How long of an unexpected delay before it becomes appropriate to pee?

How long of an unexpected delay before it becomes appropriate to pee?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How long of an unexpected delay before it becomes appropriate to pee?

• 15 minutes
    • 30 minutes
    • 1 hour
    • 2 hours
    • 3 hours
    • 4 hours
    • 6 hours

Obviously, some people pee in working elevators, out of desperation or to save time, we've sewn videos of that. But that's way past my tolerance for legal risks. If people are stuck for a long enough time in an elevator, it becomes acceptable to pee, because they don't have another choice. I doubt anyone stuck in an elevator was ever exposed to liabilities, usually they'd get a greater apology because of the "embarrassment" caused.

But how long is "long enough"? There was one time I was bursting to pee, and if the elevator had even a 2 minute hiccup I would need to pee or wet myself in the elevator (after the 10 second ride I barely made it to the toilet in time and started peeing before fully seated). But if I had to pee in the elevator I think nobody would buy my story that it was necessary.

The fact is sometimes people are carrying a very full bladder and they have no budget for any delays. I wrote this with getting stuck in an elevator in mind, but it applies in many cases. Maybe you're 5 minutes away from a bladder accident when a cop pulls you over. Or on a plane the washrooms are closed (turbulence, refuelling, etc).

I doubt there's any legal standard that we must carry a minimum of x time in bladder capacity, but what is the social standard?

• Like 1

I voted 15 min cause it was the shortest amount of time. I think if you're bursting and get stuck somewhere, know you can't hold it, you should pee. 

I mean if the options i had in an elevator were wet my pants or pee in the corner and i only had 15 minutes or less to decide, I'd pee in the corner lol.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
19 hours ago, Foobar said:

But how long is "long enough"? There was one time I was bursting to pee, and if the elevator had even a 2 minute hiccup I would need to pee or wet myself in the elevator (after the 10 second ride I barely made it to the toilet in time and started peeing before fully seated). But if I had to pee in the elevator I think nobody would buy my story that it was necessary.

I personally wouldn't undertake an activity where I would be pushing my limits of holding with no toilet available.  I would leave a margin of 10-20 minutes for an elevator (lift) or maybe 30 minutes for a automobile/taxi trip.

20 hours ago, Foobar said:

The fact is sometimes people are carrying a very full bladder and they have no budget for any delays. I wrote this with getting stuck in an elevator in mind, but it applies in many cases. Maybe you're 5 minutes away from a bladder accident when a cop pulls you over. Or on a plane the washrooms are closed (turbulence, refuelling, etc).

Judging by the picture of the pee puddle surrounding the woman in the news picture, I would say that she waited her maximum possible.  That is a huge bladderful of pee in that puddle.  My question is whether she did anything to put herself in that situation (didn't use the restroom when it was available), whether she tried to ask for another restoom or tried to use a drink cup or plastic waste bag.  I believe I would have at least tried to use a rubbish/trash bag or airsickness bag which are plentiful on aircraft.