Burned up piston

Here is a picture of the piston out of #5 cylinder in our 855 Cummins engine. The 855 stands for 855 cubic inch displacement. 14 litres for the Europeans here lol. The piston got hot and failed. It was caused by not letting the engine warm up enough before working it 

20190603_164846.jpg

20190603_164844.jpg

20190603_165352.jpg

20190603_164932.jpg

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mickymoist said:

😄 that'll work!!

Believe it or not I've got some hills that I can't seed going up them! I run out of traction. Those tracks are 36 inches wide. The seeder weighs around 150,000 pounds when loaded, then seed around an inch and a half deep

• Like 1
Just now, speedy3471 said:

Believe it or not I've got some hills that I can't seed going up them! I run out of traction. Those tracks are 36 inches wide. The seeder weighs around 150,000 pounds when loaded, then seed around an inch and a half deep

wow!

Guest UnabashedUser

do you run calcium in the tires? Ah it's a track just noticed. Whoops. How much fuel do  you buy in a month?

Edited by UnabashedUser
19 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

do you run calcium in the tires? Ah it's a track just noticed. Whoops. How much fuel do  you buy in a month?

O that tractor will use on average 800 litres a day. We used 35000 litres of diesel fuel this spring. It took us 27 days to seed. This includes the sprayer, semis, water truck and other tractors working 

• Like 1
Guest UnabashedUser

You've got a sharp handle on the expenses and a great looking batch of machinery and silos. Knowing the biz is the maker of success. Do you do the mechanical overhauls by yourself or do you have a mechanic on staff?

Our hired man is actually a journeyman heavy duty mechanic with a class 1a license. He can drive semi as well. We lucked out by hiring him. We do most of our own repair work. The equipment that still have warranty we send back to the shop, the rest we fix ourselves 

We have him on salary, not cheap but if you find a good person, look after them, pay them well and they will stay around 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The tractor is to the right, it has 4 tracks. The middle thing is the tool bar, that puts the seed and fertilizer in the ground. The white tank to the left hauls the seed and fertilizer. Its metered out of the tank by a hydraulic drive metering auger

• Like 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

The tractor is to the right, it has 4 tracks. The middle thing is the tool bar, that puts the seed and fertilizer in the ground. The white tank to the left hauls the seed and fertilizer. Its metered out of the tank by a hydraulic drive metering auger

I want to be a farmer too if i also get to drive big things haha always loved heawy veichles and then i meam REALLY heawy 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Peefreak99 said:

I want to be a farmer too if i also get to drive big things haha always loved heawy veichles and then i meam REALLY heawy 

Between the tractor and seeder the gross weight is around 220,000 pounds or so 

• Like 1