The Chamber Pot

When my mother had a long term illness I was sent to my Grandparents for about 3 months. They lived in a large rambling Victorian property. One day, I ventured into their bedroom and saw a large ceramic chamber pot beneath the bed. Of course, I was aware of a 'potty', as it is called, but they were usually plastic, and in muted 'Tupperware' colours. But this was a fine antique...white with a blue patterned floral design, rather like Wedgwood pottery. Curious, I peeked inside and saw a dark golden yellow pool..acrid and pungent...like ammonia, that made me gag a little. I became curious, because my Grandparents bathroom was literally next door and wondered why they chose to use the pot.

• Like 1

I used to stay with my uncle and aunt many many years ago. They had chamber pots which they used every night. I think it was more that the house was freezing and it saved them going down the corridor to the bathroom than any interest in peeing (sadly!)

I became curious, because my Grandparents bathroom was literally next door and wondered why they chose to use the pot.
So, how curious did you become? :wink: And, you mean to tell me you've always walked down the hall to use a bathroom rather than a pot?
So, how curious did you become? :wink: And, you mean to tell me you've always walked down the hall to use a bathroom rather than a pot?

Well Glad1, I have to say that I used an old cooking pan when I was a student...living in freezing digs and having an outside loo!!

• Like 2

One thing I have often wondered is how the women used chamber pots in the days of old. Did they actually sit on it to pee, or squat over it? Or even pee in an almost standing position, holding the pot between their legs? I know that the bourdalou is designed to be held between the legs and was only used for peeing.

• 3 weeks later...
When my mother had a long term illness I was sent to my Grandparents for about 3 months. They lived in a large rambling Victorian property. One day, I ventured into their bedroom and saw a large ceramic chamber pot beneath the bed. Of course, I was aware of a 'potty', as it is called, but they were usually plastic, and in muted 'Tupperware' colours. But this was a fine antique...white with a blue patterned floral design, rather like Wedgwood pottery. Curious, I peeked inside and saw a dark golden yellow pool..acrid and pungent...like ammonia, that made me gag a little. I became curious, because my Grandparents bathroom was literally next door and wondered why they chose to use the pot.

Do you think this had any part in your later interest in this subject?

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if, once you've grown up with chamber pots being just a normal thing, that you take them for granted. Sure, they smell, but you don't have to go far in the cold in the middle of the night, and so you stick to the habit that you know. If your grandparents grew up with outside toilets and no central heating they'd be used to chamber pots and would maybe stick with them, where a younger person might be, like, eeeeuw, I'm not pissing in that, I'll have to clean it up.