Public-er Restrooms

I'm interested in the various kinds of toilets in public spaces that we don't seem to have in the USA. 

There are some countries that have semi-public urinals, pissoirs I think they're called. Is that just a French thing, or are they elsewhere, too? 

I also recall reading about an "art toilet" which if memory serves is in London. It has one-way glass and is a large glass booth in a public place that appears to be mirrors from the outside. Anyone use it? Is it still around?

Finally, I just discovered this intriguing bathroom fixture that I suppose you could install in any room of a building with the appropriate plumbing hook-up. The doors appear to close into a translucent cylinder. Fascinating, and somewhat exhibitionistic.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa267402b08cef02e31f0866b23d26bc.jpeg

Edited by deliquescent
Typo
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, deliquescent said:

I'm interested in the various kinds of toilets in public spaces that we don't seem to have in the USA. 

There are some countries that have semi-public urinals, pissoirs I think they're called. Is that just a French thing, or are they elsewhere, too? 

I also recall reading about an "art toilet" which if memory serves is in London. It has one-way glass and is a large glass booth in a public place that appears to be mirrors from the outside. Anyone use it? Is it still around?

Finally, I just discovered this intriguing bathroom fixture that I suppose you could install in any room of a building with the appropriate plumbing hook-up. There door appear to close into a translucent cylinder. Fascinating, and somewhat exhibitionistic.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa267402b08cef02e31f0866b23d26bc.jpeg

First time I've ever seen this particular fixture.  From the looks of it, I can all but guarantee it is expensive

• Like 1

Found the glass walled toilet. It was in Basel, then outside the Tate Museum

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/see-through-loo/

image.jpeg.3ac3f2128fecf0ff4c596aff752c437b.jpeg

"The concept of how we react to “seeing but not being seen” was put to the test by 38-year-old architectural artist Monica Bonvicini in December 2003, when her work entitled “Don’t Miss A Sec” was installed at a construction site (the future home of the Chelsea College of Art and Design) across the road from London’s Tate Britain museum. (That same work was also displayed at an art exhibition in Basel, Switzerland, in June 2004.) Bonvicini’s creation was a public toilet enclosed within reflective glass walls that allowed the user to see out but prevented those outside from seeing in, an exhibit that challenged whether we can adapt to the idea of being able to view others passing in close proximity to us while we engage in an activity which we don’t want them to view — even when we know full well that they can’t possibly see us. "

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, deliquescent said:

Found the glass walled toilet. It was in Basel, then outside the Tate Museum

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/see-through-loo/

image.jpeg.3ac3f2128fecf0ff4c596aff752c437b.jpeg

"The concept of how we react to “seeing but not being seen” was put to the test by 38-year-old architectural artist Monica Bonvicini in December 2003, when her work entitled “Don’t Miss A Sec” was installed at a construction site (the future home of the Chelsea College of Art and Design) across the road from London’s Tate Britain museum. (That same work was also displayed at an art exhibition in Basel, Switzerland, in June 2004.) Bonvicini’s creation was a public toilet enclosed within reflective glass walls that allowed the user to see out but prevented those outside from seeing in, an exhibit that challenged whether we can adapt to the idea of being able to view others passing in close proximity to us while we engage in an activity which we don’t want them to view — even when we know full well that they can’t possibly see us. "

Well, that led me down an interesting rabbit hole. Apparently there are a few one-way window restrooms around the world, though most of them seem to have closed. Various nightclubs would have the upper body above the urinals visible to the bar patrons or to the other gender restroom. Urinals in one case, ladies' sink mirrors in another. Spain, Australia, England, US. 

All news to me.

Then there was this story about exotic toilets around the world. A fun read, with pictures: 

https://m.orangesmile.com/extreme/en/exotic-toilets/index.htm#object-gallery

18 hours ago, deliquescent said:

You might like to check out this thread which covers a lot of outdoor urinals:

In the UK, we have some urinals that pop up out of the floor in heavy drinking areas and some cities have temporary plastic urinals that are put out by the council.   London has some that are just simple "cupboards" for want of a better word that open out to reveal a simple urinal at night.  The common ground on all of these is that they are on the street and have no privacy other than the fact that the peeing person has their back to the passing public and there will be a slight protection from each side.   They are also often used at festivals and carnivals etc.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 7:59 PM, deliquescent said:

Here are a few photos from the internet.

- uritrottoir 02.jpg

_ A Pluto Urinal 02.jpg

UK Portable Urinal.jpg

4 Man Urinal 001.JPG

Edited by gldenwetgoose
  • Like 1