Site Question / Help What classes as copyright?

Hi @jmatthews1995 - thanks for taking the trouble to check.

It's an interesting subject - if I had my photographer's hat on, I'd be making the point that the copyright of every image remains for life with the original creator, even if that image is licensed for use, blah, blah, blah.  On that basis every single picture and video on the site is copyright - and only a relatively small proportion (but a very valued amount) of photos on the site are posted by the originators.

Instead though we take a relatively pragmatic view on copyright - we'd take a slightly dim view on someone posting an image and claiming it as their own work when it's really not. But sharing and celebrating an image on the site isn't a problem generally.  If you do happen to know the origins and can include it as a credit in your post then all the better.

Hope that helps - don't worry too much though, we're very understanding and forgiving too even if there were a problem.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Hi @jmatthews1995 - thanks for taking the trouble to check.

It's an interesting subject - if I had my photographer's hat on, I'd be making the point that the copyright of every image remains for life with the original creator, even if that image is licensed for use, blah, blah, blah.  On that basis every single picture and video on the site is copyright - and only a relatively small proportion (but a very valued amount) of photos on the site are posted by the originators.

Instead though we take a relatively pragmatic view on copyright - we'd take a slightly dim view on someone posting an image and claiming it as their own work when it's really not. But sharing and celebrating an image on the site isn't a problem generally.  If you do happen to know the origins and can include it as a credit in your post then all the better.

Hope that helps - don't worry too much though, we're very understanding and forgiving too even if there were a problem.

Perfect! 🙂 Thank you! At the end of the day, If I post something I will usually show the original content provider etc so people can go and find their full content. I find that screenshots from a video only make me want to go away and buy the vid!

• Like 1