Rock Legends Taking a Leak

3 hours ago, Eliminature said:

This one not only relates the Rolling Stones incident, but another one of my favourite sixties icons, Jim Morrison. 

Oh yes. I can imagine him, inebriated and bloated with booze, unzipping the iconic leather pants and producing his celebrated cock, showering the bar with his hot piss whilst everyone stared, torn between outraged shock and voyeuristic titillation. I'll bet a few ladies went home wet between the legs that night. 

Speaking of which...

https://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/golden-arches-eight-musicians-whove-unashamedly-pissed-in-public-14326

Nicely written... both the article and your post 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Mick Jagger drives into to a petrol station & asks to use their toilet. The cashier says, “You can’t always get what you want”

Related:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Next#Cover_art

The cover artwork shows a photograph, taken at Easington Colliery, of the band apparently having just urinated on a large concrete piling protruding from a slag heap.[38] The decision to shoot the picture came from Entwistle and Moon discussing Stanley Kubrick and the film 2001: A Space Odyssey.[39] According to photographer Ethan Russell, only Townshend actually urinated against the piling, so rainwater was tipped from an empty film canister to achieve the desired effect...

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, oliver2 said:

Mick Jagger drives into to a petrol station & asks to use their toilet. The cashier says, “You can’t always get what you want”

Related:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who's_Next#Cover_art

Only Townsend actually pissed against the block? I'm surprised that Moon the Loon didn't 🤔 

Rock legends taking a leak is such a horny subject!!

• Agree 1

Interesting that both of these articles make no mention at all of rock chicks delivering their finest performances.

If I can add a bit to the narrative - regular readers will be sick of me mentioning live music photography - which actually came about some 12 years ago when I first photographed a friend's band. In that time I've not only photographed a small-ish network of related bands and venues, but also from time to time I give his band a hand as an inept roadie when they are gigging.

We all think of bands like the Stones as mega stars, with their six figure gig fees and contract riders bounded only by their imaginations (was it Freddie Mercury who reputedly had dwarves at his parties to offer cocaine to his guests?) but in reality all these bands start somewhere.  Generally playing pubs, working mens' clubs, weddings and other similar low key venues.

The way their gig would run is having to drag and set up their own gear - amps, cabinets, drum kit, keyboards and all to the venue, maybe up a few flights of stairs and early - to be set up and sound checked before the public arrive. Then once that's done there's not much to do - except sit backstage with a pint or two. I say backstage and that creates a rock n roll atmosphere - but very often a four piece band crammed in a tiny broom cupboard by the stage, share with pantomime costumes and props.  Usually the toilets would be the normal club toilets, generally at the opposite end of the room.

Gigging is of course a thirsty affair - whether it be Townsend-esque windmilling on the guitar, belting the drums like Clem or just power-ballading into a microphone, so a normal gig would see the band downing 3-4 pints of water each.  During any breaks between sets, or after the gig itself crossing the room to the toilets beyond can be a nightmare - not exactly getting mobbed by fans, not at this level, but just people who want to chat with the band. 

And at the end of all that, change back into less sweaty normal clothes to pack down and drag all the gear back into the van. All the band really want to do by this point is get home, no after party or lock-in.

So really, that explains at this local small town level, bands peeing behind vans, at the loading bays of halls and the like or just on the road is a perfectly normal event.  All fame does is introduces the ego and the outrageousness of how to outrage bigger numbers of narrow minded people.

• Like 4
23 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Interesting that both of these articles make no mention at all of rock chicks delivering their finest performances.

If I can add a bit to the narrative - regular readers will be sick of me mentioning live music photography - which actually came about some 12 years ago when I first photographed a friend's band. In that time I've not only photographed a small-ish network of related bands and venues, but also from time to time I give his band a hand as an inept roadie when they are gigging.

We all think of bands like the Stones as mega stars, with their six figure gig fees and contract riders bounded only by their imaginations (was it Freddie Mercury who reputedly had dwarves at his parties to offer cocaine to his guests?) but in reality all these bands start somewhere.  Generally playing pubs, working mens' clubs, weddings and other similar low key venues.

The way their gig would run is having to drag and set up their own gear - amps, cabinets, drum kit, keyboards and all to the venue, maybe up a few flights of stairs and early - to be set up and sound checked before the public arrive. Then once that's done there's not much to do - except sit backstage with a pint or two. I say backstage and that creates a rock n roll atmosphere - but very often a four piece band crammed in a tiny broom cupboard by the stage, share with pantomime costumes and props.  Usually the toilets would be the normal club toilets, generally at the opposite end of the room.

Gigging is of course a thirsty affair - whether it be Townsend-esque windmilling on the guitar, belting the drums like Clem or just power-ballading into a microphone, so a normal gig would see the band downing 3-4 pints of water each.  During any breaks between sets, or after the gig itself crossing the room to the toilets beyond can be a nightmare - not exactly getting mobbed by fans, not at this level, but just people who want to chat with the band. 

And at the end of all that, change back into less sweaty normal clothes to pack down and drag all the gear back into the van. All the band really want to do by this point is get home, no after party or lock-in.

So really, that explains at this local small town level, bands peeing behind vans, at the loading bays of halls and the like or just on the road is a perfectly normal event.  All fame does is introduces the ego and the outrageousness of how to outrage bigger numbers of narrow minded people.

I'll ask my son about this ... he's done a bit of gigging with his band - would be interesting to hear if he has any stories (though venues like the Newmarket summer fete (!) or various pubs / clubs in Cambridge or Liverpool mayby even less glamorous than those you describe!

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

My music teacher is (well, pre Covid) in a band and does/did a lot of touring. I often wonder how much covert pissing in the open he has done. 

On 11/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, Eliminature said:

My music teacher is (well, pre Covid) in a band and does/did a lot of touring. I often wonder how much covert pissing in the open he has done. 

Just been watching a Sky Arts documentary on music Photography (Icon: Music Through The Lens) - featuring various photographers talking about their rock n roll photography.

In the part I've just watched, a comment on the dodgy dressing rooms of the 60's - illustrated with a black n white photo (obviously) of Charlie Watts standing on a chair, pissing in a sink.

So yes, it happened all the time....  lol

• Love 1
23 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Just been watching a Sky Arts documentary on music Photography (Icon: Music Through The Lens) - featuring various photographers talking about their rock n roll photography.

In the part I've just watched, a comment on the dodgy dressing rooms of the 60's - illustrated with a black n white photo (obviously) of Charlie Watts standing on a chair, pissing in a sink.

So yes, it happened all the time....  lol

Found it... https://flashbak.com/wonderful-gered-mankowitz-photos-rolling-stones-60073/just-charlie-pissing-in-a-sink-at-the-la-memorial-sports-arena-december-1965/

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Eliminature said:

Thanks! 😍 

Oh boy! I think I need to either frig or pester Mr Eliminature! 

I think you should - either or both.  (If you have access to Sky Arts, it was in the programme 'Icon: Music through the lens (part 2)' on last night, but probably repeated somewhere.