Does anyone know the best tactics for holding without it hurting??

I’m going to suggest (or guess really) that the pain you feel is your bladder telling your brain that it’s at capacity.  Basically reminding you that you need to pee, there is a risk your over-full bladder can rupture which could be fatal. 

So it’s not about drinking anything different to stop the pain - but different drinks can change the rate at which your bladder fills up.  A diuretic is a substance which speeds up the rate of producing urine - so alcohol, caffeine, some sweeteners can do that.

Drinking water rather than those substances could let you fill up more gradually and hence over a longer time - but do it safely. 

Part of it will be depending on what the aim of the hold is.   If you are just wanting to delay going to the toilet for as long as possible then the obvious is to drink very little.   However, if you want to get to a full capacity and then hold, you will need to drink more, but not excessively, then when it gets to the point where you start to need to pee, ease back on the drinks but keep consuming slowly, then you will fill your bladder more slowly and it will be able to expand a bit to cope with the liquid going in.  Once it gets to the point of pain, you have to consider whether it is a good idea to progress further or not.   

I don't really practice holding, but I do notice that if I drink large quantities quickly, then once I need to pee then I don't have a great deal of time before I have to go and I can incur involuntary leakage because I've passed capacity and the body's safety valve (for want of a better word) allows pee to escape slightly. On the other hand, when I drink more slowly, I can drink a good amount over several hours and can hold on for much longer after the sensations develop.   

I assume you are holding your pee until you physically can't hold it any longer and your pee comes out on its own. That is how I have always done it , and yea it hurts. I think the pain is worse if you fill up rapidly, rather than naturally. If the pain becomes too much there are a few things I do to expedite matters. i . Do something that I know is likely to increase my desperation, like  do a sinkful of dishes, or listen to water running. I really love the its about to come out sensation,so I still squirm and grab myself, just not so forcefully.

I have also semi-cheated by relaxing my sphincter a few times until I feel my pee start to flow, then clamp it shut just before it comes out. This is torture on my already straining bladder. Each time I do it my desperation increases significantly.  After several almost leaking I can no longer stop it from coming out.

But most of all age has ended my holding to  I am in excruciating pain . Now very uncomfortable or somewhat painful is the best I can do before I wet my pants.

• 2 weeks later...