Nice clue in the Guardian cryptic crossword on Saturday

I think you may have led me there to the first ever cryptic clue I've solved.  Well, saying 'I've solved' is rather a strong way of putting it.

Not going to spoil the pleasure for anyone else.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Kupar said:

"Waste hour in Ealing? Not all of it" (5)

I'll give you a little while to work it out. 

I have always wanted to be like Inspector Morse. Whilst I have the penchant for real ale, opera, classical music and an unerring ability to be rubbish at pulling ladies, I will never own a classic car nor ever get a crossword clue right....

• Hug 1
5 hours ago, harry_jones_1975 said:

Angle?

No. Another clue. Why would I have posted it to this forum? And the answer is literally in the question 🙂

30 minutes ago, harry_jones_1975 said:

Only 5 letter answer related here I can think of is Urine. Only anagram I can see is Angel or Angle or Glean and can't link them to pee.

Yeah if you look it's actually in there. And "waste" is the synonym which is usually provided. When I first saw it I assumed that "Not all of it" was the synonym and was thinking along the line of "parts", with a P and "arts" somehow. But actually "Not all of it" is the clue of how to get the answer from the rest.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 7:51 AM, harry_jones_1975 said:

Only 5 letter answer related here I can think of is Urine. Only anagram I can see is Angel or Angle or Glean and can't link them to pee.

Right first time: Waste / hoUR IN Ealing? / Not all of it

Edited by Kupar
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2