Waterproof hiking pants experience?

I'm going for long walks soon. Does anyone have experience with waterproof hiking pants? I would like to release all my pee while walking, without it being visible on the outside. But then I feel the nice warm pee along my legs. Naughty.

• Hot 1

@pipis, do you mean waterproof over-trousers that are completely waterproof (e.g. Goretex or nylon type of thing) or do you mean trousers that are trousers that are normal walking trousers which are showerproof?   

I guess it doesn't make a lot of difference, but if you are using over trousers, whatever you are wearing underneath would get very wet but nobody could tell from the outside other than the fact that the material of the over-trousers may cling to the wet trousers beneath. You would also probably find that your boots fill with pee, although I have tried doing things like sitting on a bench with legs stretched out in front, then the over-trousers hang away from your ankles and the pee flows down the inside of the back of the leg and runs out in a stream at the ankle, missing your boots.

If you are talking about the type of trousers which are actual trousers rather than over-trousers, then I think you'd get away with it quite happily.  you may still get pee in your boots though.

I hardly ever wear waterproof rain pants except for in the extreme cold. Those would be fine to wet on the inside but as Alfresco said, it's going into your shoes. Anything that's DWR aka water resistant is going to show as the volume concentrated on one spot will bleed through. Maybe not as much as say, cotton, but pee will end up bleeding through. Not that I've exactly wet (or will wet) anything in my hiking kit, this is from experience with rain, snow, fog and wet brush. However if you have something waxed, like Fjallravens (make sure it's actually waxed), that should probably work but I'm not about to wet my Fjallravens. And I believe the wax is just applied to the outside but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

If you’re walking any distance then having normal pants which hold pee against your skin could get quite uncomfortable too. 

Perhaps as an alternative, how about some stretchy outdoor pants like leggings - like runners or climbers may wear.  If you got those in a black colour there’s a good chance you could wet in them and carry on without them showing wet patches.  Just a thought…

• Like 1