Welding

Sunshine108

• 2 months later...

It's a tremendously useful skill but I'm really bad at it.

I have an old stick welder that has no current (Amps) control so it can only use one size of rod.

Would really like to learn MIG and TIG welding.  What do you think of the machines that can do MIG, TIG and stick welding all in the one unit?

My funniest welding trick yet:  I was once welding a mudguard onto a trailer and burned a hole through the thin metal.  The molten iron that fell through the hole set my jeans on fire,  but I didn't notice until I felt the heat of the flames on my leg. 😮 Luckily for me there was some long wet grass nearby that I rolled around in to put out the fire.  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On 4/30/2020 at 2:20 AM, likesToLick said:

My funniest welding trick yet:  I was once welding a mudguard onto a trailer and burned a hole through the thin metal.  The molten iron that fell through the hole set my jeans on fire,  but I didn't notice until I felt the heat of the flames on my leg. 😮 Luckily for me there was some long wet grass nearby that I rolled around in to put out the fire.  😎

I think we have all been in this situation before hahahahahaha

• Like 1
On 4/30/2020 at 4:20 AM, likesToLick said:

It's a tremendously useful skill but I'm really bad at it.

I have an old stick welder that has no current (Amps) control so it can only use one size of rod.

Would really like to learn MIG and TIG welding.  What do you think of the machines that can do MIG, TIG and stick welding all in the one unit?

Maybe you should change for a good stick welder with the Amps control and the AC/DC switch. Preferably on 220 volts. The advantages of stick welding are that you can weld anything in every position, and the welder itself is more affordable and easy to maintain. Don't buy a MIG/TIG/rod if you don't need it often. It will just be expansive for nothing, and you will have to carry 3 or 4 different kind of gas. MIG welders are a good choice if you use it every day, cause if you use it only once a month, your wire roll will begin to rust. MIG is a good choice if you weld aluminum too, because you need a higher voltage for a good penetration and a spool-gun gives a very good result! Near impossible with a stick welder. 

Don't forget the little stove if you have rods in stock. You need to keep them warm for long periods of storage. Otherwise, humidity will destroy the flux, and make rust on your rods. But you can easily build your own for peanuts! Take an old little fridge, drill a hole on the bottom, and put a 100W light bulb linked to a thermostat. As easy as this! Keep the temperature between 50 or 60 Celcius. 

I hope I helped you! Let me know if you have more questions!

Story time: I know what it is to catch on fire. Your story was pretty funny! Let me tell you mine. I had to repair a crossmember under a chip trailer (crappy job..). I was wearing a denim suit for better safety and a good pair of gloves. I laid down under the trailer, and began the job. Grinding the rust and paint, cleaning the steal and started welding. Then, a hot drop of melted steal falled between my legs. Don't ask me how it got there. I felt it, but I didn't have enough room to moove. It burned my suit, my pants, my boxers, and my ballsack!!  I was shaking as I could like a slice of bacon under the trailer, and I got out of there as fast as I could! This made laugh my co-worker. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sunshine108 said:

Maybe you should change for a good stick welder with the Amps control and the AC/DC switch. Preferably on 220 volts. The advantages of stick welding are that you can weld anything in every position, and the welder itself is more affordable and easy to maintain. Don't buy a MIG/TIG/rod if you don't need it often. It will just be expansive for nothing, and you will have to carry 3 or 4 different kind of gas. MIG welders are a good choice if you use it every day, cause if you use it only once a month, your wire roll will begin to rust. MIG is a good choice if you weld aluminum too, because you need a higher voltage for a good penetration and a spool-gun gives a very good result! Near impossible with a stick welder. 

Thank you for the advice.  It's only very occasionally that I need to weld anything,  so it sounds like MIG/TIG is not for me.

What is the AC/DC switch used for?

2 hours ago, Sunshine108 said:

Don't forget the little stove if you have rods in stock. You need to keep them warm for long periods of storage. Otherwise, humidity will destroy the flux, and make rust on your rods. But you can easily build your own for peanuts! Take an old little fridge, drill a hole on the bottom, and put a 100W light bulb linked to a thermostat. As easy as this! Keep the temperature between 50 or 60 Celcius. 

You made me realise it's more than ten years since I last used my welder.  I guess any rods I still have will be no good now.

I have never tried it myself due to not knowing how to do it and also not having access to any equipment to be able to do it. If I was given the chance would i want to have a go at welding then yes, I am happy to try anything once (within reason).

Edited by lovestoseepee
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, likesToLick said:

What is the AC/DC switch used for?

Depending on the type of rod you use, and the metal you weld. Some rods are made to work with AC current and some others with DC current. It's generaly written on the side of the rod. If it's not specified, use DC.

8 hours ago, likesToLick said:

I guess any rods I still have will be no good now.

If you have E6011 rods, they may still be ok. 

Edited by Sunshine108
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, lovestoseepee said:

I have never tried it myself due to not knowing how to do it and also not having access to any equipment to be abel to do it. If I was given the chance would i want to have a go at welding then yes, I am happy to try anything once (within reason).

Go to the nearest school where they give welding courses. Some teachers may show you the basics and maybe it will become a new hobby for you! Even if you don't own a welder, you can have plenty of fun with Acetylene and Oxygen and the correct tip for welding and cutting (steal only).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, likesToLick said:

You made me realise it's more than ten years since I last used my welder.

Just an advise before using your welder next time. As you didn't use it for about ten years, unplug it, remove the cover to get acces to the converter, and give a good shot of air all around the system with an air gun. It must be full of dust! And if there is too much, it can make a huge noisy spark (trust me you will jump) and burn the voltage converter. You don't want that!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1