New Product Allows Women to Pee in Bed

I've been seeing TV commercials recently for the "PureWick Urine Collection System":

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-purewick-urine-collection-system-starter-set-with-battery.html

"PureWick Catheter System works outside the body to draw urine away, helping keep skin dry and allowing for simple, non-invasive urine output management in female patients. It uses low-pressure wall suction, the PureWick Female External Catheter wicks urine away from the patient and into a designated collection canister."

Based on the commercials, it seems to be marketed primarily for use among older women, e.g. to reduce bedwetting and/or nighttime bathroom trips. But it seems to me that pretty much anyone could use it.

I'm kind of still trying to figure out how it works. It has a sort of "wand," which I guess goes between the user's legs? It specifies that it's for external use. And it has suction too. So it's kind of like a small shopvac I guess?

Has anyone else seen the commercials? Would you use this product?

19 hours ago, Hidengo said:

These have been around for a while— it’s hospital technology.

Ok, thanks. I assumed it was new because I've just started seeing the commercials. All of a sudden they're being heavily marketed. 

On 1/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, Kirby23 said:

Ok, thanks. I assumed it was new because I've just started seeing the commercials. All of a sudden they're being heavily marketed. 

Probably just became covered by insurance or something. 

I've long wondered whether it would be possible to create a hose attachment that could make a good enough seal with the female anatomy to allow mess-free peeing while lounging in a chair clothed or even lying in bed. I mostly came to the conclusion that as enticing as the idea sounds, it probably wouldn't work well. 

The description of this device seems to support this conclusion. Despite the "wand" part actually sitting inside the labia after they are spread, and despite the suction, it only catches 95% of the urine. That is passably OK in a hospital where bodily fluids tend to get everywhere anyway, but doesn't exactly make for a relaxing pee at home on a cold morning when you don't want to get out of bed. That seems like it will unfortunately be the sole right of males with bottles for the time being. And even for them, there are times when a bottle has spilled a bit as I tilting it back upright after peeing into it sideways. You really do have to be standing to guarantee not making a mess.

• Like 1