On the train

Not a sighting but an overhearing. I caught the train yesterday and as it was a Saturday afternoon it was extremely busy. There were also delays to the trains due to some excuse or other.

We were therefore sitting at a particular station for some time, and I was standing at the end of the carriage, next to the toilet. A young lady, who was about 20 with blonde hair and a summery dress, walked up to the toilet and went inside. At this point a user is faced with a large notice stating "DO NOT USE THIS TOILET WHILST THE TRAIN IS IN A STATION", which she saw and turned around back to her seat.

A little while later the guard came on the tannoy to say that we would be moving shortly, and attendants started shutting the doors along the length of the train. Looking into the carriage to see if there were any seats (there weren't) I caught a glimpse of the girl, who was sitting on a seat with her legs fidgeting and crossed tightly.

As soon as we pulled out of the station at a slow pace she marched up the aisle, into the toilet. I could hear her hissing stream over the sound of the train moving which was quite an achievement!

(American readers should know that railway travel in the UK is subject to regular disruption, with the British Rail excuses ranging from the mundane to the inconceivable. Also, trains manufactured prior to the 1970s discharged the contents of the toilet straight onto the track, and doing so at the station would be rather unpleasant for anybody on the platform, thus the warning sign. There is no reason why one shouldn't use the toilet, so long as they do not flush it until the train has left, but luckily this girl didn't know this.)

• Like 1
There is no reason why one shouldn't use the toilet, so long as they do not flush it until the train has left, but luckily this girl didn't know this.

Actually, in one of the older trains I have seen, the "toilet" was nothing more than a chute: you could actually see the boards and gravel defiling under you as you went!

I have certainly seen wadges of wet tissue on the sleepers in stations, where people have chosen to ignore the instructions not to use the toilet in the station. I remember once being stood on a platform when a train pulled in. I could see a shadowy figure on the inside of the frosted glass of the toilet window. As the train pulled to a stop, the figure stood up and flushed. I could hear the water splashing down onto the track and then when the train pulled out there was a fresh wet patch and some sodden tissue.

On a similar idea, I remember being on a fairly small passenger boat - sized for around 150 people in the mediterranean sea. I went to the toilet onboard and the toilet looked like a traditional western toilet, but it was open bottomed and you could see the sea flowing past the bottom of it. Obviously this was a case of peeing straight into the sea.

• 7 months later...

I used to take the train between Seattle and Longview. I usually had to pee at least once on the trip. The toilet flushed to the track. When I flushed the bottom of the toilet opened and the water came on rincing my pee and TP down to the track. While the toilet flushed I could look down and see the track There is a toilet for the

My husband is into train photography and I would go with him to the railroad yards. Usually I had to pee after while. No ladies room in the railroad yards. When I had to pee I used a caboose.There is a toilet for the trainmen to use. Sometimes it was just a tube with a toilet seat on it and it didn't flush. My pee went out under the caboose a

long with my TP

464-10766.JPG.944e9b00d42ce082e68507f050556c70.JPG

I used to take the train between Seattle and Longview. I usually had to pee at least once on the trip. The toilet flushed to the track. When I flushed the bottom of the toilet opened and the water came on rincing my pee and TP down to the track. While the toilet flushed I could look down and see the track There is a toilet for the

My husband is into train photography and I would go with him to the railroad yards. Usually I had to pee after while. No ladies room in the railroad yards. When I had to pee I used a caboose.There is a toilet for the trainmen to use. Sometimes it was just a tube with a toilet seat on it and it didn't flush. My pee went out under the caboose a[ATTACH=full]34796[/ATTACH] long with my TP

Here's a post I put on peesearch a while ago

This reminds me of when I travelled on a train to Plymouth about 20 years ago. It was a red hot mid summer day and I was leaning out the door window when you still could, when an attractive young woman entered the toilet just in front of me. After a while the toilet flush splashed onto the track as it used to then, and a strong waft of hot pee came up from the red hot rails. She left the toilet and I had a good look as she passed me with no idea of what I had jused witnessed !

I have more from last weekend I'll post soon.

• Like 1

My husband is into train photography and I would go with him to the railroad yards. Usually I had to pee after while. No ladies room in the railroad yards. When I had to pee I used a caboose.There is a toilet for the trainmen to use. Sometimes it was just a tube with a toilet seat on it and it didn't flush. My pee went out under the caboose a[ATTACH=full]34796[/ATTACH] long with my TP

Last weekend we spent some time on the Keighley and Worth valley Railway with another couple. It started as just a simple trip but we found we could ride all day and they served real ale on the train so we had a few pints. My friends wife left the train in a station for a pee but my wife was a bit late and ran out of time. After we were underway I suggested we found a loo on the train as she had soon become bursting. We walked along the train for a while before we found an open toilet. As she went in I went to the adjacent door window and opened it, leant out and enjoyed the view. When she flushed, out poured out under the carriage onto the track with a swoosh but didn't splash too much due the slow speed. I smiled to myself as she re-joined me but I couldn't go for obvious reasons.

Until Amfleet and superliner cars went into service thetoilets on trains flushed directly to the track. There was a sign next to every toilet that read:"Please flush toilet after each use except when train is standing in the station"

There were several times when I used the men's room on the train that when I flushed the toilet I could see the ties and gravel under the train