Official News Other New Features Worth Knowing About...

Whilst the new customizable theme was probably the first thing you noticed after the update, here's a few other smaller improvements that have just been made too:

1. Content View Behavior controls - by default, when you click on a topic, it will take you to the first post you haven't read yet (so if you've never opened the topic before, it'll take you to the first post... but if you have, it'll take you straight to the most recent post you haven't seen. However, maybe you would prefer when you click a topic to always go to the first post (page 1), or maybe you would even prefer to always go to the most recent post that was made. If you go to 'Account settings' (by clicking your username in the navigation bar), and visit 'Content View Behaviour' you will be able to choose between all 3 of these options yourself. I believe that for the majority of people, the default option ('take me to comments I haven't read') will work best, but feel free to change the setting if not.

2. Improved control over notifications - For certain things you perhaps want just a bell notification, for others you perhaps want an email alert, or for some things you don't want either. If you go to Account Settings, you'll find a link on the side to 'Notifications Settings' - a page where you can clearly understand & update what you'll be notified of and where.

3. Automatic TikTok embed - just like with youtube (and others), if you copy & paste a link into the forum, it'll now automatically embed the video. Considering there's quite a lot of pee related tiktoks out there, this may come in handy.

4. Improved search - I have made a minor change that should result in less volume of search results, but more accurate search results. For example, previously if you searched 'celebrities peeing', you'd get thousands of results because it would look for posts that had either the word 'celebrities' OR 'peeing' which is counterproductive on a site like this - whereas now it returns only posts with both words. The 'Advanced search' option is actually pretty powerful, and allows you to filter much more specifically (e.g. look in certain sections, look only in titles etc), so I highly recommend using that instead if you're looking for something specific.

5. Badges & labels - When viewing a topic, you may notice a small badge icon on top of certain avatars. A shield badge appears on staff members profiles (to make it easier than ever to find a moderator if needed), and a hand/wave badge on top of an avatar signifies the member recently joined. Additionally, at the top of a post (on the bar that contains the poster's username and the date/time of the post) you'll see an 'Author' label when it's the opening poster replying. At the bottom of a post, you'll now see the names of some of the people who reacted, without having to actually click on the reaction itself like before. Finally, please be aware that some options like 'report' and 'share' are now located under the 3 dots button (which typically always signifies some kind of menu on the site whenever you see that). 

6. 'Sticky' menu on mobile - On mobile devices, you should now have a bar at the bottom of the screen with quick access to the homepage, unread content, messages, notifications and the full menu (the dots icon).

7. Time lapse updates - PeeFans has been running many years now, and sometimes old topics get bumped back up... which is great, but can also be a little confusing when you don't realise it's an old topic! A small line of text will now be added above new posts on old topics just to add a little context. 

8. Performance improvements & aesthetic improvements - hopefully things are running slightly faster and smoother since the update, and a few other minor improvements have been made too. Additionally, with the toggle button in the navigation you now also have more control over exactly how the site looks.
  9. 2 Factor Authentication - you can now (optionally) add security questions to improve the security of your account. 

10. Dark mode / light mode theme - This was already mentioned in the thread about how you can change the forum colours/design, but there's now a button in the navigation to quickly toggle between day/night themes. 

I hope these extra little tweaks all help improve our community here.

... And keep an eye on this section - as more updates are still to come! 😉 

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Admin said:

previously if you searched 'celebrities peeing', you'd get thousands of results because it would look for posts that had either the word 'celebrities' OR 'peeing' which is counterproductive on a site like this - whereas now it returns only posts with both words.

Am I doing something wrong ? I just searched "couples who pee together" (without the quotes), in titles only, and it is returning topics that only have the word "couples". I would expect it would only return topics that had all of the words. 

Screenshot_20210206-072123.png

I just tried that too @Sophie and get the same as you. Also, on mobile I don't seem to be able to toggle between 'any' or 'all' words. The option is there but I can't change it.

Update: that toggle is now toggling (7:46am) - not sure if it was my problem earlier.

Edited by Kupar
Update

OK - I tried this again with another combination and I think that worked as expected: 1405 results for stay alone, 192 results for couples alone, and 18 results for couples stay.

However, Sophie's example couples who pee together still seems to give incorrect search results. And even if I try it using AND, it still doesn't work.

I wonder if there's a limit on the number of search terms that can be combined - that's my working hypothesis.

When you have an exact word-for-word phrase like that, use quotation marks.

So "couples who pee together" should bring up only 4 results: the thread in question, and the 3 posts in this thread where we've said it. 

The search still often requires changing a few settings or trying a few combinations - turns out there's a reason everyone uses Google... search algorithms aren't easy! 😂 I think it's slightly better than before though, and with the 'advanced search' you should almost always find what you're looking for (eventually).

• Thanks 1