The hiking thread

glad1

Recently, a few people have asked about my hiking experiences and what advice I can offer them. It seems around here at least I'm considered somewhat an expert. Perhaps a few things I've written have either gotten them to take up an interest or recall some favorite memories from their past.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, from how to get started, what to wear (in short, sensible clothing and weather appropriate), how to choose a good trail, what to bring along, basic trail etiquette, what one might see when out there, as well as finding that ideal trail partner. Whether you're just going out for an hour or two, planning a full day-hike or even camping out for several nights, I'll do my best to offer my assistance.

Now, us hikers may not be large in number compared to other sports, but we tend look out for one another. In fact, have a saying, "What happens on the trail, stays on the trail." (Actually what doesn't get absorbed by the ground tends to flow downhill.) So, if you have any interesting stories of your own, I'd expect you not to blurt them out to family and friends. Although, I wouldn't mind the occasional post here.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Hi @glad1, Only just seen this thread.   I used to be a keen walker when I was much younger.  I used to do "fell walking" in the Lake District in Northern England, which was basically walking up the hills/mountains (which are known as fells) in the Lake District.  I also used to go to parts of Scotland and Wales.   Scale in the UK is completely different to the US, I know - we don't have great big open areas in the same way as you do and our highest fells are about 3000 feet.   I've climbed the highest in England, Scotland and Wales (Scafell, Scafell Pike, Helvellyn, Skiddaw, Ben Nevis, Snowdon) for example and plenty of others.  

These days I don't really do much because I live in a different area and also my wife is not well enough to do long distance walking.   

I have done a couple of backpacking holidays with friends, walking and carrying tents etc on our backs, with a mixture of wild camping and camping on camp sites.

All good fun and plenty of opportunity to pee outdoors.  Unfortunately I never really did much walking with ladies.

• Like 1