What book are you currently reading? (Literacy Discussion)

Admin

I'm currently reading the third and final instalment in the Hunger Games series, Mockingjay. I've only just started it but am interested to see how the whole thing ends.

Anyway, my question to you all is firstly; what book are you currently reading (or, if nothing, what have you read lately).

Feel free to recommend books or review what you're currently reading, or just discuss books in general. Another good question - but a harder one - would be what is your favourite book?

Book I am currently reading - Poland by James A Michener

Of the novels I have ever read, I would say the best sci-fi was The Forge of God by Greg Bear. The best historical fiction - Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel. Best horror/urban thriller - Headhunter by Michael Slade

• 4 months later...

Another slightly nerdy choice from me, Game of Thrones.

I mentioned in another thread that the tv show had inspired me to read the novels, and that time has come. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Even though I haven't finished reading Fighter Pilot by the late Robin Olds a Triple Ace from 2 wars of air combat . I have also started reading Dam Busters by James Holland . about the famous W W I I Dam bombing that had crippled 3 major dams in Germany and was flown at very low levels to achieve accuracy in destroying those 3 dams . A very Historic mission . That was just celebrated in the U.K. just recently

I also will start reading soon Frozen In Time by Mitchell Zuckoff . About searching and recovering aircraft lost over Greenland's ice cap during W .W.I I and what it took in searching for such aircraft . Plus the frigid conditions that all were faced with . Both air crews who were forced to crash land on the ice cape . That of the expeditions later in trying to relocate and eventually salvage such aircraft from the ice . Noteby that of the rare P - 38 Lighting names Glacier Girl . Now restored to flight here in the U.S. . That was lost during W .W.I I in a flight of 6 other P -38's and 1 B - 17's Flying Fortress . Known as the Lost Squadron . Which is a story all its own of survial , rescue and eventual recovery of such rare aircraft from that very cold , harsh environment .

I note that you mention the author James Holland. I have never read his Dambusters book, but I do own - and have read - four other books of his.

Together we stand. This is about the last year of the war in North Africa from 1942-1943.

Italy's sorrow. About the war in Italy 1944-1945

Fortress Malta. About the airial siege of Malta 1940-1943

Battle of Britain. About the air war over Britain in 1940

With your obvious interest in World War 2 vintage military aircraft and air combat, I reckon you'd love the last of those for sure.

How very interesting ! What's the title to that book and the author's name ?

I might be interested in reading it myself . It would be very intriguing to learn from it on what had exactly occurred day by day during that

World War .

It is simply called - World War II Day By Day by Donald Sommerville.