Secretary talked to me whilst I was in the toilet

Yes. Somewhat strange @Alfresco. But maybe she was just really keen to get going - perhaps realising she was late - so couldn't wait till you'd finished, and didn't know whether you would come back downstairs 

In any case you could use the downstairs toilet more, but then if your office is upstairs that might look odd.

17 hours ago, Kupar said:

Yes. Somewhat strange @Alfresco. But maybe she was just really keen to get going - perhaps realising she was late - so couldn't wait till you'd finished, and didn't know whether you would come back downstairs 

In any case you could use the downstairs toilet more, but then if your office is upstairs that might look odd.

She wouldn't expect me to necessarily come downstairs when I'd finished - I'd be more likely to just return to my office.

I do venture downstairs a few times in the day - making tea, responding to her queries/issues with her work, putting washing on etc.   However, I usually just go down, do what I need to do and then go back up again, so I'm sure she would think it a bit strange that I choose to use the toilet next to her office rather than the one upstairs.   In some ways I wish we had a standard kettle as I would have the excuse of using the downstairs loo whilst the kettle boiled, but we have a hot water boiler which is always ready to go and therefore no need to wait whilst it boils.  Might work sometimes if I'm down there for a longer time though.

• Like 1

From everything you've described,  if you were as an example to take some washing down, potter about in the kitchen with it, make a brew, it sounds like there's a reasonable chance of getting into conversation with the secretary either on a work or social matter.

Then mid conversation it wouldn't seem at all unnatural for you to ask "would you just excuse me for one moment" before ducking into the nearby downstairs toilet.  And whilst doing so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to swing the door mostly closed, but not actually shut and lock it.  After all it's your house - why do you need to hide away - you're both adults with moral standards and it's obvious you're in there.  Clearly different people have different conventions in their own homes and it wouldn't be unreasonable or give out TOO overt a message.

If she just considers peeing as a bodily function then she'll probably take away that so do you, that you trust her and aren't uncomfortable with her being nearby. If she has any passing interest, well maybe you'd tick a box on her list by her being able to listen and imagine the scene, maybe trigger one of those conversations 'sounded like you needed that...' that can lead on to some very fun chats and two way anecdote sharing from there or in the future.

Just a perfectly natural behaviour in one's own home.

• Like 3