Limited Public Washrooms

In my area, many commercial, hotels, restaurants and other types, complained to the city that since they have closed some public washrooms, that they started having more people infiltrating and using their washrooms and say its for clients only. The "unwanted clients" make a mess and don't care at all. So when the city replied saying that they don't plan on opening new or old ones. Most of the commercials except mcdonalds have a lock on their washrooms doors and many people go in the allyways, parking lots or any place they can find. Just this morning, as I was walking from my car to work, there was 1 female and 4 men peeing next to a building where I work. We have had some people showing up and asking to use our washrooms but our president has asked to deny them and complain to the city.

It is kinda nasty and i am sure if nothing gets done, it will be bad this spring.

Do some of you have this problem in your area?

• Like 2

Public toilets that are open at night can be quite hard to find in Australian cities. In Queensland, the law was changed a couple of years ago to allow police to issue on the spot fines for urinating in public. If toilets aren't available, what else do the authorities expect people to do? As far as I'm concerned, provided the person is being discreet, I don't think there should be any penalty for peeing in public.

Australian businesses are a bit more relaxed about non-customers using their facilities than businesses in many of the other countries I've visited, so that can sometimes be an option. In Europe, I noticed a lot of businesses have signs on the front door saying that toilets are for the use of customers only.

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK there are many public toilets that are closing down or are closed at night. This is in the interest of saving money for the local councils. In my area, they have not yet really been hit, although they do normally get closed around 7pm. I often wish I lived in a bigger town so there was more chance of catching people peeing outside when desperate in the evenings. I do know other areas near me where the toilets have been closed. One such toilet is in a park. It has a sign on the outside of the toilet door which says "These facilities are not in use until further notice". However, the door remains unlocked and the toilets are still actually operating. I went inside both the gents and the ladies and found that what has happened is that the toilets are still being used, but they are not being cleaned, so they are in a bit of a state. The ladies had two quite disgusting toilets and there was a sizeable puddle on the floor in the main part outside of the cubicles. The area around the back of the toilets appears well trodden, implying that there are a few people that most go round the back for a pee. There was a bin outside the toilet door and it had quite a few tissues in it, so I guess some ladies may have peed behind the toilet and then put their tissues in the bin.

Not quite an app, but a different use of technology: In Westminster, London, there are signs up in some areas telling you to text "TOILET" to 80097 to find your nearest toilet.

A lot of public toilets in London are now "Pay As You Go" - or more strictly "Pay before you go". They have turnstiles at the entrance or they are the automatic type. The toilets at Waterloo station are pay toilets, so needless to say, I usually find a quiet side street nearby instead. There used to be a free access toilet in Burger King at Waterloo Station, but when the station started charging for their toilets, too many people used to go into Burger King just for the toilet, so now they have closed the toilets in Burger King completely. Even paying customers have to now go back out of Burger King and use the (chargeable) station toilets.

• Like 1