Site Question / Help Direct messages from smartphones - adding photos

Quick question on behalf of another (by own admission not particularly tech-savvy) member: If the direct message dialogue box on a smartphone looks like this:

149434781_497749901623111_2027947296498957086_n.thumb.jpg.f8ece5a882c8a7515b2cf6fb649377ba.jpg

where is the option to add a photo from the device? There seems to be a button missing. Is it a browser issue?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Unfortunately direct uploads are only a feature of gold members. Not browser related. 

All members can upload files to the public forums, but only gold members can upload private attachments. 

However non-gold members can still send images to each other privately, they just need to be uploaded somewhere else first, like imgur.com 

If it's an image already on another site, just copying and pasting it should work too. 🙂 

If you're having the issue too though @Kupar please let me know.

3 minutes ago, Admin said:

Unfortunately direct uploads are only a feature of gold members. Not browser related. 

All members can upload files to the public forums, but only gold members can upload private attachments. 

However non-gold members can still send images to each other privately, they just need to be uploaded somewhere else first, like imgur.com 

If it's an image already on another site, just copying and pasting it should work too. 🙂 

If you're having the issue too though @Kupar please let me know.

Aha! Thanks you. I had completely forgotten the Gold member thing. Now (again) I feel daft. I'm not having issues. (I was asking for a friend, rather than 'asking for a friend', if you know what I mean!)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Kupar said:

Aha! Thanks you. I had completely forgotten the Gold member thing. Now (again) I feel daft. I'm not having issues. (I was asking for a friend, rather than 'asking for a friend', if you know what I mean!)

No problem at all. I lose track myself of who has access to what sometimes. 🤪 

But since there's a cost to peefans for hosting/serving the files, and there's no way to monitor what's going on with them inside PM's, it's just less risky (and expensive) for us to restrict private uploads to just gold members. 

Luckily if your friend doesn't want to upgrade to gold, it's easily navigated around by copying and pasting the image from elsewhere, or using a free upload service. Slightly less convenient and secure that way, but I guess that means it's another incentive to upgrade. 😉

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Admin said:

No problem at all. I lose track myself of who has access to what sometimes. 🤪 

But since there's a cost to peefans for hosting/serving the files, and there's no way to monitor what's going on with them inside PM's, it's just less risky (and expensive) for us to restrict private uploads to just gold members. 

Luckily if your friend doesn't want to upgrade to gold, it's easily navigated around by copying and pasting the image from elsewhere, or using a free upload service. Slightly less convenient and secure that way, but I guess that means it's another incentive to upgrade. 😉

Sure - no worries!