Dutch Tulip Festival!

The festival runs from late March to mid-May (2019 dates: 21st March – 19th May 2019) and depending on when you visit you’ll see different flowers in bloom.  The festival is located south of Amsterdam in the small town of Lisse.  It seems wonderful!  Has anyone here ever been to this event?   😉

keukenhof-tulip-guide-1-780x520.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

I've never been. Someday I want to go see it. My mom plants tulips every year 

I'd love to go too!  Tulips are so beautiful.  I gotta believe that someone here at Pee Fans has been to this event.  We have folks from all over the world here! 😉

Do you know what's more beautiful than roses on a piano?  Tulips on an organ!  🤣

• Haha 2
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

I'd love to go too!  Tulips are so beautiful.  I gotta believe that someone here at Pee Fans has been to this event.  We have folks from all over the world here! 😉

Do you know what's more beautiful than roses on a piano?  Tulips on an organ!  🤣

O iam sure one of our great members here must of been there hahah 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:05 AM, speedy3471 said:

Iam sure where there is pretty flowers, Nancy is there to piss on them hahahahaha

Pissing on flowers is adorable

Unless I want to pick them

In that case I chose my favourite ones and then cuddles the shunned ones by at least giving them a little treat...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Here is some praire crocuses. They grow in the spring on native grasslands. These grasslands have never been broke. We graze cattle on them 

20190407_142455.jpg

Ohhhh they are beautiful!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Hahahahahahaha

Once I saw an escaped cow heading toward a courtyard and start to eat flowers from balconies and she was so like YUMM YUMM YUMM and we tried to send it back and she was like Oh come on don't bother me I like flowers HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Haha 1
  • Love 1
Just now, spywareonya said:

Once I saw an escaped cow heading toward a courtyard and start to eat flowers from balconies and she was so like YUMM YUMM YUMM and we tried to send it back and she was like Oh come on don't bother me I like flowers HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hahahahaha. Ya cattle can be stubborn to work with if they are grazing where they shouldn't be 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Hahahahaha. Ya cattle can be stubborn to work with if they are grazing where they shouldn't be 

Alex was adorable

He got down from the car and heades her way and took her from the little horns (they have small batches of them in Europe, do your typologies have them too?) and gently dragged her away, but she shook her huge head and without even getting angry at him she MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOED at him and started to eat flowers again

At which point he gave up and went back to the car… we were dining in a restaurant and he couldn't risk for her to lick his expensive dress ahahahahahaha

• Haha 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, spywareonya said:

Alex was adorable

He got down from the car and heades her way and took her from the little horns (they have small batches of them in Europe, do your typologies have them too?) and gently dragged her away, but she shook her huge head and without even getting angry at him she MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOED at him and started to eat flowers again

At which point he gave up and went back to the car… we were dining in a restaurant and he couldn't risk for her to lick his expensive dress ahahahahahaha

Yes  certain cattle breeds here have horns, all breeds can get them. My dads cattle herd is red Angus. They typically don't have horns, if calves are born with them we will remove them

• Love 1
19 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Yes  certain cattle breeds here have horns, all breeds can get them. My dads cattle herd is red Angus. They typically don't have horns, if calves are born with them we will remove them

We should open a thread in the general chat about your farming world

I am not cuddling you, I'm serious!!!

Let's avoid further offtopics, they were my fault...

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, owlman76 said:

I went to the Dutch bulb festival over 30 years ago, it was excellent, the Dutch people are really warm and friendly, certainly to us British, I think it's down to the war, one thing was certain at the time, they didn't like the Germans. I think somewhere I still have some projector slides of the bulb fields, a lot of people go to Holland thinking there's going to be Tulips everywhere, they aren't, they are only grown in certain area's.

If you go into the history of the Dutch and their Tulip bulbs it's very very interesting, about 2 or 3 hundred years ago certain bulbs were changing hands for thousands and thousands of pounds, fortunes were made and lost on the sale of a bulb.

I would delighted to listen to a story about your visit there...

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ok first of all THANK YOU

This is an awsome story. It was marvellous to read

22 minutes ago, owlman76 said:

We all went over en masse, there was about 150 of us, we drove down to Sherness in Kent and caught the car ferry over to a place, I think it was called Flushing, or something like that, we drove to the place we were staying at, Vlissingen, If I remember correctly, and set up our tents

Here it already started to be adventurous!!!

we thought we'd just go out and about in small groups sightseeing and stuff, but on the first night we were all asked to go to this big barn, so we did, we waited outside wondering what was going to happen

Here I was like Oooooooooooooh in anticipation

they opened the door and took us in, there were tables laden with food and drink and girls dressed in the Dutch national costumes. They played music and we sang and danced until early in the morning it was great

Ouh this was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

We went all over Holland, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, lots of small towns and villages, I even began to learn a bit of the language, I'd go into a little bakery at lunchtime and point at something, the proprietor would tell me what it was, in Dutch and I'd ask for one. It was a really great way of integrating, I didn't always pronounce things right, but they appreciated I was making the effort, I learned a few phrases off this one guy and used them around town

This is wonderful

You made me live it through your story, it's so ALIVE

One day I was in this little shop, I'd been in there before, there was a couple of blokes in front of me but as soon as I walked in the owner asked what I wanted, I said that the other people were before me and they should be served first. He smiled at me then replied, "fuck them, they're Germans" and insisted on serving me first, I was amazed at this and asked my friend in the bakery about it, he said it was perfectly normal, they could forgive a lot of people, but they'd never forgive the Germans for what they did to the Dutch people during the war. I don't know if it's still like that or not

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

The funniest thing that happened was one day whilst visiting Amsterdam, I got knocked down by a man on a pedal cycle, then almost run into by a policeman, he was running down the street waving his gun about chasing someone

Like that, all of a sudden? Ahahahah it sounds like the beginning of a joke...

The Dutch are by and large a very pleasant people to deal with, unless you happen to be German, although that may have changed now, they have a beautiful country, lots of old historic buildings, great beer and good food, I'd recommend a visit to anyone if they get the chance.  

Wow, Amazing, marvellous, delightful!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

After the failed Arnhem campaign,over the winter of 1944,the Germans flooded huge areas of Holland to deny Allied forces the ability to advance.Thus flooding farmland and causing much starvation across the country,and thousands perished.Their own supplies were lacking,so they couldnt really feed the Dutch,who by autumn '44,were the only people of western Europe still under Nazi occupation.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, F.W said:

After the failed Arnhem campaign,over the winter of 1944,the Germans flooded huge areas of Holland to deny Allied forces the ability to advance.Thus flooding farmland and causing much starvation across the country,and thousands perished.Their own supplies were lacking,so they couldnt really feed the Dutch,who by autumn '44,were the only people of western Europe still under Nazi occupation.

This explains so many things...

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

Also,i think the Germans actually reduced the rations on purpose as a punishment for the Dutch peoples support for the Allied troops,that had liberated about 40% of the country.I think of all European people the Dutch do still bear the largest grudges.I think about 20000 people starved.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, F.W said:

Also,i think the Germans actually reduced the rations on purpose as a punishment for the Dutch peoples support for the Allied troops,that had liberated about 40% of the country.I think of all European people the Dutch do still bear the largest grudges.I think about 20000 people starved.

Holy fuck...

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

The Netherlands have a special connection and relationship with Canadian's. We liberated them during the second world war. They tend to our military cemeteries with deep honour and respect.

All we asked for in return for liberating them was a place to bury our fallen heroes