A nice mansion.

2prnot2p

42 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

It cost $4 million to build in 1915.  I have no clue what it would be worth in today's dollars.  Mrs. Ford willed it to the University of Michigan when she died.  So, they own it.  Otherwise, we'd never get to enjoy it.  She did the right thing!

Mmmh… is a bit expensive

Think I'll buy the Castle of Avalon, Excalibur included in the offer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

It cost $4 million to build in 1915.  I have no clue what it would be worth in today's dollars.  Mrs. Ford willed it to the University of Michigan when she died.  So, they own it.  Otherwise, we'd never get to enjoy it.  She did the right thing!

I don't know if I even want to know what its worth on today's dollars haha

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Add the historical worth

It cannot be computed

I would say of the likes of a hundred millions dollars maybe, but the historical value is difficult to understand

maybe a billion

Edited by spywareonya
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

Add the historical worth

It cannot be computed

I would say of the likes of a hundred millions dollars maybe, but the historical value is difficult to understand

maybe a billion

Totally agree. Hell just for arguments sake its priceless considering its historical value 

• Agree 1
24 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

Totally agree. Hell just for arguments sake its priceless considering its historical value 

Ahahahahah good to know you agree about this Mansion, thank you FORDATH ahahahahah

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:16 PM, speedy3471 said:

According to one inflation checking site, it would cost $99,498,217.82 to build the mansion today. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedy3471 said:

Well that's out of my price range hahahahahaha

The funny thing is that Ford could have built a much larger, more expensive house.  Matilda Dodge, widow of John Dodge, remarried and built a home here in Michigan that makes Ford's mansion look like a cottage.  It's 88,000 square feet and has over 100 rooms!  So, you could say that Ford was quite frugal when he built his house.  

Ford's is 31,000 square feet and has 65 rooms.  I think once you get to a certain size, it just becomes ridiculous.  His is plenty large and fancy enough for most wealthy people. 

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

The funny thing is that Ford could have built a much larger, more expensive house.  Matilda Dodge, widow of Horace Dodge, remarried and built a home here in Michigan that makes Ford's mansion look like a cottage.  It's 88,000 square feet and has over 100 rooms!  So, you could say that Ford was quite frugal when he built his house.  

Ford's is 31,000 square feet and has 65 rooms.  I think once you get to a certain size, it just becomes ridiculous.  His is plenty large and fancy enough for most wealthy people. 

Wow 88000 square feet is over kill hahaH

• Agree 1

@speedy3471

I stand corrected.  The Dodge Car Co. was owned by brothers Horace and John Dodge.  It was John's widow, Matilda, who built the aforementioned 88,000 sq. ft. mansion.  It's called Meadow Brook Hall.  I've been there many times.  It won't fit in any pic.  What you see is a fraction of it.  It's the second largest home in the USA.  110 rooms, 88,000 square feet!  Here's a pic:

800px-Meadowbrook_Hall.JPG

Then, Horace's widow, Anna, built a mansion after his death called Rose Terrace, also here in Michigan.  It was 42,000 sq. ft.  It was torn down in 1976.  Here's a pic of that house:

Rose_Terrace (Dodge Masnion).jpg

Finally, Henry Ford's son, Edsel, built a 30,000 sq. ft. mansion near Rose Terrace (pictured above).  It is still standing and is open for tours just like Henry Ford's house and Meadow Brook Hall.  Here's a pic of that home:

EdselFordHouse.jpg

Finally, here's Henry Ford's again.  I really like it.  Big, but not crazy big. 

1019222381_RearSide.jpg.e5d728964b5a3602d259045cedd099ed.jpg

I like them all.  Meadow Brook Hall is the grandest, of course.  But, I think Henry Ford's is my favorite.  The setting is the most quaint and it's only about 3 miles from where I live now!  LOL!  Which do you like best?  I welcome your thoughts.

