperation becomes.  Long car trips require frequent stops, either at rest areas, gas stations, or (fairly often) on the side of the road - normally I'll turn down a side road.  12 months ago I went through radiation treatment for the early stage of prostate cancer (which appears to be in remission now), and that caused what the oncologist termed 'mild bladder irritation'   Which meant, having to pee every 45 minutes, and burning pain with it.  Cranberry tablets sorted out the burning pain...

• Hug 3
  • Thanks 1