Excellent sighting in Guildford

Great sighting, thanks for the details.

I used to manage a few sightings some years ago but since pubs stayed open later and crossed over with night clubs opening there seem to be less these days.

One of my favourite places for sightings used to be car parks just off the town centre, loads would squat next to the car before getting in to go home.

JesseP, totally agree. When I was at university in Newcastle quite a few years ago, pubs closed at 11pm and then people went to clubs or went home, often via a local kebab place with no toilets and/or a long wait for a taxi. There was nowhere to pee and everyone was outside at once for a period between 11pm and midnight, which was a great opportunity for catching sightings. Now everything is more spread out and it is much harder to catch people. The other thing is that it seems to me that people are just not getting as drunk as they used to get. It used to be that a good half of people falling out of pubs or clubs would be staggering up the street, maybe stumbling and falling over, but now, most of them seem to be much more in control of their actions. I'm sure this also leads to less people peeing outside - especially the girls.

There was a missed opportunity on Saturday though. There were two young ladies who left the taxi queue at around 2am. They walked along the road a bit and turned to go down an underpass which led to the river. Two lads also left the taxi queue and one of them shouted one of the girl's name and then "where are you going?" One of the girls replied "To the loo!", which obviously meant they were going to pee in the underpass or the area by the river at the other end of the underpass as there were no toilets about other than a male oriented "Urilift" pop up street urinal. Unfortunately the lads then carried on talking with them and walked with them as they went down the under pass. They all hung around at the other end of the underpass for about 5 minutes, then came back without peeing. I'm sure that I could have had two good sightings there if the lads hadn't spoiled it.

Having mentioned the street urinal, it might be worth mentioning that this saw plenty of use by males, but interestingly, there were also a few males that peed outside in the street using quiet corners within sight of the urinal! There was also a corner behind one of the clubs which saw frequent use, but again, as far as I could see, only by males.

• Like 1

Egwalrus, totally agree. With an open air car park you can stay discrete and observe where people go, then if you see certain behaviour such as someone looking around and then dropping down out of site then you can get a good chance of a sighting. In multi storey parking, there is too much area to cover and too many places to hide.