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

@speedy3471

I stand corrected.  The Dodge Car Co. was owned by brothers Horace and John Dodge.  It was John's widow, Matilda, who built the aforementioned 88,000 sq. ft. mansion.  It's called Meadow Brook Hall.  I've been there many times.  Here's a pic:

800px-Meadowbrook_Hall.JPG

Then, Horace's widow, Anna, built a mansion after his death called Rose Terrace, also here in Michigan.  It was 42,000 sq. ft.  It was torn down in 1976.  Here's a pic of that house:

Rose_Terrace (Dodge Masnion).jpg

Finally, Henry Ford's son, Edsel, built a 30,000 sq. ft. mansion near Rose Terrace (pictured above).  It is still standing and is open for tours just like Henry Ford's house and Meadow Brook Hall.  Here's a pic of that home:

EdselFordHouse.jpg

Wow big beautiful houses thats for sure. I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to clean any of them hahaha

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, speedy3471 said:

Wow big beautiful houses thats for sure. I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to clean any of them hahaha

And, can you imagine the gas and electric bills?  I don't believe any of them have A/C.  The ceilings are so high that all the heat rises way up.  I've been to 2 of them on hot summer days and it didn't feel bad inside at all. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

And, can you imagine the gas and electric bills?  I don't believe any of them have A/C.  The ceilings are so high that all the heat rises way up.  I've been to 2 of them on hot summer days and it didn't feel bad inside at all. 

No I can't lol. I know who much my power and gas is a month, it's enough haha. And all I hear is my little house and a little 50×50 foot shop lol

• Like 1

When I had my band, we did a gig at Henry Ford's house.  We also had one booked at Meadow Brook Hall!  But, sadly, it got cancelled at the last minute.  The bride and groom called off the wedding.  Damn!  I was so looking forward to playing my drums there!  Oh well...

• Like 1

Now, let's really switch gears!  Here's a pic of the late Beatle George Harrison's castle.  His widow, Olivia, still lives there.  I love it!  It's in England.

Harrison's_Mansion.jpg

He only paid $2 million for it in 1970!  Can you believe that?  It sits on several acres of land too.  Beautiful!

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

Now, let's really switch gears!  Here's a pic of the late Beatle George Harrison's castle.  His widow, Olivia, still lives there.  I love it!  It's in England.

Harrison's_Mansion.jpg

He only paid $2 million for it in 1970!  Can you believe that?  It sits on several acres of land too.  Beautiful!

WOW. I can't imagine what it's worth today

• Like 1
1 hour ago, speedy3471 said:

WOW. I can't imagine what it's worth today

I have no idea, Speedy.  It was old and in disrepair when he bought it.  He had to put a lot of money into it fixing it up.  I gotta believe it's much larger than any of the Michigan homes I've shown here.  I cannot find any stats on square feet or the number of rooms.  But, it seems much larger to me than any of the U.S. auto moguls' mansions.  I'd bet it is considerably larger! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

I have no idea, Speedy.  It was old and in disrepair when he bought it.  He had to put a lot of money into it fixing it up.  I gotta believe it's much larger than any of the Michigan homes I've shown here.  I cannot find any stats on square feet or the number of rooms.  But, it seems much larger to me than any of the U.S. auto moguls' mansions.  I'd bet it is considerably larger! 

O I would agree with you. It would be cool to live in a castle hahaha

• Like 1
1 minute ago, speedy3471 said:

O I would agree with you. It would be cool to live in a castle hahaha

When we played at Henry Ford's house, my then wife, the singer, agreed with me when I said that I could feel comfy there.  But, at Meadow Brook Hall, it's another story.  It's beautiful, but feels so huge, like a hotel.  My fave room there was a small smoking parlor at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor.  It's about a 16 x 16 foot room and real cozy.  I told her, "This is where I'd hang out.  I'd have my Miller Lite, my smokes, my music, and just chill in this little room."  LOL!  She agreed.

One must feel "at home."  And, some of these places, as impressive as they are, wouldn't feel like home.  Maybe it's just me.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

When we played at Henry Ford's house, my then wife, the singer, agreed with me when I said that I could feel comfy there.  But, at Meadow Brook Hall, it's another story.  It's beautiful, but feels so huge, like a hotel.  My fave room there was a small smoking parlor at the top of the stairs on the 2nd floor.  It's about a 16 x 16 foot room and real cozy.  I told her, "This is where I'd hang out.  I'd have my Miller Lite, my smokes, my music, and just chill in this little room."  LOL!  She agreed.

One must feel "at home."  And, some of these places, as impressive as they are, wouldn't feel like home.  Maybe it's just me.

I totally agree with you. Places that big wouldn't feel like home to me either. I need my dog and beer for the place to feel like home hahahahah

• Agree 1